Yet another scam ?

JKD

Had this come through as a text tuesday. The wording to me doesn't make sense, so If it's a scam, how does that work ? Obviously I haven't clicked on the link, or taken any other action, and I'm not with HSBC 🤔

20201021_110113.jpg

Edited by JKD

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, DELETE 👍

That's been done,,,, I'm suspicious of ANY banking/business text/email even if it purports to be from someone I'm connected with.

54 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Might be worth contacting the HSBC Fraud Department at;

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/

Cheers for that, but it seems you can only contact them online through certain social media avenues that I don't/won't sign up for.

Just now, Bobba said:

I had that one (from HSBC) but with slightly different wording. Deleted. HSBC are aware of these type of scams.

Yeah, I just looked on the scam section on their website and similar 'messages' are shown as examples.

I've currently got a scamming 'company' trying it on with me, supposedly from my mobile phone provider 🤔 yeah right,,,, jog on 👉😂

There is a big 'gap' in how these are dealt with.  It seems that it is quite easy operating from overseas to 'spoof' a UK phone number, so that calls, texts etc. 'appear' to originate in the UK - when in fact they don't.  I don't know enough about the world of telecoms to know if or how this can be stopped.

I have (on my (BT) landline) a free blocking service (called BT Call Protect) - it works quite well (blocks about 20 or 30 calls a month on average), and has two types of blocking;

• First a 'known problem' list held by BT who block known scam/nuisance numbers.  I assume they manage this quite actively
  • Second a facility for me to add numbers (but as this is limited to 100 numbers, it needs 'active management' or it fills up because the scammers change numbers so frequently.

In addition I can block overseas calls (which I do) and 'number withheld' calls - which I don't as so many businesses withhold numbers (for example my Dr. surgery) - which is another nuisance.

Luckily my mobile number is fairly 'scam free' - though I get occasional ones from lawyers about the 'motor accident you were recently involved in'.

31 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a big 'gap' in how these are dealt with.  It seems that it is quite easy operating from overseas to 'spoof' a UK phone number, so that calls, texts etc. 'appear' to originate in the UK - when in fact they don't.  I don't know enough about the world of telecoms to know if or how this can be stopped.

I have (on my (BT) landline) a free blocking service (called BT Call Protect) - it works quite well (blocks about 20 or 30 calls a month on average), and has two types of blocking;

• First a 'known problem' list held by BT who block known scam/nuisance numbers.  I assume they manage this quite actively
  • Second a facility for me to add numbers (but as this is limited to 100 numbers, it needs 'active management' or it fills up because the scammers change numbers so frequently.

In addition I can block overseas calls (which I do) and 'number withheld' calls - which I don't as so many businesses withhold numbers (for example my Dr. surgery) - which is another nuisance.

Luckily my mobile number is fairly 'scam free' - though I get occasional ones from lawyers about the 'motor accident you were recently involved in'.

Well 'they' do appear to be clever, but if anyone you are 'with' calls/texts/emails about something important they will try again/leave a voice message, or write to you,,,, but mostly in the first instance they will write to you.

I get texts and emails from my bank and mobile phone/broadband provider etc, but they are all in a non-reply format. I then just log on to a particular account via an app or on the Internet and deal with the business that way,,,, it's simple really 🤔

If I get a call from any number I don't recognise I ignore it. If they don't leave a voice message then it's obviously not important, ie, probably a nuisance call or an attempted scam 😒

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

I get similar texts from my bank but only IMMEDIATELY after I have added a new payee. I don't get them any other time. 

I get these too. It's an optional notification. Anything out of the ordinary gets ignored, then binned 👍

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

i had a voice mail. from HMRC saying if i dont press 1, then the police will came and get me,

I got a text from HMRC with a link to follow. I just deleted it.  Also a recorded message from Amazon

saying they are taking money from my prime account which i don't happen to have. 

Got to be on your guard at all times.

3 days ago i got a text from a 5 figure phone number, i just ignore them and dont reply.

Then yesterday i get a text from O2 telling me i have been charged £3.75 for a premium rate text. I checked back to this text and saw i had never replied to it. Something about cheap holidays...

Contacted O2 and was told i would have pay this and the charge stood. She gave me a number for the company to reclaim the cost from them. Unbelievable!!

I have to pay for recieving a text!

It seems there is something you can now add to your account that stops this but only for accounts after 2018.

Edited by del.gue

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

i had a voice mail. from HMRC saying if i dont press 1, then the police will came and get me,

I had this exact call today at just gone 9am from a London 0208 number.  Saying a warrant would be issued and the police would come for me shortly 🤣 

16 minutes ago, del.gue said:

I have to pay for receiving a text!

What I suspect is that you have been charged for the 'international' part of the charge for a text sent from overseas.  It is (or at least was) the same on a mobile if you answered an international call.  The caller paid the standard rate - and the recipient paid the international bit.  The reason given was that the caller - in dialling a UK mobile (which happens to be say on holiday overseas)  - wouldn't know that the call was 'international' and therefore MUCH more expensive.