First shotgun

MWildfowler

Hi guys, I’m just waiting for my SGC and wanted some advice. I’m considering to get either a Winchester SX4 or and Armsan A612. How are these as a first gun? I’ll mainly be using them for clays, pigeon and wildfowling. I’m open to other guns as well, thought I’d do my research prior to my license arriving! 

The Winchester SX3 comes with more chokes and stuff and is though of as better gun than the sx4.  The Armsan A612 is a ok budget gun.

A Benelli M2 used is a cracking gun no gas parts to need cleaning being inertia, the Browning Maxus black synthetic 31/2" is a nice to . Both can be had for reasonable money, there was a M2 in the gun sales section

Edited by figgy

36 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Never mind the guns, before it's too late and you fork out, just make sure that you get a big enough cabinet. One that holds 6 will just about do to start with. You're going to want an OU or two or similarly a SbS.

And welcome to PW. Enjoy.

yes 6 to start with then you can top and tail them till you need to get another cabinet !

@figgyso you’d recommend a gun that isn’t gas? I take it it’s easier to maintain if it is not gas. I’ve got a 4 gun cabinet for now and will upgrade I’m sure in due course. 

Any good o/u you guys would recommend? Don’t want to spend too much on it as my main gun for everything will be a semi auto and the o/u (if/when I get one) will just be for the clay ground 

All depends on your budget really, if you don't have much cash at the minute then the Armsan will do the job perfectly well. If you have a few more quid to spend then you can look at the more expensive/refined guns. If you are getting an auto make sure it has shims so the stock can easily be adjusted to get a better fit.

Just get whatever you can afford at the moment. 

I'm not even sure there are any that should be avoided like the plague really, although I have my opinions as to which I would personally avoid, there will be those who have one and swear by them. 

As for the auto, if you're a wildfowler as your avatar suggests, I'd be going for the Baikel MP 153. 

To the OP, are you as your name suggests a Wildfowler?

Or are you as your narrative suggests just getting in to shooting?

Go to as many shooting grounds as you can that have guns you can try, shoot with a few and then you will start to get a feel for what you want.

Welcome to Pigeon Watch!

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Never mind the guns, before it's too late and you fork out, just make sure that you get a big enough cabinet. One that holds 6 will just about do to start with. You're going to want an OU or two or similarly a SbS.

And welcome to PW. Enjoy.

Don’t fall into that trap like the rest of us & end up having a cabinet full of junk guns, do your research decide on one good gun.

Edited by blackbird

Thanks to all the replies guys. I did want something with a 3.5” chamber hence the Winchester is on the list but I’ve read very good reviews for the armsan. My price budget is around the £1000 mark. 

@TIGHTCHOKE I’ve attended wiildfowling many times abroad and it is one thing that I’m very keen on but not been involved in the UK before. Last thing I wanna do is get a gun that is not suitable to take the bigger cartridges and end up on a goose shoot, would kind of be stuck there

If your budget is a £1000.00 then you have a good choice, my Wildfowling gun is a black synthetic Browning Maxus 31/2" chamber. You can use it for everything, soft shooting and can handle the big carts. I bought an ex demo one been on a stand at gunshow as a demo gun for a good price from Gilsans of Melsonby.  You could buy a good usEd Winchester SX3 and a decent over and under for your budget.

Where do you live, it may help in suggestions of where to look or try guns.

Edited by figgy

I have a gas Beretta. Inertia is the better technology but if you need a “one gun for everything” then the difference in loads may cause more of an issue for you than a gas mechanism. 

If i were you I would buy an old second  hand gun from a top manufacturer. One that will hold its value. You are learning and will find what you do and don’t like soon enough. Best to buy a gun you can resell without losing value (unless you have deep pockets). 

The make or model is irrelevant, it is more "Can I shoot and live with this gun " ?     You really need to seek some advice before parting with any money. Try and find a shooting ground with a gunshop, even if it means a day out to get there. Try as many of the guns that YOU think may be suitable.  For what it is worth, I would opt for an older Beretta gas auto. They can be picked up for around £200 to £400 dependent on model and condition. In over 60 years of shooting, I have only EVER had 3 new guns (and lost money on 2 of them  !)  so look for a good used model. The Armsan that you mention, also seems excellent value for money and those that have them, seem to be pleased.  The Franchi is also a nice auto.  I bought a £100 Beretta 301 which was being scrapped. It is now running as sweet as a nut after a complete overhaul and some new parts fitted, including some very generous contributions from other PW members  !   It is not 'Pristine'  but it will make a great pigeon and wild fowl gun.

5 hours ago, MWildfowler said:

@figgyso you’d recommend a gun that isn’t gas? I take it it’s easier to maintain if it is not gas. I’ve got a 4 gun cabinet for now and will upgrade I’m sure in due course. 

Any good o/u you guys would recommend? Don’t want to spend too much on it as my main gun for everything will be a semi auto and the o/u (if/when I get one) will just be for the clay ground 

The gas auto, unless it is one of the over engineered Beretta guns (391 onwards) is NOT harder to maintain, believe me. I use a Beretta 303 for clays and it takes less time to clean than my O/U's. The obvious is to use a 'clean' cartridge to start with. I only remove the bolt and trigger assembly after every fifth or sixth outing. My gun will shoot down to 24 gram cartridges (70 mm or longer) without a hitch, it has a Briley extended 1/4 choke in the end and will deal with every target that I have encountered at the several grounds that I visit. If you are looking for a cheap reliable O/U, then look at a Baikal. It may need the stock comb building up, BUT, you will never break it  !