Jump to content

simple healthy foods


Recommended Posts

i grew up with stews be it  beef lamb venison rabbit pheasant partridge pike trout  not to mention liver and onions  a favorite    tripe      oxtail  chitins    herring       mackerel     trout    pike  eels    a hell of a meal  inc staples                 duck goose  inc seagull eggs  duck  eggs goose eggs    lobster    crab   muscle  oyster winkles   fresh grown veg  kelp  seaweed    carrageen  moss   still dont know what to choose      after 30 years its all good        parsnips carrots onions  peas beans tates  goosberys blackburrys  black currants  red curants   rasberrys  mulberrys strawberrys  sloes dmsen berrys  blackberrys  rowen berries hawthor ne  berries  sloe berrys  crab apples red and green  jams not to mention local grown   plumbs and     kiers pinks arran banners tates     GALWAYN BAY       its your choice

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saltings said:

sorry  if you can sort out good food from my previous post its everywhere in Galway  please enjoy      a full belly  local sing along  music      see you when you can  

Yes like yourself I was lucky enough to grow up with all the natural food available it seems that all the kids want to eat now is takeaway what ever is in those donna kebabs I shudder to think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Yes like yourself I was lucky enough to grow up with all the natural food available it seems that all the kids want to eat now is takeaway what ever is in those donna kebabs I shudder to think. 

Yep, but not lucky enough to have the range described by Saltings. It's funny how you forget the every day routine and mainly remember the treats which the routine permitted. Overnight Saturday with much older cousin and her husband. Woken up Sunday morning by the Paddington to Penzance overnight sleeper thundering along the estuary at Cockwood, smoke and flames billowing out of the stack. No chance of getting back to sleep after getting up to watch it, so dressed and into the village. On the way back, juggling a very hot crusty loaf which went on the kitchen table as the big pudding basin was grabbed. Across the yard and into the dairy where the farmer was working. He senses me and puts his hand out for the bowl which he returns but now full of clotted cream. Back to the kitchen where the bread is cut, gently steaming in doorstop sized slices. On goes the cream and then the home-made jam. Heaven. Don't remember dinner, but in the afternoon, up to the next village to catch the ferry back home where I was picked up at the docks. Get home in time for tea to join little sister in front of the fire with the toasting forks getting the bread ready for the dripping. Bliss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Heron said:

Yes like yourself I was lucky enough to grow up with all the natural food available it seems that all the kids want to eat now is takeaway what ever is in those donna kebabs I shudder to think. 

I'm quite partial to the odd meat shavings meal/Indian etc but my goodness it's hard to beat proper beef shin and vegetable broth or a proper big bowl of hot stew with half a loaf of bread with it.... I'm glad it's coming to the colder months so I get more of it.

My mum always done stew on Thursdays and same day we used to get a wee delivery of lemonade (the Maine man...anyone in northern ireland will know!). Stew sandwiches and lemonade, guts blew out like a pregnant dog afterwards😅

Any time I visit mum and I see the slow cooker I'm drawn straight over with a spoon to start picking.

In fairness as a young kid I do remember getting the odd meal that was out of the freezer and under the grill...fish fingers or such like but more often than not it was good solid food like mince n spuds, stewing steak with homemade chips, it was no wonder I was always so well built compared to the other kids in school who were either skin and bone or chubby. 

As I got older I remember a day when I was about 13/14 where I think it was more of a test than anything to see how I coped, mum had to work late so she said she would leave dinner out for me, I got home from school to find smoked haddock sitting on the counter, had to work out myself how to cook it, most kids these days would panic at that but it was as simple as couple of minutes each side in a frying pan, chucked it on top of thickly buttered soda bread and a glass of orange to go with it, delicious.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 home  made soda / brown bread fried in beef dripping     or   out of the oven still warm the home made butter just melts in     wild mushrooms in the sheep fields by the bucket daily for a week or two      wild fruit crumbles   the simple foods  put a smile on your face       a pop de ping meal does nothing for me        what else do you remember from your short trouser days 

Link to post
Share on other sites

up early to cross the field behind my place to get to the nearest wood. Cull a muntie, pop in the roesack and walk home for a well earned breakfast of fresh munty liver gently sauteed in butter along with a couple of fresh eggs from my chickens, finished with a few twists of freshly ground black pepper. Some food experiences you cannot buy, in even the best restaurant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2020 at 10:18, wymberley said:

Yep, but not lucky enough to have the range described by Saltings. It's funny how you forget the every day routine and mainly remember the treats which the routine permitted. Overnight Saturday with much older cousin and her husband. Woken up Sunday morning by the Paddington to Penzance overnight sleeper thundering along the estuary at Cockwood, smoke and flames billowing out of the stack. No chance of getting back to sleep after getting up to watch it, so dressed and into the village. On the way back, juggling a very hot crusty loaf which went on the kitchen table as the big pudding basin was grabbed. Across the yard and into the dairy where the farmer was working. He senses me and puts his hand out for the bowl which he returns but now full of clotted cream. Back to the kitchen where the bread is cut, gently steaming in doorstop sized slices. On goes the cream and then the home-made jam. Heaven. Don't remember dinner, but in the afternoon, up to the next village to catch the ferry back home where I was picked up at the docks. Get home in time for tea to join little sister in front of the fire with the toasting forks getting the bread ready for the dripping. Bliss.

I keep my boat on the River at Cockwood and hear the train pass by. I have yet to find a decent bakery the local spa shop in Starcross is one of the worst yet. It's better to take the tender to Exmouth for breakfast.

 😶 How times change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oowee said:

I keep my boat on the River at Cockwood and hear the train pass by. I have yet to find a decent bakery the local spa shop in Starcross is one of the worst yet. It's better to take the tender to Exmouth for breakfast.

 😶 How times change.

Buy yourself a bread machine.

Nothing beats the smell of home made bread, first thing in the morning, having baked it overnight on the timer

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, amateur said:

Buy yourself a bread machine.

Nothing beats the smell of home made bread, first thing in the morning, having baked it overnight on the timer

I'm really considering buying the wife a bread maker for Christmas. Was going to get her one over the first lockdown but everyone and their dog was buying them "Just incase" and the prices of even the cheap ones went through the roof.

Every time we make fresh scones or soda bread it barely gets to the cooling rack before we have butter dripping off it and scoffing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oowee said:

I keep my boat on the River at Cockwood and hear the train pass by. I have yet to find a decent bakery the local spa shop in Starcross is one of the worst yet. It's better to take the tender to Exmouth for breakfast.

 😶 How times change.

And all too fast for me - can't keep up. Frequented the Docks Cafe for breakfast for years until it changed hands. Haven't been in for a while, but Abi's just past the Premier Inn do/did a fair spread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I'm really considering buying the wife a bread maker for Christmas. Was going to get her one over the first lockdown but everyone and their dog was buying them "Just incase" and the prices of even the cheap ones went through the roof.

Every time we make fresh scones or soda bread it barely gets to the cooling rack before we have butter dripping off it and scoffing it.

Plenty on the Bay at less than £100.

The key to it all is in using "strong" bread flour, which, at the moment, can be hard to find in supermarkets, but can be bought direct on line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amateur said:

Buy yourself a bread machine.

Nothing beats the smell of home made bread, first thing in the morning, having baked it overnight on the timer

No mains on my boat but if there was I would. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oowee said:

No mains on my boat but if there was I would. 

dutch oven over coals  on the banks perchance   coals on top     fresh bread     sounds like living the dream lacking to me      damper bread can be made on a rock next to a fire  fresh bread  can be made anywhere       dutch oven and coals  as grandmother did in a thatched cottage over an open fire

Edited by Saltings
Link to post
Share on other sites

im the only one in the house that has    liver onions and mash   i also like kidney  and mash    marrow soup    oxtail soup    pigs trotters    shin beef    brisket   rabbit liver fresh the same morning     game offal   and any game any fish     and delacy my old man loved     grille  lambs tails on coals in the stove  before elastic rings  back n the day a month or two old tails removed 60/70  with a sharp knife  wool clipped off placed on coals to cook in the stove a bit like bbq  mother couldnt cook however she could cook lamb  tails   once a year  its the only time her cooking was better than grandmothers         it was something to look forward to as kids    sweet morsels      nothing wasted  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2yr old barren Roe doe shot 6 days ago, fat as butter, hung for 5 in the fridge because I was too busy to skin her, skinned and butchered yesterday, tonight roast chump/rump/top end of the leg whatever you want to call it with the bone in, 45 minutes in a hot oven with lots of salt and pepper on top. Melted in your mouth. My toddler was running in and asking for deer meat as soon as it came out the oven. She loves it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...