Road kills ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Can anyone tell me the legal side of picking up road kills. Deer, Pheasants and anything else you can eat.

Thanks all.

22 hours ago, bluesj said:

If you didn't run it over you can have it but i wouldn't you never know why it was wondering around in the road, it could have been ill to start with!

No, that's incorrect at least as far as the law in England. the dead bird belongs to the person whose land it fell on which is the local authority responsible for the highway it is dead upon. Now commonsense says that Alderman Foodbotham (the famous Peter Simple character) won't want a dead muntjac or even a dead pheasant dumped outside his civic chambers but the law is that it isn't...as a user of that highway...yours.

Edited by enfieldspares

37 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No, that's incorrect at least as far as the law in England. the dead bird belongs to the person whose land it fell on which is the local authority responsible for the highway it is dead upon. Now commonsense says that Alderman Foodbotham (the famous Peter Simple character) won't want a dead muntjac or even a dead pheasant dumped outside his civic chambers but the law is that it isn't...as a user of that highway...yours.

My understanding is that there is not really such a thing as an ownership of a road. The convention is that the road is a right of way and as such not owned in any conventional sense. However, the land underneath it is own by the owner of the land on either side, the centre of the road being the boundary between the two respective ownership.

Don't know if a law or a bylaw just in Suffolk. It used to be you could not pick up any game you hit yourself. But whoever was following could and you could pick up anything hit by others. This was to stop folk intentionally trying to hit game on the road. Folk in the country always picked up road kill. Me and my brother dragged a fallow buck home we saw hit. We were only 10 and 12. Mum had it sorted, liver, kidney and heart in the pot by the time dad came home for tea. Fed us and neighbours for a while. Not many deer around our way in 70's.         NB

On 29/10/2020 at 09:42, The Heron said:

Yes wasn't it that Hugh Fernly Whitingstall he also cooked and ate a woman's placenta 😋

I remember Hugh FW doing the roadkill bit but the programme I am thinking about concerned a chap foraging for roadkill and serving it up in his restaurant 

On 30/10/2020 at 12:36, yates said:

I remember Hugh FW doing the roadkill bit but the programme I am thinking about concerned a chap foraging for roadkill and serving it up in his restaurant 

Hello, yes I remember but forgot the name, did he go around in a motor and stop to pick up, pheasant/squirrel /deer/ anything edible to cook and FREE

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes I remember but forgot the name, did he go around in a motor and stop to pick up, pheasant/squirrel /deer/ anything edible to cook and FREE

Here you are Fergus Drennan 👍