Adding an extra electric point

steve_b_wales

As most things 'it depends'

1. Take the 2 screws out and pull the socket away from the wall

2. There will either be 3 or 6 or 9 wires ( all sets of 3 )

3. If there are 3 or 9 then call a sparky

4 a. If there 6 you have part of a ring main system. You can do it easily, if you need to run something powerful then copy what you can see at your new socket with new 2.5mm T&E (twin and earth, you can buy it by the metre ) take your 2 new sets of 3 to your old socket and remake the ring main

b. If it's to run a small appliance on occasion or lamp etc then just add a piece of 2.5T&E to the new socket as a spur

Edited by Shearwater

26 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

4 a. If there 6 you have part of a ring main system. You can do it easily, if you need to run something powerful then copy what you can see at your new socket with new 2.5mm T&E (twin and earth, you can buy it by the metre ) take your 2 new sets of 3 to your old socket and remake the ring main

b. If it's to run a small appliance on occasion or lamp etc then just add a piece of 2.5T&E to the new socket as a spur

really ? stick to the day job.

spend half my time sorting out diy cack.

I am going with the thought of its okay just adding the wire when i first moved here a sparky from work doubled up all my sockets singles became doubles, doubles became trebles and im sure he just added wire and changed the fronts 

Ran beside lamp switches as well round each side of the headboard but did that with trunking 

Best post office bag of used golf balls i ever traded    

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-2m-4-way-extension-lead/p/0021777?gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDhzvA7rfhqlYAQg9zQcnggA7bKVHssU3hiPGTyrf8K_lo6yK2V09mxoCQSgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stick to the wall with some double sided sticky tape, the benefit is you can move it around the kitchen. 

Seriously though i would ask a nice lecy to do it. if you do the chasing out it will save you a few quid. 

3 hours ago, Remimax said:

Helpful lol .......

what do you spend the other half doing? Sucking your teeth and scratching your ****? It’s hardly wiring a nuclear plant it’s  adding a double socket in a hallway..... 

hardly rocket surgery.....

11 hours ago, Remimax said:

What I suggested isn't wrong; ring main or spur. I also tried to keep it simple for the OP. Did you notice the way I start a sentence with a capital letter on each occasion?

9 hours ago, HDAV said:

Helpful lol .......

what do you spend the other half doing? Sucking your teeth and scratching your ****? It’s hardly wiring a nuclear plant it’s  adding a double socket in a hallway..... 

For some a task like this can be daunting for others very easy my area is pipe work and belive me I have seen a lot of teeth sucking moments, everyone to there own there is no shame in asking for advice or employing someone to do it for you. 

9 hours ago, HDAV said:

Helpful lol .......

funnily enough the  other half is spent inspection testing and certification which doesnt apply to  diyers.

15 hours ago, Shearwater said:

As most things 'it depends'

1. Take the 2 screws out and pull the socket away from the wall

2. There will either be 3 or 6 or 9 wires ( all sets of 3 )

3. If there are 3 or 9 then call a sparky

For number 4 not necessarily could be in the middle of a radial circuit, you'd need to check continuity or at least you have 2 lives.

Our old cottage has a 32amp ring for the kitchen and had a 20amp radial for the rest of the house. I had a new board put in last year and had the radial split to 2 32amp rings. It was a lot of upheaval but now if its not cold enough to put the heating on we can put a few heaters on around the house.

17 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I want to add another double point, approx' 12" from the original one. Is it just a case of linking the two together by means of cable?

If the existing socket is part of a standard ring main i.e all connections doubled up, then you can run a spur on a single 2.5 cable but, as I understand it, it must be a single socket. Remimax probably knows for sure but it's worth checking, because in the event of a house fire you could find yourself uninsured.

It's also extremely bad practice to run wires horizontally, so it should be run vertically down, under the floorboards and back up to the spur socket.

22 hours ago, Westward said:

I didn't say it isn't permitted, I said - and I'm speaking as an engineer - it's bad 

What kind of engineer? 

How can something be bad practice if its an approved route? None of the various inspectors have ever mentioned it to me (part p domestic installer) or my sparks that I now sub all my work out to.

If you don't like doing it, thats fine, you work your way. But to tell someone a thing is bad practice when it clearly isn't considered that by the regulatory body and doing it that way would not make it fail any inspection is ridiculous. 

On 25/10/2020 at 15:24, Westward said:

I didn't say it isn't permitted, I said - and I'm speaking as an engineer - it's bad practice. 

Sorry, but not ‘bad practise’ at all, especially when it comes to ‘alterations’ not wiring from scratch where it wouldn’t be an issue. Perfectly well permitted to run horizontal or vertical from an accessory. What it would be is be poor time management taking carpet/floor up to run cable down and back up to a socket a foot over to one side!