Bad shot ?

hodge911

27 minutes ago, Graham M said:

This isn't about taking a follow-up shot, this is about filming a bodged job and then having a good laugh as the poor animal struggles to swim to land as it is dying......................

And then putting it on the internet for all the world to see.

Earlier this year I botched a shot at a fox. It moved on the shot and I hit it on the front leg. As it struggled to run off I managed to put another shot into it....

I was absolutely mortified by the situation and certainly didn't see anything to have a laugh about, and if anyone had been videoing it I would have demanded that the video be deleted. The thought of someone putting it on the internet for everyone to see would have been the most humiliating thing anyone could have done to me.

I totally agree. I'm not trying to justify anything in the video and I am not saying I agree with the actions of the guide or the client. I put my thoughts on that in my first post. 

I am totally with you on videoing. You have to ask... Why would you? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

This isn't about taking a follow-up shot, this is about filming a bodged job and then having a good laugh as the poor animal struggles to swim to land as it is dying......................

And then putting it on the internet for all the world to see.

Earlier this year I botched a shot at a fox. It moved on the shot and I hit it on the front leg. As it struggled to run off I managed to put another shot into it....

I was absolutely mortified by the situation and certainly didn't see anything to have a laugh about, and if anyone had been videoing it I would have demanded that the video be deleted. The thought of someone putting it on the internet for everyone to see would have been the most humiliating thing anyone could have done to me.

Great post 👍

In my view, having shot and wounded red deer in the past (but thankfully recovered them), if it was a second shot and that was the only opportunity to take it, then fair enough.

However the men involved in posting the video for all to see can only be classed as imbeciles. Those who are against such activities are not happy to see animals cleanly killed never mind shot and wounded and finished off in this fashion.

Teenage girls and young women are taught not to send nudes etc as a they will be spread out of their control. Maybe us sportsmen need to have a similar mindset before sharing images or films with our friends via WhatsApp or certainly posting on public forums. 

Edited by WalkedUp

Bit of a storm-in-teacup for me. The Fieldsports Britain video answers some of the questions that have arisen from the original video. None of it was ideal, but I've thought for a long time that British hunters are their own worst enemy in terms of criticising their fellow sportsman. It has got worse with the advent of social media. **** happens. It would take a few seconds to find far more distasteful things on YouTube. Hog hunting from a chopper with a mini-gun anyone?

32 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

The stag was injured previously according to the poster so it was humane despatch. 

Why does shooting have to be sporting as long as it is humane?

21 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Teenage girls and young women are taught not to send nudes etc as a they will be spread out of their control. Maybe us sportsmen need to have a similar mindset before sharing images or films with our friends via WhatsApp or certainly posting on public forums. 

You mean I have to stop sending people my nudes now? 

1 minute ago, ClemFandango said:

The stag was injured previously according to the poster so it was humane despatch. 

Why does shooting have to be sporting as long as it is humane?

according too them it was a bad shot before why was that not on video,   your quarry should have a sporting chance and that video proved it was NOT humane

25 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

according too them it was a bad shot before why was that not on video,   your quarry should have a sporting chance and that video proved it was NOT humane

You'd have to ask them why they didn't video it. 

No. You shouldn't give your quarry a sporting chance. I assume you would like telescopic sights banned? Firearms? 

You would prefer to run your quarry down on foot and punch it to death? 

2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

You'd have to ask them why they didn't video it. 

No. You shouldn't give your quarry a sporting chance. I assume you would like telescopic sights banned? Firearms? 

You would prefer to run your quarry down on foot and punch it to death? 

Absolutely correct. A deer should be completely unaware of what is happening until it gets hit by what is basically the hammer of Thor. If the shot has been taken carefully it will drop on the spot, or at worst run for a few yds and then drop.

I have found that most of the deer than run for hundreds of yds are the ones shot by shooters with too much adrenalin flowing and a bit of a tremble. Surely it's better to stalk slowly and then settle yourself for that all important shot, rather than work yourself up into a state where you need to get the shot off regardless.

I have watched deer move off rather than take a shot where my heart rate was up and the crosshairs were all over the place.

I think this is the problem. Some shooters have paid for a stalk and are determined to shoot something even if the shot isn't really on, only to find that for a couple of extra minutes they would have either had a deer move off, or a great shot to remember.

42 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Think we are moving away from the OP, so perhaps it's best to put this one to bed.

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

Absolutely correct. A deer should be completely unaware of what is happening until it gets hit by what is basically the hammer of Thor. If the shot has been taken carefully it will drop on the spot, or at worst run for a few yds and then drop.

I have found that most of the deer than run for hundreds of yds are the ones shot by shooters with too much adrenalin flowing and a bit of a tremble. Surely it's better to stalk slowly and then settle yourself for that all important shot, rather than work yourself up into a state where you need to get the shot off regardless.

I have watched deer move off rather than take a shot where my heart rate was up and the crosshairs were all over the place.

I think this is the problem. Some shooters have paid for a stalk and are determined to shoot something even if the shot isn't really on, only to find that for a couple of extra minutes they would have either had a deer move off, or a great shot to remember.

Yep. 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

I don’t condemn anyone who goes deer stalking but myself i just could not take the life of a magnificent animal like a stag.

It made my knees tremble a bit the first one I shot. This after nearly thirty years shooting rabbits and birds. I was hooked immediately. Approximately six hundred deer later I am beginning to get used to it.

I only seen the clip of them swimming,  was it a head shot?? , that's the only shot you have. I thinking how the hell you going to recover that! Without a boat. I've not shot any red but a lot of my friend have contract stalkers , game keepers ect and what they tell me is if you've never shot a red before you will not think how are you going to recover that but that's the most important thing. You could be hours and hours trying to recover , think before you pull the trigger.