England Lockdown ... implications for shooting

Smokersmith

1 hour ago, 8 shot said:

I would hazard a guess the BASC are negotiating for December and January. If not they may as well fold, the last 12 to 18 month they've pretty much buried game shooting single-handedly

This makes no sense.

The short term needs clarification as a priority. 

They will not fold on the back of a national lockdown.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

This makes no sense.

The short term needs clarification as a priority. 

They will not fold on the back of a national lockdown.

They're a completly toothless organisation, everybody from DEFRA, Natural England and Wild Justice don't take them seriously. Most shoots I beat or shoot on have made the decision for themselves and done the right thing and have already postponded there november shoots. BASC are still seeking clarification on what to do next, the decisions already made around these parts. Game Shooting will not look good if they can't do the right thing for 4 weeks, negotiate a plan for the next month or two.

BASC represent many more than just game shooting (incidentally, it'is also a normal criticism of them to only think about game shooting).

We need clear feedback through Govt. on all forms of shooting, and to be frank, the idea that we can seriously plan more than 4 weeks out given the dynamics of this beast if ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

It isn’t looking very good for game shooting at the moment

In a way - this may not be a bad thing; I appreciate the economic implications (I was running a large shoot in the foot and mouth outbreak - and the prospect of a year with no income was frightening). 

The fact is that the 'toffs' riding around in their RangeRovers carrying on enjoying themselves playing at murdering birds - whilst the working man is confined to home with no wages and having to visit the food bank is not an image to be promoted.

Neither portrait is actually true - but it is the impression given - not the factual truth that counts nowadays.

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

In a way - this may not be a bad thing; I appreciate the economic implications (I was running a large shoot in the foot and mouth outbreak - and the prospect of a year with no income was frightening). 

The fact is that the 'toffs' riding around in their RangeRovers carrying on enjoying themselves playing at murdering birds - whilst the working man is confined to home with no wages and having to visit the food bank is not an image to be promoted.

Neither portrait is actually true - but it is the impression given - not the factual truth that counts nowadays.

+1

the games shoots took a gamble a punt that all would be fine during the pandemic to shoot just like many did with holidays, weddings etc to try and maintain a normal life, but it looks to have turned out badly for everyone.

10 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

What's happening with regards a walked up rough shoot on my own land?

It's just myself and two others. 

As I read it, you are only allowed one other, unless from the same household.

as to walked up rough shooting, nobody will know for certain until the law is passed by Parliament tomorrow, but it is likely to be a no, looking like only pest control and crop protection and then that may only be if you are employed to do so. Once the full details are known it is certain the shooting organisations will publish full details on their websites, all we can do for now is wait and see what happens.

Edited by rbrowning2

6 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

As I read it, you are only allowed one other, unless from the same household.

as to walked up rough shooting, nobody will know for certain until the law is passed by Parliament tomorrow, but it is likely to be a no, looking like only pest control and crop protection and then that may only be if you are employed to do so. Once the full details are known it is certain the shooting organisations will publish full details on their websites, all we can do for now is wait and see what happens.

The two others are from different and separate households. I was thinking with it being entirely outdoors it would be ok. 

Will wait and see. We were going to have our first shoot this Saturday as well. 

25 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

The two others are from different and separate households. I was thinking with it being entirely outdoors it would be ok. 

Will wait and see. We were going to have our first shoot this Saturday as well. 

Yep ... known guidance currently is that you can only meet with one individual from another household in an outdoor setting so at the minimum you’ll need to reduce the party.

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Just seen cspa is making a case for clay shooting to go ahead.

From their website;

Following our statement over the weekend regarding the new Coronavirus lockdown which goes into effect on 5 November, our CEO, Iain Parker, has contacted the Ministry for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport, stating the case for allowing clay shooting to continue as a Covid-safe recreational and exercise activity that can be participated in by groups of two people in line with government guidance.  

We are also working with our fellow shooting organisations to enable shooting sports to continue, albeit in a reduced format. An online petition has been created that, pending approval, will be posted here as soon as possible, to make shooting ranges exempt from the forthcoming lockdown.  

We will provide an updated statement as soon as we have any further news and by Wednesday afternoon at the latest once we have a final position from the Government. 

John Martin – Chairman CPSA

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

From their website;

Following our statement over the weekend regarding the new Coronavirus lockdown which goes into effect on 5 November, our CEO, Iain Parker, has contacted the Ministry for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport, stating the case for allowing clay shooting to continue as a Covid-safe recreational and exercise activity that can be participated in by groups of two people in line with government guidance.  

We are also working with our fellow shooting organisations to enable shooting sports to continue, albeit in a reduced format. An online petition has been created that, pending approval, will be posted here as soon as possible, to make shooting ranges exempt from the forthcoming lockdown.  

We will provide an updated statement as soon as we have any further news and by Wednesday afternoon at the latest once we have a final position from the Government. 

John Martin – Chairman CPSA

Thanks TC, I saw it on Instagram so wasn't sure how to share the link

6 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

:good:hopefully they are successful.

Yeah let's hope so, can't see much if any of an issue with clays being as it's outdoors.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

The guidance "you must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes", and having looked at the list it would require fairly heavy prescription rose tinted glasses to think clay pigeon shooting would fall under that remit

It goes on to say that the Govt have ordered the following to close:

indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, leisure centres and gyms, sports facilities including swimming pools, golf courses and driving ranges, dance studios, stables and riding centres, soft play facilities, climbing walls and climbing centres, archery and shooting ranges, water and theme parks.

Busted flush I'm afraid for the CPSA. Happy to eat my hat, but I don't think it will be required.

Well unfortunately I think you're correct. 

I did clean and oil the competition gun and spare barrels when I put them away after Sundays registered at Northampton.

They will hopefully be used again in December.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

Seems in line with what was originally declared by Govt.

New national lockdown restrictions for England from 5 November – 2 December. 

BASC has been in contact with ministers, MPs and civil servants regarding the imminent national lockdown in England. Our interpretation of the information issued by government to date is as follows:

Driven game shooting should cease on Thursday 5 November and is expected to resume on Wednesday 2 December. England will return to a local and regional approach on 2 December.

BASC is lobbying to ensure that Covid-19-safe driven game shooting can resume when lockdown ends.

Essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock may continue during the lockdown period.

The government has stated that where people cannot work effectively from home they should continue to travel to work/attend their workplace. Game management and gamekeeping activities may continue during the lockdown period.

Rough shooting, wildfowling and deer management may continue during the lockdown period as outdoor recreational activities, as long as you comply with the guidance. This includes making short journeys to your place of exercise, and you can only exercise with people you live with, your support bubble (if you are living alone), or one person from another household.

Click here for the latest government guidance

The government has ordered shooting ranges to close to reduce social contact.

When shooting during lockdown, we would advise taking a copy of your shotgun or firearm certificate with you and paperwork for your permission to shoot on the land you are on.

Everyone shooting during lockdown should consider the impact of their actions on the reputation of shooting.

We will update the above advice as and when new information arises. The underpinning legislation has not yet been published and will be subject to a parliamentary vote on Wednesday 4 November.

I am very quick to criticise people not following the rules, but there is little logic in these rules. 

under tier 3 (which I currently am) I could go game shooting. 

under new lockdown, I cannot go game shooting, but I am able to go to work in an office with no opening windows, no ventilation and multiple difficulties keeping a safe distance (I work in manufacturing). I will of course follow the rules but I am mightily annoyed about the game shoots which in now cannot attend - all because in the short term people failed to follow simple rules and going back to root cause, because the commy Chinese Government at best covered up the disease they allowed to occur or at worst released the disease they created through the incompetence of Chinese “researchers”.