Tungsten shot

On 23/10/2020 at 22:05, Smiler23 said:

I got 20kg last week, straight from China , I was given the number by a member off here... I wish the UK could make transactions and deliver as efficiently as they did.. ordered Monday morning was in my kitchen by Thursday afternoon

do you mind me asking,did you have to pay import tax when it arrived like you do from the yanks? and how much was it

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi l patterned 28gauge tss load today, no rain or wind. The load was with A1 powder and 18 grams of tss 18 no 7 shot the range was 53 meters / 58 yards. The choke was steel proof,50mm extended improved modified . I shot a bit left. Even with a more open choke very straight shooting would be required to hit moving targets. The circle is 30inch the paper is two piece of backing paper taped together. These small pellets have a lot of energy, on wildfowl they don’t take feathers into the flesh. 

0A327FBE-DFEE-4873-B423-85E932842BAE.jpeg

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Some cracking cases there Widgeon Jim. Not seen any like that for years. Eley VIP in green were last ones I had. Supreme game were black iirc.

Nice that the tts loads are working well 👍

I've some of them cases they look like  there baschieri & pellageri (B&P) Valley steel cases and they reload perfectly 

Edited by m greeny

On 12/12/2020 at 07:43, Gas seal said:

Hi l patterned 28gauge tss load today, no rain or wind. The load was with A1 powder and 18 grams of tss 18 no 7 shot the range was 53 meters / 58 yards. The choke was steel proof,50mm extended improved modified . I shot a bit left. Even with a more open choke very straight shooting would be required to hit moving targets. The circle is 30inch the paper is two piece of backing paper taped together. These small pellets have a lot of energy, on wildfowl they don’t take feathers into the flesh. 

0A327FBE-DFEE-4873-B423-85E932842BAE.jpeg

That is quite unbelievable patterning, especially from a subgauge with only 18 grams.

On 24/10/2020 at 03:44, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Has anyone imported TSS direct from China?

Or has anyone a cheap source

Just importing now 3kg of #7 for fox hunting in my 20 gauge via Alibaba. I haven't reloaded a shotgun in years so when I get some patterns done I will report back here. It cost US$267 including freight but excluding 10% import tax. 20 gauge TSS turkey loads are excess of US$10/shot. I think I can do them for under US$4/shot by repurposing Eley 28gram 20 gauge target loads, wrapping mylar in the wad and roll crimping. I'll see how I get on.

Hi in 28gauge with TSS I use 70mm case and TPS wads. The wads fit the cases , for a good crimp, but take more packing under the shot. I also use Gualandi  h37 with three Mylar wraps and Gualandi h30 wad over the power as a spacer this was the load I patterned. I buy Mylar in A 4 sheet and cut to size. 18 grams of TSS will kill Canada geese . I’m sure 28 grams in any gauge will kill a fox . In 20 gauge you could use b and p  steel wads with Mylar wraps or TPS wads . Mylar wraps will help to fill the wad, less packers ( under the shot not over it). These small pellets have a lot of energy and the patterns will keep tight beyond 60 yards. Any goose shot at 40 yards or less wouldn’t be good for the table.

Thanks Gas seal. I have spent a few hours yesterday pulling apart my 20 gauge loads. I had Eley CT20 7.5 lead, NSI Plumbum 20 31gram #0 and GB 30 gram BB load. It was very revealing as filled up with the equivalent number of shot for a TSS loads of 7.5 with 18 grams, 24 grams and 28 grams to see how much space in the wad without mylar, spacers or buffer. It looks like with one mylar wrap I can get 28 grams of TSS 7.5 in the Eley wad without overfillng the wad and 24 grams in the NSI wad. The GB will be too big with about 36 grams in there assuming I keep the same powder charge of the factory components. Just waiting for my components to arrive in the next week or so. The GB loads have a 6mm gap before the split in the wad which would hold the TSS nicely compared to Eley at 3.5mm but there is a lot of space. One option I looked at was to use 18 grams of #7 TSS and fill the rest with steel shot to make the weight back up to 28 grams. That will be close but there might not be enough room like the Eley and the NSI to do the roll crimp. I guess I'll have to have to experiment more when I get the shot in my hands.

Cut_Eley_CT18_2.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Fill_Over_Wad_28G.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Fill_With Mylar.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Roll_Crimp.JPG

20_Gauge_TSS_Calc.JPG

14 hours ago, mchughcb said:

Thanks Gas seal. I have spent a few hours yesterday pulling apart my 20 gauge loads. I had Eley CT20 7.5 lead, NSI Plumbum 20 31gram #0 and GB 30 gram BB load. It was very revealing as filled up with the equivalent number of shot for a TSS loads of 7.5 with 18 grams, 24 grams and 28 grams to see how much space in the wad without mylar, spacers or buffer. It looks like with one mylar wrap I can get 28 grams of TSS 7.5 in the Eley wad without overfillng the wad and 24 grams in the NSI wad. The GB will be too big with about 36 grams in there assuming I keep the same powder charge of the factory components. Just waiting for my components to arrive in the next week or so. The GB loads have a 6mm gap before the split in the wad which would hold the TSS nicely compared to Eley at 3.5mm but there is a lot of space. One option I looked at was to use 18 grams of #7 TSS and fill the rest with steel shot to make the weight back up to 28 grams. That will be close but there might not be enough room like the Eley and the NSI to do the roll crimp. I guess I'll have to have to experiment more when I get the shot in my hands.

Cut_Eley_CT18_2.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Fill_Over_Wad_28G.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Fill_With Mylar.JPG

Cut_Eley_CT18_Roll_Crimp.JPG

20_Gauge_TSS_Calc.JPG

You're not thinking of using TSS in lead wads I hope.

Yes I am. I measured the thickness of the 20 gauge steel wads to be 0.67mm. I measured the thickness of the 20 gauge steel wads to be 0.67mm.

9 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi loading data is available on Clay and Game website . It’s on the tungsten shot page. I use Mylar 125 or 190 microns and cut them so they over lap about 5 mm. When using more than one l keep the (joints) opposite each other. I use Mylar 125 microns when loading steel shot. 

I have some mylar wraps coming so I can put them inside the wads. I can start with a couple overlapping. If the small TSS can cut through two layers of mylar and the wad in 28  inches then I'll use more.

Hi mchughcb you should use your loading data  , please don’t just change the shot in your commercial cartridges ,with steel wads then use packers and Mylar wraps to suit your loads .The wraps are good for adjusting the amount of space in the wad . 28grams of TSS shot will fill two thirds of a 28gauge TPS  wad and about half of a 20gauge Steel wad. . Hi island gun TSS is a game changer. The 28gauge keeps a tight pattern for a long way. The difference between 15 grams of steel and 18 grams of TSS or power shot is unbelievable. ITM shot will pattern better in 8gauge and 10gauge. TSS  and power shot will pattern better in 20 and 28gauge and the range will be as good or better than 12 gauge  . I never thought I would be able to use the 28gauge to match a magnum 12gauge. I will try 32 grams of TSS in 12gauge with the card shot cups and more open choke it could be a good load and the wads are biodegradable. The card cup wads aren’t made in small gauge because they wouldn’t hold enough shot, but would be a good wad  for 20 and 28gauge with TSS shot and they are biodegradable. It’s strange loading a 28gauge wad with more packing than shot after filling up a 10gauge wad with large size steel shot. 

Thanks Gas seal. I will not be mixing and matching my wads with loads. Looking at the different wads I've pulled apart it appears I have the CSD203 which by the way is the "one" recipe that is publicly listed by BPI. BPI specifically lists the CSD203 wad as suitable for lead and other non toxic shot. The others include Gualandi and B&P. With regards to the load charges for ultra heavy loads in the 20 gauge and smaller there are is no published data for the powders I can get down here for the ultra heavy loads but that's okay i'm not after much more than an ounce anyway as I'm not shooting turkeys at 70 yards. 

P1030606.JPG

Guest cookoff013

Yeah, dont replace compression wads with those that have no compression. Ive done it before and had them tested pressures doubled. Thats a big risk when the donor load / cartridge is innefficient. As soon as that powder gets burned more clean, pressures shot right up. 650bar load went 1280bar. I didnt publish the data. 

Just be careful.

Well the 3kg of TSS arrived today. Its very heavy. I don't expect anybody to give me advice so I'll proceed cautiously. So far my calculations look good and I'm improvising on the other materials until they arrive from the USA - mylar and overshot cards. With a bit of luck I'll get the first tests down the range on Saturday.

Guest cookoff013
7 hours ago, mchughcb said:

Well the 3kg of TSS arrived today. Its very heavy. I don't expect anybody to give me advice so I'll proceed cautiously. So far my calculations look good and I'm improvising on the other materials until they arrive from the USA - mylar and overshot cards. With a bit of luck I'll get the first tests down the range on Saturday.

Can you check the barrel before firing any tungsten? Just to make sure marks arnt there

8 hours ago, mchughcb said:

How heavy is your 3kg of tss 😂😋

Edited by figgy

On 29/12/2020 at 16:51, Gas seal said:

Hi mchughcb you should use your loading data  , please don’t just change the shot in your commercial cartridges ,with steel wads then use packers and Mylar wraps to suit your loads .The wraps are good for adjusting the amount of space in the wad . 28grams of TSS shot will fill two thirds of a 28gauge TPS  wad and about half of a 20gauge Steel wad. . Hi island gun TSS is a game changer. The 28gauge keeps a tight pattern for a long way. The difference between 15 grams of steel and 18 grams of TSS or power shot is unbelievable. ITM shot will pattern better in 8gauge and 10gauge. TSS  and power shot will pattern better in 20 and 28gauge and the range will be as good or better than 12 gauge  . I never thought I would be able to use the 28gauge to match a magnum 12gauge. I will try 32 grams of TSS in 12gauge with the card shot cups and more open choke it could be a good load and the wads are biodegradable. The card cup wads aren’t made in small gauge because they wouldn’t hold enough shot, but would be a good wad  for 20 and 28gauge with TSS shot and they are biodegradable. It’s strange loading a 28gauge wad with more packing than shot after filling up a 10gauge wad with large size steel shot. 

Let us know how you get on with the fibre cups with the 12g, I would imagine an open choke and TSS would be very effective..😉

19 hours ago, figgy said:

How heavy is your 3kg of tss 😂😋

Its 3kg. But in a very small packet. Hard to believe until you go to pick it up.

20 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Can you check the barrel before firing any tungsten? Just to make sure marks arnt there

Yes I've had the silver pigeon since new. Barrels are fine.