SGC renewal questions asked on form about use of sg.

hwr

Friend of mine Oxfordshire way was filling out forms today, said it asked what he would be using his guns for.

My answer was “ shooting.”

I always thought that it was your right to have a SGC but you need permission to have a FAC. Am I correct?

I’ll be calling BSAC tomorrow but just wanted your opinions.

Thanks

H.

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, he could put, clay pigeon shooting, game shooting, pest control, it would be a much broader approach to the question

Morning OPP

I agree, I think that’s a good idea. 
To be honest what else can you legally use one for?

However where’s the question coming from and why, it smells of authority creep to me.

Cheers

H

37 minutes ago, hwr said:

Morning OPP

I agree, I think that’s a good idea. 
To be honest what else can you legally use one for?

However where’s the question coming from and why, it smells of authority creep to me.

Cheers

H

Hello, that is what I have always put on my applications, including TVP, the FEO will ask your friend on his home visit, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

As far as I'm aware you are correct and an SGC is a right and they shouldn't be able to refuse because you don't give a reason.

I simply said a few clays and a bit local pest control. I had written permission for two bits of ground but he wasn't interested in seeing them. 

If your genuine I don't see why you wouldn't have a good reason anyway. When my missus applied we didn't live together at the time and a stipulation of hers was that she wasn't allowed any guns to be kept at her mum and dad's house. All the dealings I've had with feo's makes me fairly confident they are thorough, and I'm glad of it too.

Edited by Farmboy91
Additional info

That may be so however I was asked for what purpose I wanted a shotgun on my visit on application years ago.  In my case it was for clays and I was quizzed about where and if was a member of the club. Don't think it's unreasonable to ask. 

Edited by Mr.C
Deleted use of cheap stereotype to illustrate the argument.

More likely one of those questions to which the answer could give a clue that the respondent is not a suitable person to own a shotgun. 

Q. Why do you want a shotgun?

A: For self-protection

A: To kill all the things

A: IT'S MY RIGHT AS AN ENGLISH CITIZEN TO BEAR ARMS! 

2 hours ago, Mr.C said:

That may be so however I was asked for what purpose I wanted a shotgun on my visit on application years ago.  In my case it was for clays and I was quizzed about where and if was a member of the club. Don't think it's unreasonable to ask. 

No, not unreasonable at all.

I like to think the interview with the feo weeds out anyone unsuitable. 

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

Next renewal it will ask “ can you give details of the land you have permission to shoot on” 🤬🤬🤬

And what clay clubs you are a member of, that's commonly asked round these parts, i have been asked that years ago

thin end of the wedge

you are not going to put down robbing banks are you?

Edited by Vince Green