Threatened with Arrest.

fatchap

I was threatened with arrest yesterday by some jobsworth park ranger.

I was out with the pooch over the Manor or Dagnam Park as its properly called. And thought I struck gold when I found  what looked like half a full antler.  There was plenty of knife handles and stick tops on it. So carried it back to the car.

The park ranger was at the car park talking to some fishermen waiting for him to open the gate. He spots me and drives over as I am popping the boot of my car. 

He tells me if I put that in my boot he will ring the police who will arrest me for poaching. Those antlers are the property of the council. I asked him if he was on a wind up and he assured me that as soon as I put them in my boot and close it. I have stolen them. 

I've had the same thing with mushroom picking over there, had a great big bag of St Georges mushrooms a few years back and got collared by the ranger as I got back to my car. Got tole to throw them in the bushes as they cannot leave the park by law.

Anyway back to the antlers. I pointed out a big German Shepperd that was trotting along with his owner. Now this dog had a tree branch in its jaws and was obviously leaving the park by the pedestrian entrance. I said to the ranger is that theft as well? The ranger said yes and shouted at the bloke that the branch could not leave the park and the dog should put it down.

Seriously what a Jobsworth ********. How can picking up a set of antlers in anyway shape or form be classed as poaching? They had fallen off the animal, I hadn't shot it or I would be carrying its carcass and gun as well, now thats poaching.

I gave them to him muttered something about his questionable parentage and drove home empty handed, Gutted I was, next time I find some and the ranger is about I will hide them and come back when the Jobsworth has gone.

Never heard anything like it in my life.

4 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I was threatened with arrest yesterday by some jobsworth park ranger.

I was out with the pooch over the Manor or Dagnam Park as its properly called. And thought I struck gold when I found  what looked like half a full antler.  There was plenty of knife handles and stick tops on it. So carried it back to the car.

The park ranger was at the car park talking to some fishermen waiting for him to open the gate. He spots me and drives over as I am popping the boot of my car. 

He tells me if I put that in my boot he will ring the police who will arrest me for poaching. Those antlers are the property of the council. I asked him if he was on a wind up and he assured me that as soon as I put them in my boot and close it. I have stolen them. 

I've had the same thing with mushroom picking over there, had a great big bag of St Georges mushrooms a few years back and got collared by the ranger as I got back to my car. Got tole to throw them in the bushes as they cannot leave the park by law.

Anyway back to the antlers. I pointed out a big German Shepperd that was trotting along with his owner. Now this dog had a tree branch in its jaws and was obviously leaving the park by the pedestrian entrance. I said to the ranger is that theft as well? The ranger said yes and shouted at the bloke that the branch could not leave the park and the dog should put it down.

Seriously what a Jobsworth ********. How can picking up a set of antlers in anyway shape or form be classed as poaching? They had fallen off the animal, I hadn't shot it or I would be carrying its carcass and gun as well, now thats poaching.

I gave them to him muttered something about his questionable parentage and drove home empty handed, Gutted I was, next time I find some and the ranger is about I will hide them and come back when the Jobsworth has gone.

Never heard anything like it in my life.

He's right. But then again, so were you in questioning his parentage. What a tool.

Yes. I'd contact the Council as I also think that he's likely selling them. Same "old Spanish Custom" at Cockfoster's Underground Station about the lavatories being locked but a "20p donation to charity" for access. I kicked up a stink with Transport for London asking which charity. It's not about being petty on your part it is about someone else likely being dishonest.

Working for a local authority , I can see quite a few likely reasons why he seemed so unreasonable. 

The most likely is that some manager has told him that nothing is to leave the park , or the ranger will be facing disciplinary action ( probably brought on by some fool with a chainsaw cutting down trees for firewood ) or something equally as daft.

Another likely scenario is that the ranger is indeed selling them or giving them away , or , the ranger is just a jumped up little Hitler. 

It might also be that school trips visit the area , and they like the kids to find them .

I have to do things every day that look pretty stupid to everyone (especially me), and I often feel so embarrassed that I can hardly get the words out of my mouth , but it's often the case that it really can be more than my jobsworth 😳.

I would make a serious and lengthy complaint to the council detailing the blokes ridiculous behaviour. 

I can imagine they will tell him to grow up. 

I would continue to make a complaint if you saw him again and he did more silly stuff such as with your mushrooms. 

It goes on their stats and they don’t like it. 

If he didn't see you pick them up and  you didn't tell him where you did, police could not charge you as you had them when you either came or found them outside the park.

With regards mushrooms, check the local bylaws for park as, park council rules of r guidance is not law.