England Lockdown ... implications for shooting

Smokersmith

37 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I think we're best waiting for the full document that is supposed to be coming tomorrow, hopefully that'll give clarity.

I know one thing, if they say you can travel for exercise, but not go fowling, i'll be more than miffed! Could walk the dog down the foreshore, but not shoot it.

Just heard from someone, their fowling group is letting them go. If its them and one other... Sooo who knows... 

Edited by ShootingEgg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Wondering what the latest news means.

Being allowed outdoor recreation with one member from another household would potentially rule out clay shooting and driven game shooting.

It may mean that ‘fowling and pigeon shooting will be ok.

Official guidance appreciated @Conor O'Gorman

BASC's website will be updated tomorrow and in the days to come as details emerge from government on what will be legally permitted and what will be advisory. 

A web-link to the initial government guidance is below and this is being continuously updated:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC's website will be updated tomorrow and in the days to come as details emerge from government on what will be legally permitted and what will be advisory. 

A web-link to the initial government guidance is below and this is being continuously updated:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

Wondering what BASC intend to do to ensure shooting can continue? 

I have notice tonight that a sporting estate will launch legal action next week if it is told it can't continue. Surely that's what the millions of members cash in the BASC bank account should be getting used for? Supporting it's members!

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:

I have notice tonight that a sporting estate will launch legal action next week if it is told it can't continue. Surely that's what the millions of members cash in the BASC bank account should be getting used for? Supporting it's members!

Hi,

Which estate is this? Do you know on what basis?

11 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Seriously? Don't you think soldiers have enough to do without patrolling the streets of Britain. Maybe you'd like martial law and a curfew. 

Soldiers aren't traffic bollards to be placed on street corners. 

Soldiers are people too, they have wife's, families, girlfriends, why even I had a mother and possibly a father once.

The way things are going martial law would be a good idea to control the irresponsible scum who wont follow simple rules 

Tennis and swimming (?!) are trying to get the restrictions relaxed for them as able to distance, as is golf. Fishing has already been confirmed as allowed so their is some hope for game shooting.

UPDATE: 09.15pm 01/11/2020

The Angling Trust is pleased that the government has recognised the value of allowing angling and other forms of outdoor recreation to continue – with members of your own household or with one other individual – through next month’s lockdown. It seems that tackle shops will still be able to operate a ‘click and collect’ service. So we are still fishing.
Whilst we need to see the precise details in the regulations laid before Parliament on Monday it is likely there will be impacts on certain areas of our sport and we will update everybody just as soon as we are able to do so. Thanks for your patience

14 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Seriously? Don't you think soldiers have enough to do without patrolling the streets of Britain. Maybe you'd like martial law and a curfew. 

Soldiers aren't traffic bollards to be placed on street corners. 

Soldiers are people too, they have wife's, families, girlfriends, why even I had a mother and possibly a father once.

There are not enough soldiers to enforce diddly squat these days  

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

The way things are going martial law would be a good idea to control the irresponsible scum who wont follow simple rules 

Keeper from BIG shoot has just called to tell me November’s out, which is understandable. 
I asked if he’d had any feedback from his shooting org’ and he said ‘not a thing’, but the owner has decided to pull the plug as decisions need to be made ASAP, and it’s the look of the thing aswell.
So that’s fair enough, will get a day in tomorrow and that’ll be it til further notice. 

I am really hoping BASC sort something out otherwise I suspect that’s it, we won’t have a game season this year at all as I am very doubtful that the lockdown will end in early December as it will need to be extended due to idiots not following to rules and the Chinese disease prevalence being too high.

Perhaps the season could be extended through February and March?

7 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

I am really hoping BASC sort something out otherwise I suspect that’s it, we won’t have a game season this year at all as I am very doubtful that the lockdown will end in early December as it will need to be extended due to idiots not following to rules and the Chinese disease prevalence being too high.

Perhaps the season could be extended through February and March?

We intend to squeeze a couple more days in during the season once we come out of lockdown next month.
I seriously doubt we’ll be in lockdown over the festive period, there would be outrage and mass non compliance. 

12 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Yep, and I can see the headlines now if they were successful.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

We intend to squeeze a couple more days in during the season once we come out of lockdown next month.
I seriously doubt we’ll be in lockdown over the festive period, there would be outrage and mass non compliance. 

We are heading into uncharted waters Scully , earlier on in the year there was talk that the virus would be all over by Oct , now we know even the so called experts were caught napping by the speed of the daily confirmed positive cases, and when the lockdown is reviewed in early Dec it will be down to the R rate weathered the lockdown will be lifted or not , all our shoots are now on hold and I was just told about one big commercial shoot near me that had 20 odd shoots lined up for Nov and most of them were 200 bird days , you are talking about some serious money to be sorted out .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We are heading into uncharted waters Scully , earlier on in the year there was talk that the virus would be all over by Oct , now we know even the so called experts were caught napping by the speed of the daily confirmed positive cases, and when the lockdown is reviewed in early Dec it will be down to the R rate weathered the lockdown will be lifted or not , all our shoots are now on hold and I was just told about one big commercial shoot near me that had 20 odd shoots lined up for Nov and most of them were 200 bird days , you are talking about some serious money to be sorted out .

Serious money indeed. BIG shoot will be looking at losses of 15 to £20,000 per let day during lockdown as the days are too big logistically to rearrange at such short notice. 
As for our little syndicate, it’ll be relatively straightforward to rearrange. 
Politicians will be wishing fervently for reduced cases, as it could well be political suicide to continue the lockdown over or during the lead up to the festive season. 

Edited by Scully

On 01/11/2020 at 19:27, ShootingEgg said:

Last night an ilegal rave of over 700 strong in Bristol, just shows we will be in this until next year now. People are not respecting the virus 

There was a simple solution to end this event, but nobody had the sphericals to do it.  Cover every exit, then simply lob in a few dozen CS canisters, sit back and wait  !

Edited by Westley

Latest information from BASC as follows:

New national lockdown restrictions for England from 5 November – 2 December. 

BASC is clarifying with government the detail of the Covid-19 lockdown restrictions due to take effect in England from 5 November to 2 December and what this means for shooting.

The underpinning legislation has not yet been published and will be subject to a parliamentary vote on Wednesday. This makes it difficult to provide definitive answers in the short term.

It is likely that essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock will be permitted.

It is unclear whether game shooting will be permitted due to restrictions on travel and social gatherings and guidance on the status of organised outdoor sporting activities is yet to be published. We are also seeking clarity on the legality of rough shooting and wildfowling.

Shoots have a legal duty of care towards birds under their care so essential gamekeeping such as feeding must continue.

The government has stated that it has ordered certain businesses and venues to close to reduce social contact and this includes shooting ranges.

Click here for the latest government guidance.