Tungsten shot

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 yards is easy doable with steel, just need the right size shot carts. 

But my comment still stands #9 TSS isn't needed for ducks unless your really pushing the range then a bigger size TSS is required.

Most will shoot ducks at no more than 40 yards.

On 29/12/2020 at 10:23, motty said:

You're not thinking of using TSS in lead wads I hope.

Today i recovered several B&P wad uaed in normal lead clay target cartidges that had been replaced with TSS 18 #9. None had the walls cut through. They looked like a normal lead wad after firing.

Could you clarify the issue with using the B&P wads?

10 hours ago, mchughcb said:

Today i recovered several B&P wad uaed in normal lead clay target cartidges that had been replaced with TSS 18 #9. None had the walls cut through. They looked like a normal lead wad after firing.

Could you clarify the issue with using the B&P wads?

As a rule, lead wads are not up to the job with harder shot types. You may well get away with it with smaller, more "fluid' shot sizes.

5 hours ago, motty said:

As a rule, lead wads are not up to the job with harder shot types. You may well get away with it with smaller, more "fluid' shot sizes.

Thank you for clarifying it for me. Have you measured the weight or thickness of comparable wads to understand what differences there are in either wall thickness or density or written to B&P, Eley, Gamebore, GB , NSI or Winchester to confirm what you are saying?

44 minutes ago, mchughcb said:

Checking the three wads i recovered they aren't rubbing through.

TSS us less of a problem, TPS wads are designed to handle non toxic shot up to large lettered shot such as T and BBB etc so us very thick where individual pellets can put a lot of force onto one area of the wad wall.

No 7 and no 9 tungsten due to small size do not penetrate wad wall as much.

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

TSS us less of a problem, TPS wads are designed to handle non toxic shot up to large lettered shot such as T and BBB etc so us very thick where individual pellets can put a lot of force onto one area of the wad wall.

No 7 and no 9 tungsten due to small size do not penetrate wad wall as much.

Not only the wad thickness to think about using tss as the small shot size is easy capable of squeezing through the wad slits and coming into contact with the barrel hence why using mylar is advised

5 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Were do you source your mylar, yanks talk about using crisp bags?

Yes just cutting up strips of crisp bags. Its cheap and available. I just wash and dry first to get oil off it.

Making the 410 move up a few notches in performance