Was I lucky !!!???

JKD

Brief story from a couple of years ago,,,, this was on the company [that I work for] van, 2 months after it's MOT at the only garage it's ever had work done on it. It was driving a bit 'clunky' at the rear, the reason I thought was because we carried a lot of weight in the back regularly, and our routes quite often took us over speed-bumps/cushions,,,, lots of motorway driving too. I checked the tyres and the rear tyres were wearing on the inside, so a roadside tyre company was booked in for a week later. The fitter said the brakes need looking at,,,, so it was booked in at the usual workshop for a week later. This is what they found !!!!!! 😳😳😳

How could that have happened so soon after an MOT at the same garage ???!!!

20201020_214245.jpg

20201020_214221.jpg

20201020_213938.jpg

44 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Was the MoT test booked for a Friday afternoon?

Probably, and it was in mid December 🤔 All of us who have a company van keep telling the boss to change workshops, because [coincidentally] within a month after every visit something else "goes wrong" !

Prior to this 'incident', maybe 2 years before, had new brakes,,,, the next few days there was a chinging noise from the front off-side. Sounded like a small chain bouncing on the road. Took it back in,,,, they road-tested it and couldn't hear anything. I drove it and noticed it straight away. Took it back,,,, "oh" they said,,,, "it was a clip on the brakes that was loose" !!! Oh yeah, of course it was 🤔😒

I could go on, about all 8 vehicles, over the 6 years I've worked for this firm. Why the boss doesn't listen to us I've no idea 🙄

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Probably, and it was in mid December 🤔 All of us who have a company van keep telling the boss to change workshops, because [coincidentally] within a month after every visit something else "goes wrong" !

Prior to this 'incident', maybe 2 years before, had new brakes,,,, the next few days there was a chinging noise from the front off-side. Sounded like a small chain bouncing on the road. Took it back in,,,, they road-tested it and couldn't hear anything. I drove it and noticed it straight away. Took it back,,,, "oh" they said,,,, "it was a clip on the brakes that was loose" !!! Oh yeah, of course it was 🤔😒

I could go on, about all 8 vehicles, over the 6 years I've worked for this firm. Why the boss doesn't listen to us I've no idea 🙄

Sadly it probably comes down to £s not employee safety.

9 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

Sadly it probably comes down to £s not employee safety.

That has been my thoughts too, because there has been so many "coincidences" over the years, it just can't be a coincidence every time 🙄

12 hours ago, decoy1979 said:

Maybe worth reporting the garage/test center or even one of the vehicles if you suspect it has defects? 

That's been thought about too, but that could get complicated and as most 'issues' are minor, no-one has been prepared to go down that route.

Would anyone have any idea as to how the issue shown in the pictures could have happened, and how long from a 13mm dia [?] hole to that gaping hole ? And how the hell did that not just fall apart ?!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Whatever caused it cannot have been over night and should have been noticed and addressed before it got any where near that bad.

Yes I agree, but I was the only driver of that van [Renault Trafic LWB] and despite a bit of knocking over speed bumps etc there was no sign or feeling that anything was wrong 😕 Bearing in mind that we were carrying heavy wall/path or laminate floor 'rubbish' mostly every day. Also, every work-day I had a passenger,,,, if it had 'gone' on a side road or low speed road then it wouldn't have been much of an issue injury wise. But,,,, we were doing lots of motorway driving too,,,, dread to think of the carnage etc if,,,,,,, 😳

Edited by JKD

2 months can be a long time with a commercial vehicle, mine would do 5-10k miles in that time which is easily enough time for a problem to occur.  With that if you only recently noticed the clunking it may have happened faster than you think.

As for choice of garage pounds talk but also how quick they are to get things booked in is a major factor.  Our main dealer even with breakdowns I can be a week or more which is useless.