England Lockdown ... implications for shooting

Smokersmith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are back to the situation where common sense prevail , I along with many more wildfowlers have marshes near to hand , those who have to travel a long distance would find it hard to justify travelling a long distance to go wildfowling if stopped by the police , most of our club members live within 20 miles of the shooting grounds and many like myself live a lot closer , so I would be happy to drive to all of the marshes we can go on as the longest drive would be 15 / 20 minutes , but I wouldn't apply for a day permit say on the Wash which is 60 / 70 miles away , at the moment we are lucky we can still go so no point in abusing our good fortune .

15 hours ago, AVB said:

I don’t see rough shooting as a grey area. As far as I am concerned it is pretty obvious that rough shooting which complies with the regulations Re: number of people from outside your ‘bubble’ is legal. It is simply exercising whilst carrying a gun. There is NO limit on the amount of exercise you can take nor the the distance you can travel to partake in exercise. 

If you come across a copper who asks what you are doing it isn’t hard to say “exercising” and If you were in the unlikely situation to come across a copper who disagreed then you either argue your case or say “sorry sir” and turnaround. Nobody is going to lose their ticket over it. 

The problem is that the open air recreation exemption for travel appears to be limited to: public outdoor place.

It's on this document under section 6 being exemption for leaving home: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf

As I have said previously shooters should be careful they are within the rules. 

26 minutes ago, Teal said:

The problem is that the open air recreation exemption for travel appears to be limited to: public outdoor place.

It's on this document under section 6 being exemption for leaving home: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/pdfs/uksi_20201200_en.pdf

As I have said previously shooters should be careful they are within the rules. 

Lost of ‘get outs’ in this. 

You can exercise alone with no reference to needing to be in public place.
No definition of alone i.e. four people each ‘exercising’ alone. 
It is also permitted to exercise an animal also with no reference to having to be in a public place. 

You are right in what you say, but if you are relying on get-outs to justify doing something, it's not a good position. Adding a gun to those scenarios you have listed above does complicate it.

I think caution should be applied by certificate holders as per previous.

Why do we always over analyse and gold plate stuff like this?

Why did some police forces,during the last lockdown, suggest that an SGC might be in jeopardy if one went shooting.

No such threats were levelled against car drivers and their driving licences.

Persionally, if stopped by the police the following pertains. In order to determine whether he considers that I`m breaking the law the officer must question me to ascertain the facts. However, once he suspects an offence he must tell me that I don`t have to say anything, which is what I elect to do.

With no information available to the officer he  cannot draw a conclusion about the legality or otherwise of my actions so cannot issue a fixed penalty notice, or threaten my SGC.

I now film all such interactions with the police.

Edited by mudpatten

Interestingly BASC agree with me in respect of rough shooting. That’s unusual!

quote from BASC website “Rough shooting and wildfowling may continue during the lockdown period as outdoor recreational activities, as long as you comply with the guidance. This includes making short journeys to your place of exercise, and you can only exercise with people you live with, your support bubble (if you are living alone), or one person from another household”

I disagree in respect of making short journeys as this isn’t specified in law. 

Edited by AVB

Farmer left a message this morning - Corvids on my drillings can you come - yes, be there before daybreak and protect your crop. There may not be any beating or game shooting for a month, but crop protection is often equally as good in my eyes. Sunday, so i'll use the 20G hushpower with 21g fibre - well, I would anyway 🙂

Edited by Shotkam