Bad shot ?

hodge911

23 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

That has to be the worst hunting shot I've ever seen taken .I hope he felt terrible watching the poor animal suffer and drown .and the guide saying well done REALLY ! 

Agree 100% - and the guide is a professional I'm guessing - with all the relevant paperwork. Is it really any wonder that shooting is doomed with half wits such as these around?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been offered the chance a couple of times to stalk deer but it have never appealed to me and I have turned it down , good luck to those that do stalking and I am sure the majority go about it in a very professional and humane way , after watching the above clip and the chap is laughing at the end of it of what seemed very distressing for the animal involved and can only do stalking a lot more serious harm than good .

23 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Imho videos like this give the antis ammunition for their fight against us as "joe public" will be upset / offended at things like this 

I was offended by it let alone someone who doesn't shoot. I have shot many deer over the last gawd knows how many years, but I couldn't watch that video. Absolutely appalling.

One of the worst shooting videos iv'e ever seen, I'm sure the anti's have a hold of it at this stage and what ammunition to give them when I as a shooter is appalled,that was an ambush not a stalk and to make is worse they left it suffer and you could see the panic in the animal trying not to drown. Bad sportsmanship.

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to comment on the shot, but it a perfect example where as a shooting community we shoot our selves in the foot, the video should never have been taken unless for personal consumption of the hunting party only and never allowed to be passed on such that it could then be on social media. Somethings are best kept private.

Can't get my head around this. As if the original video isn't bad enough some eejit then decides to air it on TV for all the world to see.

Do some people in the stalking world actually think that something like this is a normal conclusion to a deer stalk (or ambush). If they do then perhaps they are not the sort of people who should be gun owners.

The full story behind this was that it was a second shot on the deer , having only wounded it first shot a little time earlier , was with a professional guide and between them viewed it the best chance to put the deer down to stop it suffering 

there is a version going round that the deer were herded into the water , untrue ! 

It was a lung shot , high , there will be a debate about whether another shot should have been fired but those on the ground thought it adequate, I’m not defending or berating this action but if it was filmed it should not have been put out on the web fo4 all to see and to fuel the antis 

The problem here is the fact it was put on social media by whatever means. 

But without being filmed in the 1st place that could not have happened.

Maybe we should all think what we post as far as pictures video footage etc this is one of the best examples of footage that should have been left on the recording device. 

10 hours ago, mossy835 said:

cant under stand why they put it up.

If the follow up story is true then I don't have any problems with the actions in the video. 

The shot came during a window where the stag had a big rock backstop behind it. Presumably a second or third follow up shot wasn't taken because the stag had moved and the next shot wouldn't have been safe. Difficult to judge from a video where the camera and the rifle are at different angles. 

Personally I might have moved my position to shoot again but I wasn't there. 

I imagine the laughing etc is more elation at having ended a follow up of a wounded deer. Having wounded deer myself and then had a lengthy follow up it is a massive relief when you finally fix your mistake. I wasn't there so I don't know though. 

Whoever said they think it's illegal to shoot an animal in the water... It isn't. 

What I can't get my head around is the obsession with filming every thing. Not only that but putting it on the internet? What the **** is the motivation behind that? 

The fact that it was a second shot makes it worse for me - who's pulling the trigger? Mr Magoo? To attempt to justify this clip as anything other than downright cruelty is sheer folly - and as for why are clips like this released, is it OK to let this kind of practice continue as long as no body sees it? The shooting community needs to clean up it's act and damned fast if it has any hope of surviving long term. Laughing as an animal dies in pain and fear is the act of a complete moron - no excuses.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

The fact that it was a second shot makes it worse for me - who's pulling the trigger? Mr Magoo? To attempt to justify this clip as anything other than downright cruelty is sheer folly - and as for why are clips like this released, is it OK to let this kind of practice continue as long as no body sees it? The shooting community needs to clean up it's act and damned fast if it has any hope of surviving long term. Laughing as an animal dies in pain and fear is the act of a complete moron - no excuses.

If you have never had to take a follow up shot at deer. You're either a liar or you have shot **** all. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

If it was a 2nd shot it still failed to quickly despatch the beast. Needing three shots (not that they actually fired the third) to do the job isn’t particularly impressive - wouldn’t video or post it. 

Well yes. Of course. 

None of it is impressive. If I have a client and a deer needs follow up it's me that shoots, not the client as typically they are less experienced, adrenaline is up etc. So why the guide isn't shooting here I'm not sure. 

It looks to me like he tries to body shoot it but the shot is actually lower than the water level which again was a poor choice but how much more was showing? Neck and head on a moving deer? 

And my guess would be a third shot wasn't fired due to backstop. As I said before he could have walked 30yds down the shore and shot it again. 

All very difficult to say as it is total speculation, none of us were there at the time. 

I wouldn't and don't video any of my shooting, I can't understand why anybody would ever want to do so unless they think they are hot ****. 

1 minute ago, ClemFandango said:

Well yes. Of course. 

None of it is impressive. If I have a client and a deer needs follow up it's me that shoots, not the client as typically they are less experienced, adrenaline is up etc. So why the guide isn't shooting here I'm not sure. 

It looks to me like he tries to body shoot it but the shot is actually lower than the water level which again was a poor choice but how much more was showing? Neck and head on a moving deer? 

And my guess would be a third shot wasn't fired due to backstop. As I said before he could have walked 30yds down the shore and shot it again. 

All very difficult to say as it is total speculation, none of us were there at the time. 

Agree 👍

14 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Whoever said they think it's illegal to shoot an animal in the water... It isn't.  it was me who said it and i dont care who thinks its ok to do it its not and it should be made illegal

Why? 

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I can say, hand on heart, that I never have, but then I dont shoot deer. I prefere to watch them. 

Fair enough. 

15 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

If you have never had to take a follow up shot at deer. You're either a liar or you have shot **** all. 

This isn't about taking a follow-up shot, this is about filming a bodged job and then having a good laugh as the poor animal struggles to swim to land as it is dying......................

And then putting it on the internet for all the world to see.

Earlier this year I botched a shot at a fox. It moved on the shot and I hit it on the front leg. As it struggled to run off I managed to put another shot into it....

I was absolutely mortified by the situation and certainly didn't see anything to have a laugh about, and if anyone had been videoing it I would have demanded that the video be deleted. The thought of someone putting it on the internet for everyone to see would have been the most humiliating thing anyone could have done to me.