What to bring to shoot invite?

Wb123

We have moved next door to a family owned shoot, 80 acres of partridge usually kept for the enjoyment of the owning family who live abroad. 

We have been invited to tomorrow’s shoot, but the chap who rents one of the houses on the place and acts as defacto gamekeeper has only spoken to the other half and it’s not clear what we are expected to do. 

I expect to bring dog, dispatcher, and be appropriately dressed. But should I bring a gun, or tip and if so how much?

We do love easilly close enough (300m) to run back for the gun if need be so I was planning to arrive prepared for beating duties and run back if need be. But what should I pack in terms of cash of any?

Its pretty difficult to answer this question but if it was myself i would dress smartly  bring my dog and have my gun tucked in the car just in case. 

I always bring a bottle of something to give to the host and sometimes some sort of biscuits or homebakes etc.

You could always have some cash in your wallet and try and judge accordingly from the days events whats necessary eg tips.

And most importantly have fun as if you are shooting a happy guest can make a hosts day!

Never turn up with a gun! I have on several occasions been in your predicament and have been able to hide a gun in the car or been given a spare gun. You get the mick taken out of you but I cannot imagine how the opposite would turn out. You can borrow a gun or run back 300m. Put it in the cabinet sleeved with cartridge bag and ear defenders, tip etc next to the door. It just drive and pop them in your car, no different to a shoot day even if it is 50m from your house. 

Whether bearing or shooting have a great day. We are all envious 👍

Yes, I think I am with Dougy here, no harm done to just check and then no embarrasment either way.  A nice bottle for your host wouldn't go amiss and twenty five or thirty notes in your wallet should cover any tip. Also put some small change in your pocket as there may be a little dabble on guessing the bag.  Of course thank your host for the invite but also it goes down well if you walk over and thank the beaters as well, it doesn't happen often enough.  Whatever , have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, Dougy said:

You would look a bit on the silly side, and expect feel rather embarrassed turning up with shotgun and all the globber when your on the beating line. 

I would ask the mrs to ring and ask what the invite for ? 

Yea, really it should have been made a bit clearer to begin with , do the guns meet at the same place ? , is it fibre wad only if you are shooting ? . no harm in ringing up the chap who run it to find out what you are expected to do , have a good day .

Bring enough cartridges. Fibre wad. Even if in fact plastic wads are OK bringing fibre wads will mean there won't be a problem if plastic wads are not OK. Nothing worse than running out of cartridges and if you do it mid-drive it is a cardinal sin. Next bring a tie. It doesn't much matter what else you wear as long as you are wearing a collar and tie. You can wear pretty much the same for beating as you would for shooting depending, that is, on what you would...if beating...be beating through. 

You have been invited to shoot. As Scully has said you don't get asked to go beating. You are being welcomed to the area with a very kind gesture. Take a bottle of malt for the host and if you want to score extra brownie points a slab of beer for the beaters. 

If everyone at the end of the day is tipping join in and don't be shy to ask what the tipping amount is as it may include an extra to cover beaters. It might be £30 for the keeper and £20 to cover the beaters.

Relax and enjoy the day as their guest they will be trying to make you have a great day!

I would have thought moving in next door, they’ve invoices you along for a day to maybe get you paying for them on if you enjoy it, or as a kind of welcome. Also to keep you on side, rather than complaining of noise or dead birds falling in your garden. Or have you shooting birds as they fly over your garden even. 

If it were me I’d definitely take the gun, and take a little offence if they’ve invited you along just to be a beater.

it would be like inviting your new neighbour to a dinner party just to serve drinks to your real guests...

Sloe gin, lots of small boxes of quail eggs, dog, other half, and went back for the gun. 

I shot, the other half did some flag work and showed the dog her first proper shoot. The bag was small but the company terrific, got to meet lots of interesting local people, the other half thoroughly enjoyed herself also.

15 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Sloe gin, lots of small boxes of quail eggs, dog, other half, and went back for the gun. 

I shot, the other half did some flag work and showed the dog her first proper shoot. The bag was small but the company terrific, got to meet lots of interesting local people, the other half thoroughly enjoyed herself also.

Fabulous, that’s what it’s all about! Pleased you enjoyed the day. 👍