Elm hedges.

JDog

46 minutes ago, JDog said:

This is the result of yesterday's hedge flailing. I do not know of any other Elm hedges in these parts. Such a pity.

20201029_155114.jpg

It looks awful but give it a year or two and you'll never know. It might actually save it, Elm only tend to get DED once they become more prominent and are easily noticed by the bark beetle.

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Next year that will come back thicker ans a nice mulch at the bottom , surely suit nesting gamebirds ?.

Elm is a tree and is not designed to be a hedging plant, unlike for instance Hawthorn. It will not sprout from the bottom and I suspect that it's value as a hedge has been diminished greatly.

8 hours ago, JDog said:

Elm is a tree and is not designed to be a hedging plant, unlike for instance Hawthorn. It will not sprout from the bottom and I suspect that it's value as a hedge has been diminished greatly.

I can assure you it hasn't, there was an empty plot down the road from me that had a elm hedge that had been left to grow into a row of scraggly trees. Our contractor smashed it back to sticks for the new owner and it looks a great hedge now. I'll take a picture when I remember, left to get too tall it would definitely succumb to Ded.