Tweed shooting coats ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

At the moment i have a Hoggs of Fife Tweed coat it cost me about £110. Nothing wrong with it but i fancy another brand.

Eg Chrysalis or Musto etc. But how on earth can they be worth 5 or 6 hundred pounds more.  Even Alan Paine at around £350

seems a bit dear. 

I just cant get my head round it. Any explanations chaps ?.

Thanks all.

2 hours ago, samboy said:

I think the simple answer to this question is, you’re paying for the name. 

matalan/primark jeans £15 - Armani jeans £250

baikal 12g £500 - kriegof 12g £20k 

I love mine! It’s a Hoggs bought from YellowBear from off here; totally far too warm and heavy to go shooting in, but as a smart coat it is the dogs doodahs! 
Have to arm wrestle the OH for ownership on nights out, but she does that with all my jackets!

She has a lovely waxed Barbour thaT she reckons I ‘gave’ her! 🤷‍♂️🙂

I bought my Hoggs tweed off this very site - doubt that any amount of money could make it any better than it already is - wore it earlier this week in heavy rain whilst out with the Dogs, totally waterproof and warm to boot I can honestly say that without it the Dogs would have missed their daily hour and a half stroll despite me having several "modern" waterproof/goretex alternatives.

16 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

At the moment i have a Hoggs of Fife Tweed coat it cost me about £110. Nothing wrong with it but i fancy another brand.

Eg Chrysalis or Musto etc. But how on earth can they be worth 5 or 6 hundred pounds more.  Even Alan Paine at around £350

seems a bit dear. 

Thanks all.

Value is relative. My tweed is Ryedale (a value brand), because it's the only one that would fit me. The quality of the more expensive tweeds is much nicer, closer woven, better wound thread, less prone to bobbling and snagging. Cheap tweed looks saggy fairly quickly. Does it matter? Not to me, but then I am not known for my sartorial image. Also I can't shoot in a tweed coat. 

I’ve a musto tweed I must say it’s much nicer to wear than the couple of cheaper ones I have.  Tighter woven wool less bobbles lighter and doesn’t wet out as quickly.  They are great for watching rugby walking to the pub etc but not what I bought them for shooting however the musto is better than the others if your shooting and on a cold dry/snowy day is nice.  

On 31/10/2020 at 18:05, welshwarrior said:

They are great for watching rugby walking to the pub etc but not what I bought them for

This.

Stood at cold clay ground waiting your turn with the wind whistling through the valley, somehow the tweed just filters the wind.  And I'm talking about @ehb102's aforementioned Ryedale one.  Well, not hers specifically. 😁

Anyway, point is, I've tried on more expensive ones and I can see how they'd be better, and certainly easier to shoot in.  But I'm still not going to part with my hard-earned for the amount and type of shooting I do.  There are better options out there.

The Ryedale gets worn mostly for looks/tradition at our little DIY syndicate, but anything else, Jack Pyke coat, and if it's chucking it down, my fancy new Decathlon wet weather coat.  All three of those combined are still less than even one of the cheaper name brand Tweed jackets, and it gives me a choice of tools for the job, as it were.

Wax jacket like cardboard when wet I was after a drovers jacket last week was offered a wax one I asked the young lad that was trying to sell it have you had one on when wet I had to explain what they are like I don’t think she believed me.

I would rather stand in a field naked than where a wax jacket again 

15 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This.

Stood at cold clay ground waiting your turn with the wind whistling through the valley, somehow the tweed just filters the wind.  And I'm talking about @ehb102's aforementioned Ryedale one.  Well, not hers specifically. 😁

Probably room for one more in this one, lad! 

Tweed on the shoot for looks, take off tweed to shoot, if it's raining switch to a technical jacket. 

People like to look traditional, but no one wants someone looking traditional but moaning like a townie that just got out the taxi on a wet shoot day. 

19 hours ago, London Best said:

Seriously, I just can’t understand why so many are saying that they “take off the tweed to shoot” or “can’t possibly shoot in a Barbour.”  
Many, many thousands of head of game have been shot in both. 

I normally shoot and fish in a Barbour, and while it's true that it does go a tad stiff when cold, it's hardly the end of the world like a lot here seem to be makeing out.

I also have a couple of tweed jackets - one of those Rydale ones and a traditional action back type. I normally save the Rydale for winter in a pigeon hide as its generally a bit too warm, but its otherwise fine to shoot in. Raising a gun while wearing the action back is effortless - but the only thing that puts me off wearing it is the knowledge that when you stand out, people tend to take more notice of your shooting, and I do have my off days on occasion. It's also a pig to get blood out of, but generally persistence, salt, and kitchen towel seem to work.

I've got a Hoggs of Fife Harewood jacket and love it, had the first couple couple mornings and I've been wearing it with just a shirt underneath and it's kept all the wind and cold out.

I did have a Ryedale one before, the fit was horrendous. Ordered a small and a medium to begin with, the medium one drowned me and the small wasn't bad the the body but the arms were made for stretch arm strong.

Ended up with an XS in the end as the best compromise. It lasted about a year of pigeon shooting and general wear in the cold before it started to tear under the arms and then the zip broke. 

I did look at musto etc before getting the Hoggs but just can't justify the £500+ price tag. 

I've got a Musto tweed and an Alan Paine Tweed jacket. The Musto is now 11 years old and still comfortable, warm and waterproof. The AP is nice but just not the same quality tweed as the Musto, a bit stiffer, not quite as nicely fitted, but still a good jacket for early season days. As they say, you pay your money, you take your choice, but i always wait and buy my shooting gear in the sales, really not bothered about someone thinking i've got last years tweed on!

AB