Brittany Spaniel's

Lloyd90

Anyone work or shoot over Brittany Spaniel's here in the U.K.? 

Are they worked the same or run on similar terrain as other HPR types, or do they hunt tighter or a smaller area? Are they more suited to hunting in and out of thicker cover due to their more compact size? 

Are they any good at rough shooting? 

I stick to the idea that American's love the HPR breeds, mostly because they can't train a spaniel to stay within range of shot :lol: ... however I can see the appeal of a dog that covers a much larger area than you would be able to traditionally, finds a bird, and then waits for you to walk over and get a shot. 

I see some of the Irish lads have gone over to running them, even with several birds when they go on point the other dogs can honour the point so they don't end up flushing out of range.

Some of them look handy dogs :) 

I have seen many Brittanys at trials/tests/training. They are an HPR and run the same, their small size makes them better for thick cover. There are some excellent dogs but many that are too much for their handlers and effectively long range spaniels. 

I would never have one because they are too much dog for me and I prefer a larger slower dog. 

There is a handling / training error in that video. An HPR should not point a pricked bird but pick it up. They learn to do this, presume the smell of blood and gunshot. Similar to the way all dogs ignore previously picked wood pigeons put out into the pattern when picking up, only paying attention to fresh birds. 

20 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I have seen many Brittanys at trials/tests/training. They are an HPR and run the same, their small size makes them better for thick cover. There are some excellent dogs but many that are too much for their handlers and effectively long range spaniels. 

I would never have one because they are too much dog for me and I prefer a larger slower dog. 

There is a handling / training error in that video. An HPR should not point a pricked bird but pick it up. They learn to do this, presume the smell of blood and gunshot. Similar to the way all dogs ignore previously picked wood pigeons put out into the pattern when picking up, only paying attention to fresh birds. 

I think they are the same Irish lads that do ‘Rough shooting Ireland’. They have some real nice hard hunting spaniels that do the thickest hedges and bramble you can see but handling ain’t their concern. 

The dogs hunt like hell, but they don’t stop to flush, or shot, or fall. Probably why they hunt so well as they are a bit wild lol. 

Just look at this bloke 😮 ... can’t believe he hasn’t shot his dog... don’t handler, don’t retrieve, ******* off... BUT, the saving grace, THE DOG HOLDS POINT, and allows even him to walk up and get a shot on birds. 

Had 2 brits ower the years ,cracking hunters,fantastic noses ,you must get recall into them hard as a puppy as they are headstrong and self willed and tend to know how to work you,,enjoyed both mine but can be hard work,first bitch 94-07 a great water dog she loved it, even the sea in winter.used to swim around duck lake rather than try to flush them from the side

Picture of gundogs in their natural environment,Brittany and Slovakian rough haired

Picture 600.jpg

3 hours ago, williamwansbeck said:

Had 2 brits ower the years ,cracking hunters,fantastic noses ,you must get recall into them hard as a puppy as they are headstrong and self willed and tend to know how to work you,,enjoyed both mine but can be hard work,first bitch 94-07 a great water dog she loved it, even the sea in winter.used to swim around duck lake rather than try to flush them from the side

Picture of gundogs in their natural environment,Brittany and Slovakian rough haired

Picture 600.jpg

Beautiful dogs :)

What kind of ground did you hunt them on and what game? Did you find they suited different ground better? 

Do you have them still or have you gone off them and gone over to something else? 

Be nice to hear some of the good and bad qualities in examples if you can :)

appreciate your input,

Lloyd 

A bit of everything pheasants,partridge duck,walked up and beating,the brits can be sticky on point and only flush when your right on top of them,the GWP's and Slovaks a lot easier to handle and steadier,the brit in my opinion is a little setter as it flies over the ground and takes a very staunch point,oi has the advantage of being agood rabbit dog ,some pointers do not work them .

Love them but if you are thinking of getting remember hard work and you must be boss and consistent , not a good first dog !

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Agree, and possibly would go so far so say not a good first HPR or pointer! In the right hands they are great. 

I have heard GSP are a good HPR as a lot easier than the others? 

I'm not thinking of getting one, maybe in many years down the line when I have an outdoor kennel and space to try different breeds, but at the moment happy with springers :) It's just nice to admire other breeds for what they are capable of rather than think there's only one breed worth owning. 

On 25/10/2020 at 17:38, Lloyd90 said:

I think they are the same Irish lads that do ‘Rough shooting Ireland’. They have some real nice hard hunting spaniels that do the thickest hedges and bramble you can see but handling ain’t their concern. 

The dogs hunt like hell, but they don’t stop to flush, or shot, or fall. Probably why they hunt so well as they are a bit wild lol. 

Just look at this bloke 😮 ... can’t believe he hasn’t shot his dog... don’t handler, don’t retrieve, ******* off... BUT, the saving grace, THE DOG HOLDS POINT, and allows even him to walk up and get a shot on birds. 

If you want to see some "quality" shooting over a pointer check this out..... go to about the 1 minute mark and just watch. Bloody horrifying 😱

Shot for a day over a couple of Brittanys and must say I was impressed. This was woodcock shooting over rough ground and they where never wrong and solid to shot.

There again the owner was a good trainer and had done the work early on.  Any dog it is 99% who owns it which gives it it's reputation, no ifs no buts.

I have a Brittany, they are very headstrong and need a kind but firm hand, they are clever dogs and will train you if your not careful, keeping mine in close can be hard work at times, but i rough shoot and tend to cover a patch at a time, his nose is amazing for Pheasant and woodcock and it always amazes me how just a quick sniff sets him to point.
They will work all day for you and you need to watch them as they never stop,.

Mine is retired now he's 13, but we do just go for a walk about now and then and even though his eyesight isn't great his nose still finds the game.

On 29/10/2020 at 17:01, Rob85 said:

If you want to see some "quality" shooting over a pointer check this out..... go to about the 1 minute mark and just watch. Bloody horrifying 😱

Just managed to sit and watch this 😮 ... I suppose the dog's pointing and bird finding was pretty good. Not sure I'd want to hunt birds with them boys mind you. 

On 02/11/2020 at 13:49, welsh1 said:

I have a Brittany, they are very headstrong and need a kind but firm hand, they are clever dogs and will train you if your not careful, keeping mine in close can be hard work at times, but i rough shoot and tend to cover a patch at a time, his nose is amazing for Pheasant and woodcock and it always amazes me how just a quick sniff sets him to point.
They will work all day for you and you need to watch them as they never stop,.

Mine is retired now he's 13, but we do just go for a walk about now and then and even though his eyesight isn't great his nose still finds the game.

Did you used to shoot over them in West Wales? My in-laws are down Milford, nice spot on the Coast, used to own a pub but just live above it now. 

What kind of game and terrain did you use them on? 

38 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Did you used to shoot over them in West Wales? My in-laws are down Milford, nice spot on the Coast, used to own a pub but just live above it now. 

What kind of game and terrain did you use them on? 

I have permissions over by milford haven including the golf course, so you have a fair idea of the terrain, he was great for pheasant and woodcock, and his faourite was running through reeds by the ponds trying to find snipe. But he worked all round retriving rabbit and pigeon and duck.
I don't think i scraped his full potential, but that was down to me not him.

Give him a bit of rough ground with brambles and bushes and he is in his element that nose is amazing.

40 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I have permissions over by milford haven including the golf course, so you have a fair idea of the terrain, he was great for pheasant and woodcock, and his faourite was running through reeds by the ponds trying to find snipe. But he worked all round retriving rabbit and pigeon and duck.
I don't think i scraped his full potential, but that was down to me not him.

Give him a bit of rough ground with brambles and bushes and he is in his element that nose is amazing.

How do you know they’ve gone on point if they’re in the middle of w bramble patch? Lol 

Just now, WalkedUp said:

Brittanys often have a small bell attached to collar. When the bell stops ringing the excitement starts. You should also always be aware of when your dog is even if in thick cover, you just know. 

I heard about a bloke last year got his dog out the truck, dog immediately took a line into cover and went rock solid on point. 

He said It took him 45 mins to find the dog 🤣🤣

He said ever since he puts the locator collars on the dog before they’re allowed to have a pee 🤣

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do you know they’ve gone on point if they’re in the middle of w bramble patch? Lol 

If it goes quiet and i can't her him move  the chances are he has found something, if i tell him to move it on he will move closer to it and eventually flush it