Laptops and monitors.

Cranfield

I have a 17" HP laptop with 1920 x 1080 resolution.
I use it in conjunction with a 24" monitor,  a Samsung S22D300HY , with 1920 x 1080 resolution and is about 8+ years old.
The monitor has never had as clear a picture as the laptop and for the last few months the control image, bottom right hand corner, keeps randomly appearing, I also have had the green screen a few times.
I have decided its time for a change.

Not being a techie, the review sites go over my head a bit and seem to contradict each other somewhat.
I tried a couple of major retail outlets, but I got the impression I knew more than the assistant, which was worrying.
I appreciate the more I pay, its likely the better item I will get , but I use the monitor for sports, films, videos, etc., not gaming.
Can anyone recommend a monitor, thats reasonably priced and should fit the bill.

My daughter has the same set up, lap top wired to a bigger monitor. She has just upgraded her monitor to one made by HP she paid around 170 quid for it and the picture is crystal clear, she says the best ones to get are always for gaming, her laptop is Alienware which I think is Dell not sure and is a dedicated gaming machine, but she don't play games, she uses it mainly for shopping and graphic design. The powerful graphics cards in gaming computers can easily handle CAD software apparently.  But the Alienware desktop is supposedly rubbish compared to the laptop.

So its a HP monitor very slim in design around the £170 mark if thats any help.

Edited by fatchap

Oh dear...I am a techie...

The green screen & flickering is often indicative of a physically broken cable between the monitor and the computer, a fuzzy screen could be an indication that it isn't displaying it's 'native' resolution but rather doing an emulation of the resolution - may flicker too.    

Monitor technology has improved markedly over the years and now it's possible to get screens larger that 24" for not silly money, I use a 27" LG, if you have the space then bigger is definitely better - the ability to work on two documents side by side.   Make sure the monitor you buy has a video output port that matches that of the laptop - i.e. if the laptop has the old fashioned VGA D-SUB video port you need the same on the monitor - adapter dongle plugs can help here too.   Modern displays tend to have DVI-D (white socket), HDMI and DP-Display Port.

18 hours ago, Cranfield said:

I appreciate the more I pay, its likely the better item I will get , but I use the monitor for sports, films, videos, etc., not gaming.

Don't you just want a TV then? 😉

My brother has spent a fair amount of time trying different monitors for work. He's got 2 of these now and says they're great for the money

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Philips-243V7QDAB-23-8-Inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B06XZKTR88/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g1285150262?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

I use a 23" widescreen TV with freeview as a desktop PC monitor but it needs to be turned on/off separately with the PC.

Makes it more versatile and has the TV bonus, and a modern TV is very likely to have an excellent picture quality if it has DLED screen technology.

Remember the distance selling regs, buy one online from argos and you have a few days to try it and can return it for any reason you like.

Edited by Dave-G

Monitors that failed quality control got sent to the tv production line.... there are lots of reason for these issues but a decent monitor on a decent connection Display per or HDMI should be clear and clean if not gaming the response rate is less of a concern. Calibrating grey scale helps loads 

Updating your laptop is usually the biggest improvement.

My laptop is old and around 8 years old too, the display when sent via HDMI to a TV shows how poor the graphics are in it. 

Used a decent dell laptop at work that was a couple years old and it was night and day better graphics compared to mine.