Incident with a shotgun in public - what would you do?

Raja Clavata

On 04/11/2020 at 10:45, Gordon R said:

I struggle with some of the logic.

If the shooter has done nothing wrong, the Police will do nothing.

If he has done wrong, then that should be brought to the attention of the Police.

So just what is wrong with them being made aware? 

I understand your logic.

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

OP - It sounds from your description that the individual was behaving a bit "Billy big balls". Sometimes even otherwise responsible people can act like a ****. 

He was, if it wasn't for the look on his face I wouldn't have thought about it much more and certainly not posted about it on here.

Last year my brother experienced a full blown hard stop from multiple ARVs from Essex Police whilst returning home from one of his permissions late at night. He's pretty robust but the whole experience really affected him for a while, fortunately he had his gun and other confiscated equipment returned within a week but he spent the night in a cell in the process. Our mate who was with him got the full scale home visit in the early hours and in the process they removed the entire contents of his gun cabinet. Both did absolutely nothing wrong and almost got an apology from the visiting liason officers.

I'd hate to be responsible for someone just having a bad day to be subjected to something similar, or worse.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

So op is cycling past a house and sees a bloke walk out of a house on the other side of the road carrying a closed shotgun. Said bloke has a smug look on his face.

On the other side of the road some bloke who just got his sgc through the post that morning has just bought his first two guns from the bloke in the house and is very happy, even smirking to himself. Having had no previous training or safety talks he carries one gun out of the house to his car around the corner whilst the former owner carries the other gun behind him. Seller can't see how the buyer is carrying the gun till they get around the corner and proffers some friendly advice about carrying the gun open.

Its a tale of every day life, and one of a few possibilities. 

After reading this thread for a while, I think I’d be tempted to give him a knock and say something along the lines of.....’my son and me were cycling past your house the other day when you walked out with an unslipped and closed shotgun, and swept the barrels through me. My son wants you reporting but I don’t think the intention was deliberate, and as one shooter to another I thought it worth mentioning that you should perhaps give it a little more thought next time.’ 
If he responds like a plonker then report him. 

It’s not uncommon here to see people walking down country lanes with a broken gun and personally I wouldn’t think twice about it in the right setting. 

This chap may be a plonker or he may have just made a poor call which was interpreted for the worse by the OP. At best it is poor muzzle awareness, at worst it is waving a firearm at cyclists to deliberately annoy.

Given I am a firm believer that no behaviour that can be attributed to idiocy should be attributed to malice without good supporting information I would send the individual a polite letter, without a return address, highlighting my concerns and leave it at that. 

If it’s illegal or not it’s probably not the best thing to do in the current climate. 

I think most people would probably NOT walk out the house with a gun in full view - legal or not. 

walking between pegs or over a road between fields probably but not unbroken, it’s all contextual, walking around a housing estate.... probably not

Edited by ph5172