Free school meals in the school holidays

fern01

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents do not choose to be disadvantaged. My mother was married to an architect with a huge house and five children (3 girls then two boys). My father left her for another woman (one without five children to look after 🤣) and so our standard of living almost overnight crashed. Yes it is the father’s responsibility to carry on providing but many don’t. Some children are less fortunate, victims of domestic abuse or perhaps bereaved and have lost a parent through illness or accident rather than philandery. We received free school meals. My eldest sister is a director at PWC, two other sisters are deputy head teachers, I’m a partner in an architect’s practice and my brother has his own business. My eldest sister alone (say £150k basic per annum and she’s mid 30s) has paid a fair chunk of taxes, however overall I think it is fair to say we have repaid our financial debt to society.

I despise Marcus Rashford as a footballer (on partisan grounds) but respect him as a man and role model.

I know another architect who’s husband left the country many years ago, she has two young teenage boys and has just been made redundant by her practice after 5 years. She certainly does not smoke and is teetotal. I don’t ask her how much she spends on clothes but (being mean) it doesn’t look much. Her boys are massive Liverpool fans and had never afforded to go to the game (it’s a rip of) so I gave her my pair of season tickets for her eldest son’s birthday. 

People who run their mouth on this subject are those fortunate to exist in a bubble. I know of and have seen plenty of scumbags milking the system, but should other these other disadvantaged children be punished just because some other low life is a cheat? 

Edited by WalkedUp

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

& tattoos , a bird was on the news today being interviewed with a tribe jelly babies around her moaning she had **** all in the house till benefit day, why have kids if you can’t afford them they make me sick.

What happened to family allowance that was paid to parents to feed and clothe their children? I am sure that I am missing something as I have fortunately never been in such a disadvantaged family environment.

I think Marcus Rashford is doing a fantastic job - and his motivation is from personal experience.

5 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Because lot dont know how to cook a meal .

Thats very true, I often used to stand behind mothers in the supermarket checkout queues and marvel at the amount of rubbish they were buying. And spending a fortune in the process.

Edited by Vince Green

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Sorry but irrespective of the parents our children should not be suffering. There are those facing hardship during these difficult times and children should be fed come what may. Too easy to criticise when you don’t know the personal circumstances.

This. 

6 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Sorry but irrespective of the parents our children should not be suffering. There are those facing hardship during these difficult times and children should be fed come what may. Too easy to criticise when you don’t know the personal circumstances.

Couldn’t agree more. 

17 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

well said dave :good:.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I know of and have seen plenty of scumbags milking the system, but should other these other disadvantaged children be punished just because some other low life is a cheat? 

i married one lol paid me £5.00 a week to feed and clothe TWO kids tax payers are getting stung  for MILLIONS thanks to deadbeat parents 

Schools aren't preparing people for hard times like this. There really needs to be something done in the national curriculum in schools to give people the skills to deal with the possibility of being skint and having to make do. A lot of people don't realise that when cooked properly the rubbish cuts of meat can be the tastiest! When times get hard people need to understand that the slow cooker is your friend. Our home economics teacher in school was brilliant....for me anyway as I actually listened and learned to cook good proper food.

I applaud what Marcus Rashford is doing but we need to make sure this doesnt become a slippery slope to what happened in africa when they started to "feed the world", it became a give me give me thing instead of actually fixing the issue and getting people to help themselves.

5 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Schools aren't preparing people for hard times like this. There really needs to be something done in the national curriculum in schools to give people the skills to deal with the possibility of being skint and having to make do. A lot of people don't realise that when cooked properly the rubbish cuts of meat can be the tastiest! When times get hard people need to understand that the slow cooker is your friend. Our home economics teacher in school was brilliant....for me anyway as I actually listened and learned to cook good proper food.

I applaud what Marcus Rashford is doing but we need to make sure this doesnt become a slippery slope to what happened in africa when they started to "feed the world", it became a give me give me thing instead of actually fixing the issue and getting people to help themselves.

Yup, Although. You spend £20 on a cheap slow cooker. You now don't have enough money this week to buy the food to put in it. That's the reality of too many families.

You can buy packet mince for 3 quid fry it off drain fat if you wish. Add some water and a stock cube throw in some spuds and bit of veg of your choice. You have a big sauce pan of grub to dunk bit bread in for a fiver or there abouts. Or a chicken or small lump of pork. The cheap cuts like shin and cheeks etc are no longer cheaper thanks I guess to tv cooking shows. 

Edited by captainhastings

6 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

You can buy packet mince for 3 quid fry it off drain fat if you wish. Add some water and a stock cube throw in some spuds and bit of veg of your choice. You have a big sauce pan of grub to dunk bit bread in for a fiver or there abouts. Or a chicken or small lump of pork. The cheap cuts like shin and cheeks etc are no longer cheaper thanks I guess to tv cooking shows. 

You literally described at least half of my childhood meals, was raised on mince n spuds and still love it. Actually had mince with some gravy and chips the other night...lovely. shin still isn't too bad a price but when I want some for soup I avoid Tesco and all them places as the ones near me take the best bit out...the friggin bone full of marrow! Always the local butchers for it. A lot of people who are tight for money need to start looking at their local butcher and fruit n veg shops again as i think even the 'cheap' supermarkets are a bloody rip off for the quality of their meat.

Can you still get a pot roast these days? I used to get then about 10-12 years ago and they made a beautiful roast Sunday dinner and there was always enough for Monday's dinner or lunch in work.

As regards the slow cooker it's not really necessary so long as you have a pot and a lid and turn your heat down.