Sunak & Charles

WalkedUp

Has anyone seen the furore about the joke regarding Sunak and Charles? Any thoughts?

I see it as a really interesting tangle. Clearly with the big ears their is a slight physical resemblance, by which the joke was “justified” by the BBC. I understand that the comedian is from an BAME background, however that doesn’t diminish or excuse the racism aspect as the joke still provokes racial division by concentrating upon the Chancellor’s ethnicity rather than his contribution or financial interests. BBC should have understood that whilst it wasn’t racist it was unnecessary and insensitive. What message does it send out to children of Indian heritage, no matter even if you rise to be Chancellor of the UK, you will still just be seen as “brown”?

Then there is the Savid Javid vs Baroness Warsi Twitter spat on the sidelines, I respect both of these for the honour of resigning through principle. Nonetheless from my view Baroness Warsi is largely correct whilst Javid is wildly off the mark.

Has there been any Labour statement? Not to my knowledge. Tories are expected to distance themselves from racist right wingers but Labour haven’t needed to on the left. If I were advising Sir Kier Starmer I would insist upon a release, condemning Javid’s bizarre statement but also taking the opportunity to disown the original joke and lightly scold the comedian (even though she’s young and relatively pretty).

Interested to see alternate views. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pleased to say I was blissfully unaware as I do not partake in any of the social media farce!

Yup, I'm with you on that.

I'm sick and tired of all this PC 💩

I've been fortunate throughout my life of never having worked anywhere that was PC. Although I understand HM Forces is now going that way. When I drove lorries or was employed as  training officer that was never PC. Now retired I'm so un PC I'm real.

2 hours ago, matone said:

Intolerance is this society`s major problem.....

"Tolerance breeds intolerance"

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Karl Popper

6 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

"Tolerance breeds intolerance"

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Karl Popper

The same ethos as within The Selfish Gene, for a dynamic equilibrium to be maintained the extremes of the spectrum must not be suppressed but expected and countered. 

Interesting that so many haven’t seen it especially as you would have thought the negative connection to Labour would align their world view, it highlights why it is important to read a broad range of publications. After searches certain outlets have complete radio silence on it. Perhaps it opens up too much of a can of worms and would divide their readership? As we learnt last week from the Facebook and Google censorship of the Biden laptop leak, the news that isn’t reported is as important as the news that is.  

Edited by WalkedUp

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

but the "woke" brigade, who spend their waking hours seeking out such examples, seem to have missed this.

Why?

Having now gone and looked up what this is all about, I have two suggestions as to 'why'

1. Chancellor Sunak is a Tory (worse still a wealthy high placed Tory) - and as such the 'woke' (who as far as I can tell are all lefties to a greater or lesser degree) would only wish to say negative things about him.
  2. This so called 'comedian' is on the BBC, which nobody seems to watch now - especially not for what the BBC terms comedy.   The BBC used to do some of the best comedies; Only Fools and Horses, Dads Army, Open All Hours, Porridge, Two Ronnies, etc.  Now I find nothing they term comedy to be in the slightest bit funny.

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

The BBC are actually a more effective opposition than the Labour Party.

Lisa Kuensberg is actually the leader of the opposition.

The 'official' Labour leader, Sir Keir, may be learning things.  I understand he is now knocking people of their bicycles.  Perhaps that is why Kahn has vastly expnded the cycle lane fiasco - to protect the urban hard left Islington/Hackney cyclist from the vengeful Starmer?

I've been more interested in reading about the report on anti semitism in the Labour Party thats out today. Lots of people trying to brush that one under the carpet

By rights, Corbyn should be kicked out of the party but I can't see that happening

Edited by Vince Green

The so called comedian was complaining that Sunak did not represent "brown" people's interests. Lets just stop and consider the implications of that statement for a moment. She obviously thinks that he should.

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

In another era it would have passed unnoticed, but the "woke" brigade, who spend their waking hours seeking out such examples, seem to have missed this.

Why?

Left wing comedian Gordon

Edited by Vince Green