Best waterproof coat for under £200

Zimtrout

When the weather gets bad I put on my Dickies waterproof jacket and trousers. Cannot remember what they cost me but absolutely no where near the ridiculous prices asked by firms who want their logos on the front.   I also have a deer hunter coat I purchased a number of years ago , maybe ten, for about £100 on offer at a local Agri supplier and in that time I have given it a spray with waterproofer just once and it has never let me down so anyhting with deerhunter on would be a product I would look at in the fututre.

On 25/10/2020 at 14:23, dipper said:

Percussion Rambouillet cost £100 couple of years ago .Not used it shooting yet but used it in very heavy rain Got all the extras it’s also smart enough to go out in .Onlyseen them in the Lake districts I usually take large .Had to order XXL.

I love mine but I do find it slightly tight on my arms / the sleeves.

I am considering ordering a Ridgeline smock to try instead. 

On 25/10/2020 at 12:34, Dave at kelton said:

Ridgeline monsoon classic jacket around 150 quid. I have the smock and it keeps everything out.

B9iggest problem with the Ridgeline Smocks is that they keep everything in too.

Great for standing waiting, but awful for any walking to or from a hide.

If you have one of them outlet shopping places locally it’s always worth a look I got a musto highland jacket for 175 down from 400. If not a good walking jacket with a vest over the top never fails you seen as them things are designed to take a real beating in the hills and out walking all day. Berghaus or craghoppers I’ve always favoured. 

Also just bought myself a cheap percussion sologne jacket for 80 for picking up in and syndicate days. Been out in some real downpours in it and it’s great for the money I’m just intrigued to see what the longevity is at that price. 

Just had a think about this. 
Over the (many) years I seem to have accumulated:

1 Mascot waterproof tweed topcoat.    
1 Seeland.  
1 Runnerkop
1 Deerhunter. 
1 Duck Dri.  
1 Stormforce. 
1 Musto. 
1 waterproof DPM jacket. 
4 Barbours (2x 3/4 coats, 1 Northumbria, 1 Lightweight Durham). 
5 tweed shooting suits

The Musto leaks.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Just had a think about this. 
Over the (many) years I seem to have accumulated:

1 Mascot waterproof tweed topcoat.    
1 Seeland.  
1 Runnerkop
1 Deerhunter. 
1 Duck Dri.  
1 Stormforce. 
1 Musto. 
1 waterproof DPM jacket. 
4 Barbours (2x 3/4 coats, 1 Northumbria, 1 Lightweight Durham). 
5 tweed shooting suits

The Musto leaks.

You must have a very understanding wife LB; I'm down to 3 Barbours, 1 Musto and a Goretex DPM (£10 off Ebay) after my wife gave me 'you can't possibly use all these, so lose them'. The Musto won't stand up to heavy rain

22 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

You must have a very understanding wife LB; I'm down to 3 Barbours, 1 Musto and a Goretex DPM (£10 off Ebay) after my wife gave me 'you can't possibly use all these, so lose them'. The Musto won't stand up to heavy rain

I am very fortunate in that my wife loves to come out with me, but does not shoot herself. I rarely do a driven day without her, (gunbearer, empty case picker, dog handler), I think the sloe gin is the attraction. As I get older she has even started coming stalking with me, (I have had two hernias handling Fallow bucks on my own, so she is a big help with those). Can’t seem to get her doing the gralloching though.

On 25/10/2020 at 18:32, aister said:

Just bought a deerhunter pro gamekeeper for £165 and as usual I am impressed with deerhunter. I was out on the marsh in the pouring rain 2 nights running and came home dry and warm 👍

That’s a good price, I’ve been looking at one but they all seem around £188