Dentist

The Heron

The only work our dentist will do is a check up and no further work even if they find a problem because of Covid - 19 or so my wife thought she found out today that they are doing private work with no problem she found this out from two of her friends had been there I think this is disgraceful once again if you have money no problem 

I was at the dentist a couple of weeks ago to get a tooth out . There are less appointments  due to having to scrub the place out for want of  a better between appointments, Different  procedure  require different  forms of safety gear. Your not allowed the water thing to wash your mouth out . Lots of other  things , plus they are only on 80% of there wage . 

Edited by johnphilip

Push your MP to lobby to pay enough for the NHS work for it to be viable with the extra safety costs in time and kit...

Margins on NHS dentistry were reliant on pushing people through as fast as possible without doing anything that would take time to get right. The covid changes have slowed turnaround and increased costs to the point where the system cannot function. 

53 minutes ago, walshie said:

That's the opposite of my dentist who is seeing people if there is an issue, but not doing any checkups. 

Exactly the same as mine , my last appointment should have been in March , leading up to my appointment I had a loose tooth and with me kept pushing it about it became that loose I pulled it out myself , then the virus kicked in and my dentist all but shut , moving on , the tooth nearest to the gap also started to come loose and the same thing happened , I took that one out as well and now being well over three score years and ten , with the amount I have got left it will be a toss up who will go first , me or my teeth :hmm:.

30 minutes ago, AVB said:

No he didn’t have any adult bottom front teeth. The orthodontic work was done for free by a mate but the dentist work was expensive. 

What they just didn’t exist? 

What have they done to remedy it? 

Lucky he’s got a good dad who’s fortunately in a position to be able to help. 

Hope he’s sorted soon mate 👍🏻

5 hours ago, The Heron said:

The only work our dentist will do is a check up and no further work even if they find a problem because of Covid - 19 or so my wife thought she found out today that they are doing private work with no problem she found this out from two of her friends had been there I think this is disgraceful once again if you have money no problem 

Is the problem caused by the dentists, or by the NHS administrators?   I have been told that dentists would happily undertake non-emergency work as normal, but at present the NHS is refusing to pay them for anything other than serious emergency treatment.

Can anybody confirm this?

10 hours ago, AVB said:

I wish my dentists was closed. I recently forked out four grand for some work on my sons teeth! 

My wife is just in for £4.5k for a couple of crowns and a canal re route. 

Eye lens replacement next and that's £6k for 20 mins of work. Unreal. 

8 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Is the problem caused by the dentists, or by the NHS administrators?   I have been told that dentists would happily undertake non-emergency work as normal, but at present the NHS is refusing to pay them for anything other than serious emergency treatment.

Can anybody confirm this?

As I said in an earlier  post I got a tooth out , went to the desk to pay . They said no charge at the moment due to the covid virus ., I said oh could you fit me in for a few gold teeth , she just laughed. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

My wife is just in for £4.5k for a couple of crowns and a canal re route. 

Eye lens replacement next and that's £6k for 20 mins of work. Unreal. 

You must have it , to spend it .

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What they just didn’t exist? 

What have they done to remedy it? 

Lucky he’s got a good dad who’s fortunately in a position to be able to help. 

Hope he’s sorted soon mate 👍🏻

Yes he didn’t have bottom front adult teeth (not uncommon to have one tooth missing, two is a bit more rare). Rather than bridging a large gap in the middle the orthodontist moved teeth from the outside to the middle and then the dentist bridged the two gaps with Maryland bridges. It was amazing to see how far the teeth can be moved using braces. 

i gave up with my dentist NHS 5 years ago....she could barely speak english...made me a plate which had to be worked on 3 times...it still hurt after that....made me stuff that i didnt use...bite raiser ...she said i grind my teeth at night..........i told her that in 40 years of marrige ....if i had ground my teeth at night im sure my wife would have said something.............and the dentist always stunk of rancid garlic

when i sell my house im going private..........i hate dentists and vets...

in the last 5 years i have always pulled my own teeth

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i gave up with my dentist NHS 5 years ago....she could barely speak english...made me a plate which had to be worked on 3 times...it still hurt after that....made me stuff that i didnt use...bite raiser ...she said i grind my teeth at night..........i told her that in 40 years of marrige ....if i had ground my teeth at night im sure my wife would have said something.............and the dentist always stunk of rancid garlic

when i sell my house im going private..........i hate dentists and vets...

in the last 5 years i have always pulled my own teeth

Must have missed that thread, Bob Mortimer does all his own dentistry, it was one of the stories on “would I lie to you” had me in stitches.