Aberdeen always agree costs

Salmo

Just back from aberdeen with a well known goose guide ( also had a flight from a guy who professes to have duck shooting ) early morning teal flight 35 minutes 29 carts fired , 5 guns and 13 teal ...... aye that will be £750 ....... not good . 2 mornings at geese 12 and 23 shots fired morning 2,  4 geese 9 shots fired aye that will be £1440 . What in the name is going on . £150 a gun for ducks and £140 ish for geese ...... just beware and keep money back when you can . A simple contract would be better 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

why not so he should do

Well, Salmo posted in the first person singular so it was obviously he who lacked circumspection and went out on duck and goose flights without agreeing a fee beforehand. He can have no complaints.

16 hours ago, scolopax said:

Charging foreign guns rates to UK shooters. 

It is a nice little earner for many guides, cash too in many cases

Wait, what?  Why should it matter where your client is from?  If you're...ripping them off providing poor value then you won't get repeat business.

34 minutes ago, JDog said:

he who lacked circumspection and went out on duck and goose flights without agreeing a fee beforehand. He can have no complaints.

Those that never make a mistake, never make anything.  He will at least admit to it, and who knows someone may benefit from him posting this.

44 minutes ago, JDog said:

Well, Salmo posted in the first person singular so it was obviously he who lacked circumspection and went out on duck and goose flights without agreeing a fee beforehand. He can have no complaints.

He changed the venue because of wind direction alledgedly  ( we were supposed to shoot near the Loch ) and said we would sort the money after the flight . Then he sprung £750 on us . We never knew it was changed until that morning ...... I’m not stupid if your trying to insinuate that . The guide lied about venue 

16 minutes ago, Salmo said:

He changed the venue because of wind direction alledgedly  ( we were supposed to shoot near the Loch ) and said we would sort the money after the flight . Then he sprung £750 on us . We never knew it was changed until that morning ...... I’m not stupid if your trying to insinuate that . The guide lied about venue 

Fair enough.

8 hours ago, Salmo said:

With what your saying is true your right to name the guide Unfortunately seams to me Greed played its part you’ll know next time 

You must have known the prices beforehand? If so, and he changed the price upwards, you can simply refuse to pay. I am sorry it turned out badly but I wouldn't travel to shoot geese, ducks or anything without knowing what the price would be, or at least a minimum and maximum, depending, presumably, on the bag. 

I have seen lots written about goose shooting in Scotland, and it appears to be incredibly expensive these days. I am not sure why that is?

2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

With what your saying is true your right to name the guide Unfortunately seams to me Greed played its part you’ll know next time 

Won’t be a next time we have plenty geese / ducks at home but like to get awAy ....... finished now tho 

The guide you mention, I and a few mates went there many years ago. Needless to say, we never went back to him. Although we knew the prices per flight, they were a bit on the expensive side, but it was his attitude that made up our minds never to go with him again.

Thought more of getting ******, and seemed to think that because he was providing a service, that gave him the right to speak to you like dirt.

There are other stories I heard about him that I would not put on here.

There were geese there at the time but it’s now shot to ****. 

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Its market forces

There are many shooters, I know a few, who would happily pay that and not give it a second thought

Vince I stay in the heart of goose shooting but like 2/3 days away ...... that me finished with it now . We have plenty shooting of our own 

17 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Vince I stay in the heart of goose shooting but like 2/3 days away ...... that me finished with it now . We have plenty shooting of our own 

I'm told, I have absolutely no personal experience to draw on, that people round the home counties get charged £100 a day to sit in hedge and hope a pigeon or two happens to fly by on the off chance.

There are a lot of people (townies) who desperately want to go shooting but have nowhere to go.  

Edited by Vince Green