Free school meals in the school holidays

fern01

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My ex wife worked for a while as a volunteer at the local food bank. Some people would come in then sort through what they had been given and chuck out things like tins of peas or carrots and ask if they could swap them. Its not a straight forward subject.

What did they want to swap them for? 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

I know it does - but it did happen 😞

And the other parents had to pay extra so those kids could go? 

Sounds like something that individual school put on rather than a national wide Policy. 

I bet there are a LOT of people of free school meals in most schools. 

What do they do when there’s more kids who want to go for free than there are kids who’s parents are willing to pay? 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

What do they do when there’s more kids who want to go for free than there are kids who’s parents are willing to pay? 

Dunno - I think that some money is available from school funds/Govenors (raised) funds?

On about food banks - my company used to do Christmas Hampers (that may give it away) and staff got a hamper each year as a bonus. I only got one and they stopped doing it (it was alcohol and was full of ****!). A guy I worked with donated his to the local foodbank as he did every year - when he dropped it off they said oh the person having this is just outside. She was smoking, had a new model iPhone and also a newer car than my colleague!!

my wife worked as a social worker in a school which was in the poorest area of the city, unfortunately for every genuine family that relied on the state support there was another which fitted the scrounger stereotype perfectly.

This free school meals is a very emotive subject but people forget the increase in universal credit and extra funding government have given to councils. Personally though for the cost of it I would have thought the government would have passed it just to save the aggravation and bad press!

3 minutes ago, discobob said:

Dunno - I think that some money is available from school funds/Govenors (raised) funds?

On about food banks - my company used to do Christmas Hampers (that may give it away) and staff got a hamper each year as a bonus. I only got one and they stopped doing it (it was alcohol and was full of ****!). A guy I worked with donated his to the local foodbank as he did every year - when he dropped it off they said oh the person having this is just outside. She was smoking, had a new model iPhone and also a newer car than my colleague!!

perhaps she was picking it up for a needy neighbour. :whistling:

I was a Governor at a Primary school for years and only 40% of those eligible for free school meals claimed them. We did a survey as to why and the biggest complaint was that there were too many vegetables in the meal.  “my kids don’t eat that ****” was an actual quote 😂😂😂 

There are some genuine cases.  They should receive assistance - which is the duty of the local council.

There are some 'scrounger' type cases who spend £50+ a week on tobacco, another £50+ on alcohol, subscribe to Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. ........ but expect the state to feed their children.

Sadly - the genuine suffer for the scroungers, and the scroungers like to keep the genuine still in real need as it helps them in their scrounging by showing there are genuine needs.

There is no easy answer to the scrounger.

28 minutes ago, Lampwick said:

I was a Governor at a Primary school for years and only 40% of those eligible for free school meals claimed them. We did a survey as to why and the biggest complaint was that there were too many vegetables in the meal.  “my kids don’t eat that ****” was an actual quote 😂😂😂 

If they didn’t bother to claim them, did they really need them? 

49 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

There's no reason for kids to go hungry with the benefits available today, it's inexcusable and not the government or schools responsibility 

In general, I agree, but if the parent(s) spend the money on alcohol, tobacco, Netflix, Lotto tickets whatever, the kids may go without .......... which is why I think food vouchers should replace part of benefits - but some of then would only sell those, so you can't win.

Then when the gov't turns the benefits tap off - you get all of the lefty 'influencers' stirring ........

32 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

People don't only claim what the 'need'.  They claim anything they think they can get.

27 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Undoubtedly there are families in need    and FSMs are great for them but it does make you wonder!

I’ve just been reading what they ate during the siege of Leningrad and it turns out it’s anything if you’re hungry!  

Flipping vegetables!!! 

46 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

In general, I agree, but if the parent(s) spend the money on alcohol, tobacco, Netflix, Lotto tickets whatever, the kids may go without .......... which is why I think food vouchers should replace part of benefits - but some of then would only sell those, so you can't win.

Then when the gov't turns the benefits tap off - you get all of the lefty 'influencers' stirring ........

People don't only claim what the 'need'.  They claim anything they think they can get.

Maybe they're not fit to be parents, if they are spending money on anything before paying for their own kids food,theres surely no excuses for that. 

Whatever football team you support or wherever your political leanings lie, I support Rashford in his aim.

Whilst as some have pointed out, the bill for this might be higher than people imagine, it is dwarfed by the money wasted on the "Eating Out" scam, the fraud on Tax Credits and then Universal Credit. As a country, we are content to let people who don't even live in this country, never been to this country, claim many benefits. Before anyone gets silly and says this isn't happening, they would first have to ask themselves why they are delusional. It has happened for a long, long time and is still going on. 

Surely, disadvantaged children are a higher priority than fraudsters who come to the country to commit fraud or sit at a computer in another country.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Whatever football team you support or wherever your political leanings lie, I support Rashford in his aim.

Whilst as some have pointed out, the bill for this might be higher than people imagine, it is dwarfed by the money wasted on the "Eating Out" scam, the fraud on Tax Credits and then Universal Credit. As a country, we are content to let people who don't even live in this country, never been to this country, claim many benefits. Before anyone gets silly and says this isn't happening, they would first have to ask themselves why they are delusional. It has happened for a long, long time and is still going on. 

Surely, disadvantaged children are a higher priority than fraudsters who come to the country to commit fraud or sit at a computer in another country.

You would hope so but the lilly livered liberal lefties seem to place such importance on inviting all these wasters in.

9 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

As a country, we are content to let people who don't even live in this country, never been to this country, claim many benefits. Before anyone gets silly and says this isn't happening, they would first have to ask themselves why they are delusional. It has happened for a long, long time and is still going on.

I am certainly NOT content - and nor are many others.  I agree with the rest.

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Entirely agree - but not so easy to correct.  I certainly don't want to see fraud - nor do I want children to be hungry, but we need a way of dealing with both that supports the genuine and honest - and penalises the fraudsters and dishonest (heavily).  That defeats everyone somehow.

31 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

my daughter now runs the benefits team if i told you how much fraud is taking place we would have riots 

4 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Why cant we issue food or food tokens instead of money to people on benefits, that would ensure a lot of kids don't starve? 

It has been suggested - and I believe is used in other countries - there was a scheme here, https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/26/payment-cards-emergency-assistance-food-stamps

but not sure what happened to it.