Does anyone have the recipe for pickled onions to serve with roast beef?

Shearwater

My nan and mother used to make sweet pickled Spanish onion every Christmas to go on cold turkey sandwiches, its yum.

The pickle needs to-be mild (not neat vinegar) make a mix of of 1 part malt vinegar, to 1 part water, boil the water and add it to the vinegar, I make around half a pint and dissolve 4 table spoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to the warm pickle mix (you can adjust the sugar to your liking) then thinly slice the onion and place in the warm pickle mix, let it cool and then place in the fridge for at least two hours.

You may be happy with the results but I would suggest you do a small sample to get the mix to your liking.

Try some red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for some extra flavour and don't just stop at pickled onion, this also works well with lots of vegetables.

Talking of pickling things, some years ago I was involved with a shoot that had a number of Greek guns, got invited for lunch by one of them and was severed with pickled wood pigeon and a Greek salad, must say it was very nice, got the recipe and did a few pickled pigeons myself.

P.S. Don't pour boiling pickle mix over your onions, unless you want them cooked, you want them crunchy.

46 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Picked onions?  😬

Jars of pickled onions are a British staple. Small whole onions preserved in malt vinegar, perfect with cold meats, pork pies, cheese etc etc. Available in every grocery shop.

The OP is, however, after home made, quick pickled, onion slices. Standard onions, sliced and quickly pickled in spiced vinegar. My Grandma used to do this.

Thanks lads for all your suggestions, I can't believe so many TBH. It just shows apart from shooting, fishing, canines and alcohol we also think about our bellies!!

I'll throw this one while we are on the subject or pickles and things. . . Mint sauce. I have grown up with this one and is wonderful

1. Boil tit kettle and in a cereal size bowl add 3 or 4 good teaspoon's of sugar using as little water until its dissolved.

2. Add 4 teaspoons of concentrated mint sauce and vinegar

3. Chop finely 3 spring onions and add them

4. This is your base mix, you then need to adjust until it's right for you.

5. Just before serving add a 1/4 of shredded  iceberg lettuce.

NB. This is more like a side dish than a condiment but as soon as it hit's the lamb and gravy is the daddy; enjoy

Edited by Shearwater

3 hours ago, Shearwater said:

Hi all, I had some roast beef years ago and it was served with a condiment of raw sliced onions in vinegar, for the life of me I can't find a recipe, it will no doubt have been handed down over the years, does anyone know how to do them? Cheers

Shearwater, we used to have this every Sunday.  Half the onion and then thinly slice it in the alignment that would make rings if it were whole (hope that makes sense) then for a bowl of vinegar maybe 4 inches across by 1 inch deep, mix about half a tspn of sugar into brown malt vinegar.  Leave it to soak as long as you can, my mum used to make it in the morning for a 2pm lunch.

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Jars of pickled onions are a British staple. Small whole onions preserved in malt vinegar, perfect with cold meats, pork pies, cheese etc etc. Available in every grocery shop.

The OP is, however, after home made, quick pickled, onion slices. Standard onions, sliced and quickly pickled in spiced vinegar. My Grandma used to do this.

Well,  I’m a opinion person.  What a good recipe?  

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Spent a bit of time in that vicinity of Brum and didn't think any virgins existed :yay:

I mate some nice young ladies when I briefly lived in Brum, but by god they weren’t a patch on the Scandinavian women I met when working abroad 😮 

Bloody man eaters!! 

As regards to pickles onions, just buy Garnier’s. They’re the best. 

you have all lost the plot................the slime and the water needs to be removed from the onion whatever you do to it.........

peel your onions first...wipe dry.....then put them in a plastic or clay bowl..and throw a good handful of salt over them ...then a quick mix and leave them in the fridge overnight....and you will see why.......in the morning all the slime and water will be in the bottom of the pot....

take the onions out wipe off and THEN......do your recipe....you can leave them in the jar (if you are doing ordinary pickled onions)...for 5 mths and they will still have a loverly crunch to them......

thats a fact...and the best tip for anything to do with raw onions