Trafalgar day

henry d

For anyone who's interested in that period of naval history I can highly recommend a book called  A Line Upon The Wind . It's a very well researched book about the minutiae of the naval  war , but what I most took most from it was that duty and honour were not just words in those days. Rather, they were the underpinning code and motivating force which drove decisions and actions and which everyone at sea  - from the Admiral of the Fleet down to the lowest powder-monkey  -lived by. 

When was the last time you heard anyone say 'Its the honourable thing to do?' Or - outside of some jobsworth or other using it as an excuse to do something they know in their hearts is morally wrong  (I'm just doing my duty).....  when was the last time you heard anyone talk about 'duty' in the sense of a moral obligation to the greater good - part of a code of honour?

Here's to you Henry, and everyone who has served in Her Majesties Navy. 

@Retsdon thanks I will check that out, I've read a couple but hadn't heard of that one.

7 hours ago, Tedward said:

Is it on catchup Henry ?

(honest!)

There was a programme on Lord Nelson's life recently but was a bit sensationalised and light on strategy etc I don't recommend it.

I didn't splice the mainbrace, no rum in the house, but raised a glass of beer to those still on watch, BZ gents.