Hide in windy conditions

Humblepie

I was out shooting yesterday and despite the forecast being a dry day with 15mph winds, it turned out to be mostly rain and 30mph winds with gusts far outreaching that. I spent a lot of the time trying to keep my hide on the ground and holding the front two poles upright as the wind was gusting left to right. This gave me an idea that a pole or tension rod between the poles would be a useful bit of kit.

Does anyone know of anything on the market that would work or have come up with their own solution to this?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

Get a couple of guy lines and some tent pegs.

Make triangles and that way you can have a strong hide.

I also use small plastic clips to hold the net securely.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome although I am a returning member with a different username. 

20 minutes ago, mellors said:

Adjustable twist lock curtain rod with 15 mm plastic pipe clip each end. Not the heavy stuff. As said above quy ropes as well. 

Thanks that sounds a good solution

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I think they sell the poles you mean in Decathlon. I use guy ropes or bungees though, less to carry.

They do but there heavy. I have some. 

Another solution if you want a box hide is 15 mm copper pipe with dowel tapped in each end and a 15 mm saddle clip screwed in each end. 

26 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I think they sell the poles you mean in Decathlon. I use guy ropes or bungees though, less to carry.

Thanks I will take a look

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Quicker to type!

Yeah there is that but also I spat my dummy out with the mods over a post and asked them to delete all info they held on me. All a bit childish really hence the new name 

I used the guy rope and plastic tent pegs method, para cord from Army surplus stores is ideal, or bailing twine  !  For lightness and ease of carrying, I used a piece of 3/4" plastic overflow pipe. Cut in half, it was 2 pieces of some 3' length. I then used a push fit 3/4" coupler to join them together. Threaded through the front edge of the roof or back netting, they then clipped into 2 extending alloy fishing bank sticks which had 3/4" plastic 'snap in' pipe clips fixed to the tops. In very windy conditions I would use as many as 6 guy cords and tent pegs, pulled out in all directions. Just be careful you do not trip over them when coming and going from the hide though  !  To hold the net to the poles I used the plastic locking ties sold in garden centres or Pound shops. A small plastic container kept all of the ties and tent pegs together in one place. There are also some green plastic spring plant clips which work well to fix the net to the poles,  in less windy conditions.

Agree with a lot of these sentiments. A telescopic line prop, both ends cut off and 15mm pipe clips screwed (and glued, if you wish, each end). You can cut down the clothes prop to make it shorter. Clothes props from Dunelm for a couple of quid or so. However, lately, I have moved on from this arrangement and have a much better design but I need to try it in the field to make sure that it works before sharing it with you. Guy ropes will work but a heck a lot of faff adjusting them and with the possibility of getting tangled in the things.