Aberdeen always agree costs

Salmo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/11/2020 at 22:20, Salmo said:

Won’t be a next time we have plenty geese / ducks at home but like to get awAy ....... finished now tho 

Salmo you’ll know next time glad you posted you save money and look forward to shooting break then Greed reared it’s ugly head if I’m going to Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 next year I’ll sure not be booking up there 👆 

21 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Salmo you’ll know next time glad you posted you save money and look forward to shooting break then Greed reared it’s ugly head if I’m going to Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 next year I’ll sure not be booking up there 👆 

Aye steer clear pal , I’ve had a few people with bad experiences text me 

19 hours ago, Salmo said:

It was just a shambles from the start , I think aberdeen is going the same way as orkney 

Hi

What is Orkney like? This is a serious question

I've shot ducks and geese in Orkney since I was 10 years old, so I've never been taken out by a local guide-I shoot my own peedie(wee) watery bits, fields etc.

Lately though, I've noticed that a lot of local farmers are not too keen on letting me shoot as they have an arrangement with one or other of the local guides.

It's frustrating that cash is king, but I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised given the money that can be made, although I've heard that some local guides have written this year off due to Covid.

So what is your experience/perception of Orkney goose/duck shooting?

Cheers

Iain

41 minutes ago, yanto said:

Hi

What is Orkney like? This is a serious question

I've shot ducks and geese in Orkney since I was 10 years old, so I've never been taken out by a local guide-I shoot my own peedie(wee) watery bits, fields etc.

Lately though, I've noticed that a lot of local farmers are not too keen on letting me shoot as they have an arrangement with one or other of the local guides.

It's frustrating that cash is king, but I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised given the money that can be made, although I've heard that some local guides have written this year off due to Covid.

So what is your experience/perception of Orkney goose/duck shooting?

Cheers

Iain

I was up their 2 years ago with Stevie Rogers and it was brutal . We shot 12 Greylags in 3 days for 5 guns . The duck shooting was useless and all for the sum off £145 PD PG ...... even the guy who owns the gun shop was struggling ...... no wind ..... forget it 

1 hour ago, Salmo said:

I was up their 2 years ago with Stevie Rogers and it was brutal . We shot 12 Greylags in 3 days for 5 guns . The duck shooting was useless and all for the sum off £145 PD PG ...... even the guy who owns the gun shop was struggling ...... no wind ..... forget it 

Ole Mc Kenzie Thorpe would turn over in his grave if he knew what other guides are charging nowadays , it seemed all the years he was guiding he only charged a £1 a flight and as far as I know the price never went up or down . maybe there might be a ole hand on the forum who went with him who could tell us if that was correct or not :hmm:

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Ole Mc Kenzie Thorpe would turn over in his grave if he knew what other guides are charging nowadays , it seemed all the years he was guiding he only charged a £1 a flight and as far as I know the price never went up or down . maybe there might be a ole hand on the forum who went with him who could tell us if that was correct or not 

Yep, £1/flight, £2/day.

This was in the mid sixties.

Equates to £20 per flight in today’s money. It is simple supply and demand however, to some men £300 a day is nothing and they are willing to pay.

My wild fowling club costs less than £200 a year and has 1000s of pinks, but a bag limit of two grey geese, 10 duck and unlimited Canadas. Average cost per flight is say £20 (10 outings), so far this season the average cost per bird for me is just over £3. 

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yep, £1/flight, £2/day.

This was in the mid sixties.

Wow , it now cost a lot more for a weekly Shooting Times :lol: , £2 a day was very good value even in the 60s , if you done a morning and evening flight you then got a bit of rough shooting thrown in for nought , mind you . if the great man himself had the rights to take you rough shooting was neither here or there , if you didn't ask then you didn't know .

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Wow , it now cost a lot more for a weekly Shooting Times  , £2 a day was very good value even in the 60s , if you done a morning and evening flight you then got a bit of rough shooting thrown in for nought , mind you . if the great man himself had the rights to take you rough shooting was neither here or there , if you didn't ask then you didn't know .

I couldn’t possibly comment!

7 hours ago, motty said:

I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't sort prices out beforehand. Sorry, but that is common sense.

Motty that’s a bit harsh !!! We did but on the last day the guides moved the goal posts . But we won’t be back , we’ve shot plenty geese since we got home . We went for a jolly and got out breeks pulled down , you can try and refuse to pay but I’ve also heard about police involvement...... but again I think your comment is a tad harsh 

15 hours ago, Salmo said:

Motty that’s a bit harsh !!! We did but on the last day the guides moved the goal posts . But we won’t be back , we’ve shot plenty geese since we got home . We went for a jolly and got out breeks pulled down , you can try and refuse to pay but I’ve also heard about police involvement...... but again I think your comment is a tad harsh 

Salmo when you booked did that guide give you any prices through emails etc 

16 hours ago, Salmo said:

Maybe it was a little harsh. However, I can't think of another situation where the prices aren't firmly laid out and agreed.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:15, motty said:

I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't sort prices out beforehand. Sorry, but that is common sense.

Very harsh, under the circumstances 

I've been going to Orkney for years always enjoyed it, you have to remember the guides do all they can, but geese are wild bird's and don't really understand they have to play ball all the time. As it go's you pay your money and take your chance.

1 minute ago, motty said:

Maybe it was a little harsh. However, I can't think of another situation where the prices aren't firmly laid out and agreed.

I've been on a let day and had the goal posts moved in much the same way. Sometimes it happens, and not a lot you can do about it all things considered.

On 03/11/2020 at 22:01, Vince Green said:

There are a lot of people (townies) who desperately want to go shooting but have nowhere to go.  

Also people who don't have the time to invest to maintain a permission. 

I'd pay if there were actually going to be any pigeons. I am shorter of time than I am of money. 

10 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Not like it but don’t think many are , got a good friend ( I shoot with him ) that works with HMRC might speak to him 

I would, anybody worth going with should be registered as a business. 

You should have challenged him, and let him ring the police as you stated. 

You might find he could be warned for wasting police resources. 

You have not committed any offence, it's just a  dispute over a payment that needs addressing.  

• 1 month later...

apart from the venues what else did the guide provide, decoys, hides, transport ??. I know that some guides feed splash ponds for the ducks but geese usually free range on stubble and grass.  Most land owners want the geese moved off the fields and should not charge the guide for providing a service. The guide may provide the landowners with a bottle or two.  In my opinion price should be agreed up front even if the locations change and no bag charge.

fortunately for me I have free shooting (bottle of rum provided for permission) on land close to me. Up early on Saturday morning set out decoys and put up hide myself. 21 shots, 10 grays & 1 pink. I also have free shore access although I havent been on the shore this season yet.

On 12/11/2020 at 07:16, shakin stevens said:

when did you move up to gods country Rob ?? hope you are well