Incident with a shotgun in public - what would you do?

Raja Clavata

Yesterday morning whilst out cycling with my son, as I turned right onto the A128 at Pilgrims Hatch, a guy stepped out of his house carrying an unbroken shotgun, (effectively pointed in my direction) turned out of his garden and started walking down the adjacent lane. There was another guy behind him carrying a gun in a concealed sling. 

It all happened very quickly but the first guy and I properly clocked oneanother and he had a proper smug look on his face - we were someway up the road before I fully absorbed what had happened. I suspect they were going clay pigeon shooting.

It kind of bugged me for the rest of the day, sure it's a semi rural area but it's also in plain sight and I can't imagine many in the area would consider it acceptable behaviour.

I was tempted to return later and politely knock at the house stating what I'd seen and suggesting it might be wise to avoid such displays in the future but who knows how that would go.

I'm aware that if I spoke to the Police about it they'd probably be straight round there confiscating anything they found (Essex Police don't need much of an excuse).

Am I being overly sensitive or busy body like - what would you have done / suggest I should do? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

this has to be a joke knock on the chaps OWN home and give advice? call the POLICE on him? are you a park ranger or traffic warden by any chance seriously bad form mate 

I suggest you read the first post again, would you walk around a clay ground with an unbroken gun? Or a driven shoot? No it's broken or in a bag.

The fella probably does it all the time if he lives right by the land he shoots on, doesn't mean it's right though.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I suggest you read the first post again, would you walk around a clay ground with an unbroken gun? Or a driven shoot? No it's broken or in a bag.

The fella probably does it all the time if he lives right by the land he shoots on, doesn't mean it's right though.

^^^^ This. I had one deliberately pointed at me by a trespasser when I was out shooting foxes. Police were straight round to his house and about 6 months later informed me that they had removed his son's gun as the father had previously had his confiscated.

Many times it is perfectly acceptable to carry a gun unbroken. How else are you going to carry such if a walking gun with the beaters' line on a driven day or a walking gun on a walked up or rough shooting day. And it is also the usual way for a loader to carry a pair of guns if he/she needs to walk with with his client and there are no gunslips. One gun broken in the crook of the left arm and the other closed held muzzle up in the hand of that left arm with the barrels vertical. And as I've written elsewhere he is committing no offence. The person in question isn't on a clay ground he's just stepped out of his house and like many people finds it easier to do so if his gun is closed rather than broken. 

Just now, enfieldspares said:

Many times it is perfectly acceptable to carry a gun unbroken. How else are you going to carry such if a walking gun with the beaters' line on a driven day or a walking gun on a walked up or rough shooting day. And it is also the usual way for a loader to carry a pair of guns if he/she needs to walk with with his client and there are no gunslips. One gun broken in the crook of the left arm and the other closed held muzzle up in the hand of that left arm with the barrels vertical. And as I've written elsewhere he is committing no offence. The person in question isn't on a clay ground he's just stepped out of his house and like many people finds it easier to do so if his gun is closed rather than broken. 

Out of his house, beyond his boundary and effectively on the pavement of an A road? I thought that was an offence.

There is no offence whatsoever carrying an unloaded shotgun in public out of a case, pointing it at someone is another matter and only the op can decide if it was pointed at him. 

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

No. If he has a reasonable excuse, or lawful authority, he is permitted to have an unloaded shotgun in a public place. I've carried such on the streets in Birmingham's gun quarter, no slip, and was challenged by an off-duty policeman and had him back down once I'd told him the law. Firearms Act s19.

Just beat me to it. 

I think involving the police is a very bad idea.  It will only ever serve to have a negative impact on shooting and gun ownership, and you've got to think of the guy himself - it must be a pretty stressful experience having plod knock on your door investigating your alleged wrong-doing involving a firearm.

If you feel especially compelled to take action, maybe Pete's advice above is probably the best solution?  Carefully worded without being preachy.

He'll probably read it, swear, tear the note up and carry on regardless!  However at least you'll have obeyed your conscience and taken some sort of action.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to knock on his door! :D

What is to be gained by knocking on the man's door? I don't think he would say thank you. A note through his door - would he take any notice? He needs a wake up call.

If he didn't think he was doing anything untoward, he is very silly. If he hasn't done anything wrong, why would he lose his licence?

If you have a SGC you have to be squeaky clean.  

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

What would a reasonable excuse or lawful authority constitute in this scenario?

Going out shooting, taking his guns to where he stores them, any lawful reasons to move them. 

Just now, ant1 said:

COULD THE GUN HAVE BEEN A SEMI AUTO BY ANY CHANCE.

It makes no odds, there's no requirement in law to have the gun broken. As long as it is unloaded and he didn't put someone of reasonable  firmness in fear of violence. 

An unloaded shotgun can be carried with no slip, a firearm or airgun must be in one in a public place

4 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Going out shooting, taking his guns to where he stores them, any lawful reasons to move them. 

It makes no odds, there's no requirement in law to have the gun broken. As long as it is unloaded and he didn't put someone of reasonable  firmness in fear of violence. 

NOT DISAGREEING  WITH YOU, JUST THE OP FIRST REACTION WAS TO AN UNBROKEN GUN

16 minutes ago, ant1 said:

NOT DISAGREEING  WITH YOU, JUST THE OP FIRST REACTION WAS TO AN UNBROKEN GUN

Yeah sorry, was just clearing any confusion up. 

I've got to be honest, despite it not being against the law, I always slip my shotguns and am as discreet as possible, it's not worth the agro with police being called and you wouldn't want to attract a burglary either.