.22 - V - 17HMR

Centrepin

My son has persuaded me to apply for my full FAC. This will be the first time I've held one since 98 and I'm a little out of touch.

He owns, .22, 17HMR and. 243 all moderated,of which legally I will have access to, subject to the Police. 

I'm considering buying just the one moderated rifle and would like opinions on which to go for in either .22 or .17HMR. 

Mostly it will be used for rats, occasionally fox. I used to have unmoderated .22 years ago. One was a Henry Martini the other an old Enfield Number 8. 

I'm also applying for a black powder slot for pistol but thats something on my bucket list for later.

Any opinions welcome please.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could ask 22 what, but from your son's collection it has to be 22LR. If that is correct, I'd say neither and go for a 22WMR. This because it is the one missing so far and as they're two a penny currently for a decent one, you'd have enough change for an air rifle for the rats. I'm the same as you regarding the "not since '98" but in my case it is the WMR and I'm amazed at the change in the ammunition availability/capability - although not just at present because of 'you-know-what'. If we could only get these in the UK, have a look at the CCI A22 otherwise known as the 35g Gamepoint. Used when conditions permit - or whenever by a skilled marksman - these are a 150 yard fox round. There is a couple more good for 135 yards, but as my eyes are getting tired I think I'm going to settle for the Remington Accutip unless we can get the CCI 35g although in my case that would be to take advantage of the superior ballistics (bullet path).

Unless you shooting rats on open ground like a silage pit or something with a soft back stop ,I would avoid rimfire altogether. 

A  half decent air rifle is by far the best tool .Having 40 grains of lead bouncing around inside a barn with you is a very scary proposition. 

Personally I'd get a .17 for fox and rabbits  and an air gun for the rats .

As it seems you'd have shared access to the gun cabinet and presumably living together: 

My advice is add an FAC air to the joint armoury as that is your main requirement and use your sons rifles as required.

When you both go out together for vermin other than rats there is little point both of you having the same calibre - so that's when you borrow one of his.

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Unless you shooting rats on open ground like a silage pit or something with a soft back stop ,I would avoid rimfire altogether. 

A  half decent air rifle is by far the best tool .Having 40 grains of lead bouncing around inside a barn with you is a very scary proposition. 

Personally I'd get a .17 for fox and rabbits  and an air gun for the rats .

i agree  .17hmr all day over a .22lr  and a airarms or other multi shot air rifle for the rats

Interesting replies.

My son doesn't live with me but we're talking to the senior Police firearms arms officer about joint access. Mostly to do with the legality of travel and transportation. I meet him after work to shoot. Currently I can only transport his shot and air guns. So he has to take a rifle to work. I can't even transport his ammunition without risking a jail sentence and loss of my licence. This and my desire to use some black powder is my main reason for reapplying for FAC.

For the cost of a .22LR I think I'll go that route. I often take out rats round the barns with 9gr of .410. Always aware of whats around me as I can't afford to pay for damage caused by my negligence. Farmer is more than happy with the job I do and the care I take.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sensible, maybe 85 yards. Certainly accurate enough to place a bullet.

I did once shoot one running with a .22 subsonic at 160 paces, with a witness! Very unlucky fox.

160 paces, I do 120 to 100 yards, so that's a damm good shot Sir. Well done. I'd be lucky to see that far 😃

I think anything up to that range should be reasonable though given the right conditions. 

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

160 paces, I do 120 to 100 yards, so that's a damm good shot Sir. Well done. I'd be lucky to see that far 😃

I think anything up to that range should be reasonable though given the right conditions. 

I’ll tell you the story.

I had taken a youngster for a lamping session. We were driving back across fields with his eleven rabbits when the lamp lit up two foxes about 200 yards away. I squeaked, one bolted and the other ran towards us. No shot was possible because we were looking at it through the Land Rover windscreen. The fox circled clockwise so I poked the .22 out of the drivers window and closed the bolt. The fox heard the bolt close and bolted flat out. It was crossing to my right when I fired and missed, but, as often happens in the lamp, I saw the bullet go and strike low and behind. I worked the bolt, aimed about a foot higher and led him about another two feet and killed it stone dead with a bullet through the shoulder. The teenager thought I was John Wayne. We paced it at 160. Very unlucky fox.

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

I’ll tell you the story.

I had taken a youngster for a lamping session. We were driving back across fields with his eleven rabbits when the lamp lit up two foxes about 200 yards away. I squeaked, one bolted and the other ran towards us. No shot was possible because we were looking at it through the Land Rover windscreen. The fox circled clockwise so I poked the .22 out of the drivers window and closed the bolt. The fox heard the bolt close and bolted flat out. It was crossing to my right when I fired and missed, but, as often happens in the lamp, I saw the bullet go and strike low and behind. I worked the bolt, aimed about a foot higher and led him about another two feet and killed it stone dead with a bullet through the shoulder. The teenager thought I was John Wayne. We paced it at 160. Very unlucky fox.

Taught the youngster all about responsible and humane shooting.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

I could see that.  It's not a good look exactly the sort of attitude that our sport needs to avoid. 

I expected your reaction. 
I am not prepared to argue about it, or discuss it. 
I was responsible for fox control for the shepherd on that ground, in fact, that was the original reason I was asked on to the ground. 
I chucked that one on to the same muck heap where I had put the previous 200 plus.