Which office coffee machine

Mungler

We are in the process of refurbishing our reception area at work and are looking at a new coffee machine.

For years be have used a bravilor filter machine and kenco ground coffee by the kilo bag. In fairness it’s been brilliant and when a brew goes on people queue for a fresh one out the pot. Trouble is +10 minutes past brewing and the coffee gets that ‘brewed in the bot’ yukky flavour.

So, I know there’s some coffee ultra pros on here and some vendors - so what’s the recommendation for an office and say 30 regular users.

Ta very. 

A bean to cup machine is probably your best bet but all the coffee beans in the hopper really need to get used before changing type.

I now have a Nespresso Vertuo, which - whilst more expensive per cup - Each user can have their own type of coffee by using whichever capsule they choose.

And the coffee really is delicious.

I've been working in the odd office [insurance repairs] over the last few years, and the pod type coffee machines have taken over. I personally don't like that type of coffee, but in the office environment they seem much cleaner, more compact and the flavour options are almost limitless. But,,,, you will need more cupboard space to store all the pods 😊

Just now, Mungler said:

I’m not a fan of the pods purely based on the volume of coffee the office drinks and the time in motion man in me doesn’t want everyone taking 5 minutes to make a cup of coffee.

I reckon the answer is a new bravilor machine 😆

Do you time them going to the lavatory too?

12 minutes ago, amateur said:

I deeply sympathise

I wasn’t looking for sympathy.

Anyone who has actually run a business will know of what I speak. 

30 people x 5 minutes (min) for an individual coffee at 9 am, then again at noon and one in the afternoon. Say 15 mins a day per person (and that’s on top of toilet breaks and the morning mother’s meeting that takes place at 9 am every day etc). 

That’s 2000 hours a year and at an average of £17 per hour that works out to £34,000 a year right there in coffee making time (and which is why dedicated tea ladies in offices are a good idea).

Its all about looking after your customers, serving an Asda own branded instant coffee in plastic cups would be a bit of a P take. Quality customers Quality service.

Our place has a kitchen area, if you want to find someone and their not at their desk that's were they'll be. Brewing.

Edited by Dougy

24 minutes ago, Mungler said:

30 people x 5 minutes (min) for an individual coffee at 9 am, then again at noon and one in the afternoon. Say 15 mins a day per person (and that’s on top of toilet breaks and the morning mother’s meeting that takes place at 9 am every day etc). 

That’s 2000 hours a year and at an average of £17 per hour that works out to £34,000 a year right there in coffee making time (and which is why dedicated tea ladies in offices are a good idea).

God you're such a tightwad 😆, I bet you'd make the tea lady wear roller skates to get around faster 😆.

You're staff are lucky to have an easy going boss . Some companies expect you to be working at your start time , and you don't stop until your break time bell rings.👍.

10 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

God you're such a tightwad 😆, I bet you'd make the tea lady wear roller skates to get around faster 😆.

You're staff are lucky to have an easy going boss . Some companies expect you to be working at your start time , and you don't stop until your break time bell rings.👍.

What coffee machine do you and the lads have? 🤔

ohh sorry it’s tea and a finger biscuit in the bone China saucers 🙄

I can highly recommend a Delongi. A bean to cup so you can use Aldi (cheap) or Coffee Pharmacies(not cheap) beans!  Also no tree huggers on your case for the non-recyclable coffee pods.I have the magnifico which is about 6 yrs old and still going strong. Not sure what the equivalent model is now? Makes excellent coffee. Get one with the biggest (2ltr) water tank. Maybe see if they do a mains water fed one as you only get about 15 cups per fill.

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

What coffee machine do you and the lads have? 🤔

ohh sorry it’s tea and a finger biscuit in the bone China saucers 🙄

The coffee machine at work is truly awful ,  I don't know how the other lads can use it .  I'd rather drink water from a muddy puddle .

Obviously when I'm at home , it's fine bone China for me , but that goes without saying for a gentleman of such refinement like wot I am 😅.

Just now, mel b3 said:

The coffee machine at work is truly awful ,  I don't know how the other lads can use it .  I'd rather drink water from a muddy puddle .

Obviously when I'm at home , it's fine bone China for me , but that goes without saying for a gentleman of such refinement like wot I am 😅.

Like wot i is 😂

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

Anyone who has actually run a business will know of what I speak. ......... and which is why dedicated tea ladies in offices are a good idea

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

We kept the tea lady ( old employee, devoted to the MD, good source of who was saying what) but she eventually had to retire and was replaced by machines.

Proper coffee? Luxury! Not even from the tea lady.

I would go down the commercial route. Home type machines won’t stand up to the daily rigours of thirty people.

As mentioned, Nespresso do a very good commercial machine that does milk based coffees as well as it has an on board milk tank with chiller to keep it cool. This is something that is very hard to find in other machines. See link below.

https://www.nespresso.com/pro/uk/en/order/machines/pro/aguila-220-professional-coffee-machine

Nespresso commercial or a Flavia machine if you want fresh coffee every cup and a wider selection.

Me, i’d opt for two Bravalor type machines and nominate a couple of people to make a fresh pot or two every so often.  Make a thing about changing coffee types every month or two so the staff know you care and are thinking about it.

You’re bang on the money about the length of time for pod/sachet machines take to dispense.

Cheaper to employ a barista and make coffee for everyone and deliver to desks, keep them tethered to the sausage machine and working hard churning out those fee earning letters 😉

Edited by grrclark

9 hours ago, Mungler said:

Only three cups/day? I am on one every hour when I was am in an office. 

I went to one of those arty farty media type places pre lockdown. You know all bean bags and meditation rooms. The had a full blown Starbucks type setup. The problem was you had to operate it yourself. Lots of hissing and steam. Far to dangerous for my liking. 

Mungler why not ban them from having a tea or coffee outside of break times. Save the time and money.  Stop the mother's meetings, they cost money, want to have a natter get in early.

Or take the veiw a happy cafine stimulated de stressed workforce will be more productive and you will make far more  money than you think your losing in lost time.

Edited by figgy