Pigeonwatch Brain Trust Required

CZ550Kevlar

All, I have a project at work involving Penstock valves, they are basically a sluice gate that you put a big T key on the drive shaft and turn it like you would an Auger, each gates resistance is different depending on when it was installed. (think of it as turning your mains water off in the street, same setup really but keep turning for about 15 mins.)

I need to measure the amount of force it takes to turn the T key to raise and lower these gate valves.

Does anyone know what bit of kit I'm looking for??

First thoughts was something like a tongue wrench with a dial on it  not sure how big  these  things are and the pressure involved  in moving the Tap for want of a better word . Something made that would slip onto the tap at each end and a central bolt for the torgue wrench to fit onto  !!!!!!!!

You can hire rotary torque sensors from instrument hire companies that will tell you everything that you need to know.  You would couple the sensor between the top of the valve shaft and the valve key and the instrument would measure throughout the cycle from closed to open and vice versa.

Look at these people as an example https://www.sensors.co.uk/torque-sensors/

Edited by grrclark

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Just ask ditchman , he'll have the tool you need , or can make you one .

i would use the same process that is described in the rebuilding of a front axel landrover swivel joint.....a small fish scale   0-40lb.........any good

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i would use the same process that is described in the rebuilding of a front axel landrover swivel joint.....a small fish scale   0-40lb.........any good

I was hoping for something with flashing lights and maybe a bell or two 😊.

Luckily the shaft of the T key and the handles are square, with the wrench mentioned above with a dial could be the best option. Does anyone know where I could hire one from? Dont really want to buy one unless they are cheap as after I've used it we won't use it again.

Also it needs to be an adjustable wrench to fit onto the square tubing handle.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are such a cheap tart!:w00t:

It's Simons fault , he's spoiled us . He never just makes something that works , he always makes something that works fantastically,  and looks good enough to win prizes .

1 hour ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

Luckily the shaft of the T key and the handles are square, with the wrench mentioned above with a dial could be the best option. Does anyone know where I could hire one from? Dont really want to buy one unless they are cheap as after I've used it we won't use it again.

Also it needs to be an adjustable wrench to fit onto the square tubing handle.

Do you have any pictures to show how big these things are . Rather than an adjustable  wrench you could cut a spanner to fit that would go on a  torque wrench  welded to a socket that fits the drive on the torque  wrench . We used to make these up were I worked years ago , part of my job was to go around the factory setting up and checking them all and making adjustment to clock and snap wrenches .

Edited by johnphilip

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

It's Simons fault , he's spoiled us . He never just makes something that works , he always makes something that works fantastically,  and looks good enough to win prizes .

i will put/attach my little blonde swishy pony tail on for you to-nite...........defo no bells and whistels...thats / those are just plain rude