.22 - V - 17HMR

Centrepin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Wouldn't use 1 on fox W, saw the vid where a fac air was tested on a fox head @ 30 yards , didn't penetrate it, just grazed off it. The Creedmoor takes care of Reynard for me.

Absolutely agree, of course.

A while back my shooting oppo -  whose Air Arms thingy that we'd measured at the 28 ftlbs - while looking as guilty as sin and much to his chagrin told me he'd shot a fox the previous night with it. He'd been out lamping rabbit from his truck and after shooting another had paused for a breather. After a minute or two and although it was too dark to see, he sensed there was something there. Thinking rabbit he upped the rifle and switched the torch on. He explained that he could see it was a fox less than 20 yards away and the sight cross hairs were right between its eyes. He didn't mean to do it, didn't want to do it, but it was such a shock that in an instant and without any thought what-so-ever the trigger was pulled. The fox didn't even flinch but dropped stone dead on the spot with the 'eyes'.

It goes without saying that GT had it right and luck and flukes should play no part in our activities.

28 minutes ago, wymberley said:

He explained that he could see it was a fox less than 20 yards away and the sight cross hairs were right between its eyes..... The fox didn't even flinch but dropped stone dead on the spot with the 'eyes'.

He won't be the only person to do that but understandably few would admit it.

4 hours ago, scobydog said:

Wouldn't use 1 on fox W, saw the vid where a fac air was tested on a fox head @ 30 yards , didn't penetrate it, just grazed off it. The Creedmoor takes care of Reynard for me.

All depends what ftlbs , my fx impact .25 running @ 70 ftlbs  using 33.4 gr pellet and crown .22 running @41 ftlbs using H&N slugs would do the job at 50 yards

some still think FAC airguns only go up up to 28-30 ftlbs using  pellets , but with slugs , it’s a game changer , specially in .22 

Edited by villaman

4 hours ago, villaman said:

All depends what ftlbs , my fx impact .25 running @ 70 ftlbs  using 33.4 gr pellet and crown .22 running @41 ftlbs using H&N slugs would do the job at 50 yards

some still think FAC airguns only go up up to 28-30 ftlbs using  pellets , but with slugs , it’s a game changer , specially in .22 

That's totally your decision villa man, it's just not for me running a 22 at 28 ft lb , and 1 of my shooting mates is similar to you and runs his fx @ 75 ft lb. He shot a fox 2/3 days ago with it and again that's his choice. I had a Prairie Falcon running @ 40ft lb that would probably nail a fox at the right distances but I couldn't be bothered. 

S