Eye test tomorrow

countryman

3 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

had mine last week, for HGV all good

My Dad drove artics his entire working life and when an optician once informed him that he was surprised ( given his results ) that he could still see road signs, my Dad replied that he had no problem seeing them, he just couldn’t read what was on them! 😀

’Time for spectacles Mr ****.’ 

Crumbs, my first eye test at school involved holding a metal letter E and turning it the same way as the nurse. Or is my memory going the same way as my eyesight? Now wear contact lenses for shooting. What little difference it makes to my marksmanship I don’t know but saves me shooting the wrong bird on the shore.

I saw Ed Lyons for the full eye test experience a couple of years ago - was truly fascinating, a really enlightening experience that provided an insight into what my eyes and brain are up too...    I'm cross dominant, and now know that when I shut my left eye my brain takes a couple of seconds or more to figure out it's lost a data feed.   The full test isn't cheap, the blow is slightly softened by paying half of it when you book the test.....  

40 minutes ago, Scully said:

My Dad drove artics his entire working life and when an optician once informed him that he was surprised ( given his results ) that he could still see road signs, my Dad replied that he had no problem seeing them, he just couldn’t read what was on them! 😀

’Time for spectacles Mr ****.’ 

😄

I had an eye and ear test at Specsavers but was intrigued to find that I am still good for both. I have difficulty understanding high pitched women’s voices and if I can’t see someone’s lips. Thought my ears had deteriorated significantly but they are both still technically better than “perfect” at hearing which just means I’m just rubbish at listening and I have tinnitus. 

12 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Just not Specsavers...they are in the business of selling eyewear....they will say you need stuff that the professionals in Boots say you don't - personal experience on the same day... 

I've had my last 3 tests at Specsavers and they never once tried to sell me anything. My previous test was at boots and on arriving the first thing they did was ask me to take a look at the new range of frames. At the end of the day they are all fully qualified opticians at both chains and hopefully the customers eye health is their number one priority. In both companies I'm sure you'll find staff who are sales driven. 

14 hours ago, countryman said:

great, got an appointment with specsavers 

I have been using specsavers for years and never had an issue or a pushy sales person. I went in to the local independent one on recommendation when we moved house a few years ago, equipment seemed antiquated and when they told me how much the glasses were going to cost I almost choked especially as i normally get two pairs. Specsavers were less than half the price, and don't believe the garbage about them being lower quality mine last about 3-4 years on average and have a hard life!

Edited by ferguson_tom

Got a letter the other day from my optician, he's a local independent but I always get a fiver off my test as we used to play rugby against each other and he's a fellow shooting man, he will always book my appointment when he has a gap in the day as we end up yammering on for ages.

My eyes are a bit of a mystery really, in so far as I'm not ready for specs yet, however I'm slightly long sighted in one eye and short in the other, weirdest thing is when I close or cover an eye it doesn't go back to looking straight out... it turns slightly outwards, both sides do this, plays havoc with eye dominance so I have no choice but to close or squint slightly when pulling the trigger. Its good to have an optician who has shooting experience!

On 26/10/2020 at 20:23, Cosmicblue said:

I saw Ed Lyons for the full eye test experience a couple of years ago - was truly fascinating, a really enlightening experience that provided an insight into what my eyes and brain are up too...    I'm cross dominant, and now know that when I shut my left eye my brain takes a couple of seconds or more to figure out it's lost a data feed.   The full test isn't cheap, the blow is slightly softened by paying half of it when you book the test.....  

I am a huge fan of Mr Lyons, who has just managed to get me some new shooting glasses that have my full complicated prescription without looking like they come from 1972. Seeing Ed for the sports vision assessment was the best investment I made in my shooting. Yes, he helps all those top competition shooters who need the extra fraction of second response time, but his help to those of use who are less than perfect is even more important. It may not have made me an amazing shot but it certainly put me at the start line at the same place as everyone else.