Delivery to hand

Mitchsan51

It is good to forget about the delivery bit and get you dogs to come in to your hand when they don’t have anything. All my dogs    are taught to put there nose into my palm from a young age. It can be taught with treats as pups but also at your dogs age. It is then a natural progression to put their nose onto your hand whilst carrying something.

Start as a pup, get them holding things in their mouth, 5 seconds is fine, start slow and small and work up, scratch the chest while they are holding. But dont get them holding too long, achieving is what your after however short it is. Then work on delivery, after you have all that you can work on delivery off water and then shake on command :good:

10 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

This does work but would be handy if you tell us what is is doing at the moment as above?

I think it depends, If the dog is a solid retrieve it might pick it back up, or it could just walk after you and leave the retrieve on the floor. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Start as a pup, get them holding things in their mouth, 5 seconds is fine, start slow and small and work up, scratch the chest while they are holding. But dont get them holding too long, achieving is what your after however short it is. Then work on delivery, after you have all that you can work on delivery off water and then shake on command :good:

This is how I do it, train the dog to sit in front of me and hold someone on command. 

Then call it into me repeating the hold command. 1 step only to begin then build it up. 

However there are more than 1 ways to skin a cat and any method that works for you will do the job :) 

21 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think it depends, If the dog is a solid retrieve it might pick it back up, or it could just walk after you and leave the retrieve on the floor. 

This is how I do it, train the dog to sit in front of me and hold someone on command. 

Then call it into me repeating the hold command. 1 step only to begin then build it up. 

However there are more than 1 ways to skin a cat and any method that works for you will do the job :) 

How bigs your dog ???

I hit a sticky patch with my spaniel  at 18 months, I think it was a combination of putting to much pressure on (I was too eager to get the dummy from her)  and she was getting bored (to many retrieves).  I just eased of a bit reduced it to no more than a couple of  retrieves per session or sometime no retrieve at all, I would pick myself.

Made a raised up place board in the garden and tried to make it more fun based. It all came good very quickly.

Try to make the retrieve more interesting, hide the dummy in cover and encourage the dog to hunt for it, when the dog has found it run around and act daft and make it fun for the dog.   

And don't worry too much, I'm sure it will all come good. 

3 hours ago, Mitchsan51 said:

She just drops it about a metre away from me.

How long as the dog been doing this? Have you done something (without knowing) that has made the dog reluctant, How many retrieves do you send the dog for when training? Not knowing the full story of your training regime I would guess at a trainer induced fault.

Spitting dummies is very common, normally in younger dogs but can happen at any stage I suppose. You need to break the cycle / habit by changing things up and retraining each part. Handling dummies in the house is great for young dogs in bad weather. Give them the dummy to hold whilst sat, count to 5/10/100 etc gentle praise and take it back off them without breaking the praise. Next step have the dog heeling indoors with dummy then peep to sit next to you, then command to walk on etc. Plenty of praise. Gets the dog used to carrying the dummy at your side rather than ejecting it. 

I would avoid “normal” retrieves for a while outdoors until you have had chance to retrain the holding aspect. Then in a few weeks when it comes together start with the retrieves outdoors in tight lanes/footpaths and start walking away as she comes back. Call her in to heel rather than sit. Praise her and leave her with the dummy. Carry that on. Then next a few weeks training later is to call her in stationary but ignore the dummy, let her keep it and just praise/cuddle her. If at any stage you hit an issue go back a stage or reassess and replan.