England Lockdown ... implications for shooting

Smokersmith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to hearing the answer, but not counting my chickens. Here in Scotland we are entirely dependent on visiting guns whether game shooting or wildfowling. I was speaking to a good friend and goose guide this morning and that’s his season closed for now. I was due to be in Canada today hunting and that was the end of their season as well. I have been picking up three days a week and I expect that will naturally be at an end.

I am expecting a quiet winter!

I think lots of us are waiting for guidance - logic could suggest that game shooting is ok - I can go to work and sit in an office with windows that don’t open and loads of other people so standing 60yds from someone in a field is definitely safer,  but the political angle of allowing us “posh people” as it will be perceived to continue game shooting when Chantelle and Chazney can’t go to get their awful fake tan, their bits pierced and then Wetherspoons is more likely the problem. 

When we had the last lock down our W A club and no doubt many others put a ban on the marshes until it was lifted and I fear from midnight on Wednesday this new lockdown will again stop you from going , as already stated we are safer down the marsh than we are buying food or going to the garage but we have to comply with the rules , once again , time will tell .

Unless they suspend the general licensing we should be good to go on crop protection and vermin control as we were before. I suppose there will lots of no you can't and yes you can again also you really shouldn't. I'm out unless they definitely say no. Safest place to be at my age. 👍

Don't know about pest control but shooting ranges (both indoor and outdoor) are closed from midnight Weds,

"The government has confirmed leisure centres and gyms will close, as will other indoor and outdoor leisure facilities including:

sports facilities including swimming pools,

golf courses and driving ranges,

bowling alleys,

dance studios,

stables and riding centres,

climbing walls and climbing centres,

archery and shooting ranges."

6 hours ago, hutt said:

Are you able to drive a particular distance to go shooting also?

I was told under 30 mins drive, but again its different rules different areas. My perm takes me 20 - 25 mins normal. 15 in lockdown(no traffic)

4 hours ago, mellors said:

Unless they suspend the general licensing we should be good to go on crop protection and vermin control as we were before. I suppose there will lots of no you can't and yes you can again also you really shouldn't. I'm out unless they definitely say no. Safest place to be at my age. 👍

I'm with you on that, its also my daily exercise.

The Chinese and the hordes of pig ignorant folk who have ignored the guidance, had house parties have a lot to answer for.  The beer and benidorm brigade

We need a proper hard lockdown with schools closed, a curfew and sales of alcohol banned after 5pm, or completely.

Plus rigorous enforcement by police and army.

25 minutes ago, grahamch said:

The Chinese and the hordes of pig ignorant folk who have ignored the guidance, had house parties have a lot to answer for.  The beer and benidorm brigade

We need a proper hard lockdown with schools closed, a curfew and sales of alcohol banned after 5pm, or completely.

It's easy to say close the schools, but what about parents who have jobs they have to go to? I work in horse racing which has carried on right through and my wife works in small animals vets, we have no parents within 2 hours to baby sit (even if it were allowed) and we can survive on one wage.

2 hours ago, grahamch said:

Seriously? Don't you think soldiers have enough to do without patrolling the streets of Britain. Maybe you'd like martial law and a curfew. 

Soldiers aren't traffic bollards to be placed on street corners. 

Soldiers are people too, they have wife's, families, girlfriends, why even I had a mother and possibly a father once.

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

Last night an ilegal rave of over 700 strong in Bristol, just shows we will be in this until next year now. People are not respecting the virus 

11 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Wondering what the latest news means.

Being allowed outdoor recreation with one member from another household would potentially rule out clay shooting and driven game shooting.

It may mean that ‘fowling and pigeon shooting will be ok.

Official guidance appreciated @Conor O'Gorman

I think we're best waiting for the full document that is supposed to be coming tomorrow, hopefully that'll give clarity.

I know one thing, if they say you can travel for exercise, but not go fowling, i'll be more than miffed! Could walk the dog down the foreshore, but not shoot it.

10 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I think we're best waiting for the full document that is supposed to be coming tomorrow, hopefully that'll give clarity.

I know one thing, if they say you can travel for exercise, but not go fowling, i'll be more than miffed! Could walk the dog down the foreshore, but not shoot it.

Just go through the motions mat , saves carry a haul miles and all that plucking 😂