Arthritis and aching joints

steve_b_wales

I have the above in my right knee, plus aches and pains in other joints. With regard to my knee, I've had cortisone injections, which haven't worked. Is there any tablets, like Omega 3 etc that actually work? There's so many out there. A mate of mine is using CBD oil, which he pays around £150 every 2 months. He suffers badly after a bad accident, and without using the oil, would not be able to work. I don't feel that I'm ready for that as yet, but would look into using it, should the pain get worse,  (which it will in my knee)

I use from ebay eBay item number:151812285726

Also on recommendation of my Consultant  Dermatologist ,also helps with CV19 as some folk lack Vit D   

Vitamin D3 5000iu * 360 Tablets * Max Strength * Maintains Healthy Bones & Teeth

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

Hi Steve,

i have been taking a turmeric capsule (anti inflammatory) each day for the last 6 weeks, it’s definitely made a difference to my old joints, wife says I’m not complaining like I used to, well not about aching joints anyway. 
I think the trick is to stick with the course and not give up after a couple of weeks.

Give it a go, nothing to lose.

All the best

Ditchy I'm with you there, try small doses first and work up untill your sniffing lamposts then back off a bit.

I've used turmerick tablets for years and they work for a while, soon as they stop working I leave off them for a few months then start taking them again.

About time they found a cure for this disease.

I worked with a fella who mum is on some tablets for very bad arthritis that are used as chemotherapy tablets, no idea what sort of arthritis but jeez it must have been bad.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

as some folk lack Vit D

I take vitamin D (though only 1000 iu tablet every other day and) only in the winter months.  Was recommended by a Dr friend as many people don't get enough (it comes mainly from sunlight exposure and not much from diet).  Mine is for 'general good health' rather than any specific complaint.

I have seen lots of things recommended, and I think different things work for different people.

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy I'm with you there, try small doses first and work up untill your sniffing lamposts then back off a bit.

I've used turmerick tablets for years and they work for a while, soon as they stop working I leave off them for a few months then start taking them again.

I worked with a fella who mum is on some tablets for very bad arthritis that are used as chemotherapy tablets, no idea what sort of arthritis but jeez it must have been bad.

It could be methotrexate a chemotherapy drug that suppresses your immune system. OH has psoriaritic arthritis which is caused by an overactive immune system and was offered methotrexate. He decided his immune system was more valuable than suppressing the arthritus. Just as well with covid about. The other problem with methotrexate is that it can knacker your kidneys and liver and needs very careful monitoring.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I take vitamin D (though only 1000 iu tablet every other day and) only in the winter months.  Was recommended by a Dr friend as many people don't get enough (it comes mainly from sunlight exposure and not much from diet).  Mine is for 'general good health' rather than any specific complaint.

I have seen lots of things recommended, and I think different things work for different people.

I had a mole on my back that turned into melanoma, removed 2 yrs ago, 0.8mm deep so easily sorted.

One reason BLME are susceptible to CV19 is lack of Vit D 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

thats made LOL  Figgy  ! 

I'm on a very low dose of Methotrexate too, really a cancer drug that has positive side affects for sufferers of other conditions - in my case Eczema.

Tumeric Plus (think it has pepper in it), for stiff and aching joints - this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turmeric-BioPerine-Absorption-Additives-Magnesium/dp/B01M5E104R/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=turmeric+plus&dchild=1&keywords=turmeric+plus&pd_rd_i=B01M5E104R&pd_rd_r=2de64c83-918a-4994-908f-4265920335e0&pd_rd_w=5Z1LA&pd_rd_wg=nFTVW&pf_rd_p=189a32c6-b80d-4311-ae32-262249da6270&pf_rd_r=R6KP9149PBENRDFKWY9R&psc=1&qid=1603810065&sr=1-1-fdbae751-0fa5-4c0f-900b-865654896618   I find one tablet a day works really well, can feel the benefit with a day or so.

Edited by Cosmicblue

3 hours ago, sandspider said:

Glucosamine gel can help. Seems to help my wrist tendonitis issues, but apparently doesn't work for everyone.

'Er indoors had OA starting in her left hip and began taking Glucosamine 70 plus from Healthspan about 6 months ago. Took a while to show any effects but after a couple of months the discomfort began improving. The worst things for her was car journeys and long walks, but we've recently done a couple of 250 mile round trips without any pain and several 7-8 mile cross country walks. She also takes cod liver oil caps and turmeric tablets.

Physiotherapy can make a big difference too, with targeted exercises to build up the muscles that provide support for the joints.

Try this stuff, everyone I know who has tried it says it works. The absolute key is to use a tiny amount but do it everyday and no drugs in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Flexiseq/page/FE680034-4F3F-4FF3-8BD3-CCB94B5FCB04?channel=GoogleAdwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiJzwk67V7AIVjbTtCh1pWwUUEAAYASAAEgLKmvD_BwE

2 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

I`ve recently developed age related arthritis in the ball of my left thumb.

The simples thing that I`ve done to help prevent the pain is to drink significantly more water during the course of the day.

Are you sure it isn't gout?  Gout is a form of arthritis, comes on with age, and is often caused by slight dehydration/alleviated by keeping well hydrated. I get gout and it is very painful (there have been gout threads on here).

If it is gout, a few tips;

Most who get gout have certain 'trigger' foods.  Often shellfish, offal based meats like liver, kidney, and game though too much red meat in general can be a risk.  Oily fish like herring, mackerel, kipper.  Citrus fuits/juices an also be a trigger.  Yeast based things (e.g. Marmite) are another risk as are some alcohols like beer and spirits.  Wine usually less so.  My worst risks are shellfish and beer.  These trigger an 'attack' which can last from a few days to over a week.  They usually occur in the extremity joints, very often the big toes.

A pill (prescription only) called colchicine can give relief in an attack and shorten it .......... but you can only take it for 3 or 4 days at a time.  It has upset stomach side effects for some people (luckily not me).

Long term, it can be prevented in most people with a long term pill (again prescription only) called alopurinol - but this can only be started when clear of an attack and initially can bring on attack until the body gets regulated with it.  Once on it - it is usually for life.

An attack comes on quite rapidly - often at night and is very painful - especially to pressure/movement.  The area also gets red and shiny - and can itch badly later in the attack.  Afterwards, skin can be shed.

Keeping well hydrated (not too much tea or coffee as they can act as diuretics) is a wide precaution.

10 hours ago, figgy said:

thats what excactly my mate found out...........he thought they were the new wonder drug...then the stuff stopped working......

9 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

It could be methotrexate a chemotherapy drug that suppresses your immune system. OH has psoriaritic arthritis which is caused by an overactive immune system and was offered methotrexate. He decided his immune system was more valuable than suppressing the arthritus. Just as well with covid about. The other problem with methotrexate is that it can knacker your kidneys and liver and needs very careful monitoring.

My wife is on methotrexate for psoriaritic arthritis, as you say its a potent drug that needs regular monitoring. She has being shielding because of the increased risk from CV19, not a drug you want to be taking but its the lesser of two evils. 

I've been moved from methotrexate to a weekly injection of Benepali/Etanercept. It seems to be OK, but I still get pain, especially after exercise.

It's hard, but an anti-inflammatory diet tends to help me the most. The Mrs is doing Herbalife and I've joined her for a bit. By default I've tended to cut out a lot of the inflammatory foods I'd normally have.