Jump to content

So where do I stand?


Recommended Posts

I bought a 2006 freelander a month ago with 3 month warranty from a local dealer where we agreed on things to do one of which was a binding noise coming from the rear brakes. Anyway everything was meant to have been done!

There was still a noise from the rear brakes so It went back and they said the rear sliders needed a good clean etc and that all was ok. Anyway took it up the road and still not fixed so it went back again, theyhave fitted new rear discs and handbrake shoes and adjusted 1 hand brake adjuster was partly seizes and returned motor  Friday night to say all fixed no noise.

well first thing Saturday and noise is still there and hasn’t gone away at all over the weekend after doing about 80 miles in it to see if bedding in issue.

they are due to take a look again on Tuesday and have said if they can’t fix it he will give me a refund as he has spent so much on it he wasn’t to call it quits as he is £600 down. ( obviously so he can sell it to someone else for more money)

now I have spent a few quid on it my self for mats, liner full tank of fuel etc etc and don’t really want to hand it back and lose money on it.

so can I dig my heels in so he does cure it as he isn’t going to want to pay me the refund plus £200 is he?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you bought the car from a dealer you have a six month guarantee in accordance with the 'Sale of Goods Act' or whatever it is called now. This basically says that any faults that appear on the car within six months of purchase are deemed to have been present when the car was purchased. I am not sure where wear and tear come into this.

Vic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, archi said:

I bought a 2006 freelander a month ago with 3 month warranty from a local dealer where we agreed on things to do one of which was a binding noise coming from the rear brakes. Anyway everything was meant to have been done!

There was still a noise from the rear brakes so It went back and they said the rear sliders needed a good clean etc and that all was ok. Anyway took it up the road and still not fixed so it went back again, theyhave fitted new rear discs and handbrake shoes and adjusted 1 hand brake adjuster was partly seizes and returned motor  Friday night to say all fixed no noise.

well first thing Saturday and noise is still there and hasn’t gone away at all over the weekend after doing about 80 miles in it to see if bedding in issue.

they are due to take a look again on Tuesday and have said if they can’t fix it he will give me a refund as he has spent so much on it he wasn’t to call it quits as he is £600 down. ( obviously so he can sell it to someone else for more money)

now I have spent a few quid on it my self for mats, liner full tank of fuel etc etc and don’t really want to hand it back and lose money on it.

so can I dig my heels in so he does cure it as he isn’t going to want to pay me the refund plus £200 is he?

 

You could but then it all starts to get very messy indeed. Sounds to me like he is trying hard to sort it out. I would accept the return, syphon the fuel if you have to, keep the mats and liner and buy another. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First 30 days you can take it back and ask for a full refund - but you could also suggest that it goes to a decent LR Independant and it gets fixed properly if you intend to keep it. Doubt that he is under any obligation whatsoever to refund you for any "upgrades" but the law is on your side - he has had ample opportunity to fix the vehicle and you have been "reasonable" in allowing him to do so.

Edited by bruno22rf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth considering  .is that thats age and model of freelander is just a massive pile of problems waiting to drain your money . I know of a few people who literally threw more and more money at them just to end up selling or scrapping them .

I very much recommend you get your money back now .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, take your money and run. Not a lot of dealers make that offer. I'd snap it up.

Cut your losses, I think he's been more than fair trying to fix and is probably breaking even or loosing himself now, hence the refund.

He will sell it again, but he's a business, in it for profit not to make friends.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VicW said:

Since you bought the car from a dealer you have a six month guarantee in accordance with the 'Sale of Goods Act' or whatever it is called now. This basically says that any faults that appear on the car within six months of purchase are deemed to have been present when the car was purchased. I am not sure where wear and tear come into this.

Vic.

What Vic said.

I have rejected a car under this law and it was collected,we were refunded less some for the use we had.

Was happy with deal and relieved ,my daughter is a solicitor 👍😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yup, take your money and run. Not a lot of dealers make that offer. I'd snap it up.

Cut your losses, I think he's been more than fair trying to fix and is probably breaking even or loosing himself now, hence the refund.

He will sell it again, but he's a business, in it for profit not to make friends.

 

What he says. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Also worth considering  .is that thats age and model of freelander is just a massive pile of problems waiting to drain your money . I know of a few people who literally threw more and more money at them just to end up selling or scrapping them .

I very much recommend you get your money back now .

Plus one, all day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1.   Get shot  of it, the fact that it's on a dealer forecourt at all means that someone else got sick of problems with it - the trader has probably seen other stuff that needs fixing and knows those will be further problems that he'll need to fix with a cost attached.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/11/2020 at 16:37, oowee said:

You could but then it all starts to get very messy indeed. Sounds to me like he is trying hard to sort it out. I would accept the return, syphon the fuel if you have to, keep the mats and liner and buy another. 

 

The best advice your going to get. I would just write off the fuel costs, count yourself lucky the dealer sounds decent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...