Recommend me a shooting vehicle

craig1982

Serious shooting vehicle ??   If so then look for a low mileage late 80s early 90s land Rover Defender.  One of those will take you anywhere a sensible person needs to go and will carry anyhting you shoot.  Not difficult to make a carrying frame for the back tow hirch which you can carry a couple of deer on.  They are a big Meccano set and parts etc are readily available.

3 minutes ago, countryman said:

I have had many land rovers over the years and have the oil stains on the barn floor to prove it, I would look for a nice Toyota Landcruiser.

I would love one but.....they are very heavy. Mate swapped his Freelander for one and then found that he cant get to half of his shoot as it wont take the ground. I reckon if you are on a tight budget the Jimny must be in the running. If you have a bit more cash then a defender. All depends what you mean by a shooting vehicle. 

49 minutes ago, countryman said:

I have had many land rovers over the years and have the oil stains on the barn floor to prove it

I don’t have oil stains, but I have only had Land Rovers since 1976

20 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Lots of keepers drive Jimnys. 

Until they have to do any work, such as moving two or three tons of feed!

5 hours ago, oowee said:

Then now is the time to upgrade to a Lux. A world away from a Defender, far better to drive, 35mpg, £260 tax and not shabby off the tarmac. 

Shogun I think is smaller inside and less efficient and higher tax and insurance?

Some of the newer engine trucks are claiming super efficient figures, 40+ mpg, Ford Ranger EcoBlue claiming 45+ but wonder what they are actually like in real life.

Is it £260 tax as private vehicle? I read a lot of them count as commercial vehicles. 

Most later pickups are classed as commercial and first registered N1 on the V5. This determines road tax rate at £265 BUT also that commercial vehicle speed limits apply.

If you find any registered as M1 (PLG) then higher road tax applies and normal speed limits.

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some of the newer engine trucks are claiming super efficient figures, 40+ mpg, Ford Ranger EcoBlue claiming 45+ but wonder what they are actually like in real life.

Is it £260 tax as private vehicle? I read a lot of them count as commercial vehicles. 

1 hour ago, TR1 said:

Most later pickups are classed as commercial and first registered N1 on the V5. This determines road tax rate at £265 BUT also that commercial vehicle speed limits apply.

If you find any registered as M1 (PLG) then higher road tax applies and normal speed limits.

I think of the newer trucks only the l200 and isuzu have the higher speed limits. The Lux is 70 on the  motorway and 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on a single carriageway. It's enough. :)

11 hours ago, craig1982 said:

I don't use the vehicle for motorway or main roads, I don't shift hay bales etc Just the pigeon gear, the dog at times and nigh time ratting. It's a big step from a Defender to a Jimny but there is a very good argument for the Jimny. 

There won’t be much difference in mpg as the Jimny is poor on fuel judging by my wife’s automatic. Less than my l200.

Others will laugh at this , but have a look on you tube ' CRV off road mudding' ,   I've never been stuck in mine .  So reliable.

1998 -06 , covers the proper ones , later models (look like jelly moulds) have much less ground clearance and are more road based.

The pop up rear window , with rear seats the slide forward is great for shooting 'in the warm'.

Tyres are the key, to making them a good all rounder.

On 03/11/2020 at 18:37, Walker570 said:

Serious shooting vehicle ??   If so then look for a low mileage late 80s early 90s land Rover Defender.  One of those will take you anywhere a sensible person needs to go and will carry anyhting you shoot.  Not difficult to make a carrying frame for the back tow hirch which you can carry a couple of deer on.  They are a big Meccano set and parts etc are readily available.

What he said, but if you want more comfort, Range Rovers are about the same price. Nearly as good but'll not last as long. 

My Land Rover is circa 1989 and was originally a diesel but I purchased it converted to 3.5 V8 but not very well so I put in a new V8 and an LT85 gearbox and Range Rover Classic rear axle (see what I mean about big Meccano set) added a galvanised chassis and still kept the overall price below buying a good Jap pick up second hand.

It does what it says on the label and with the V8 and high ratio box it will happily tick along all day on a long journey.  The intervening cetre cross panel had been taken out when I purchased it so the seats sit further back making it very comfortable to drive even though I am over 6foot.  I run it on LPG and calculate it gives me about a 30mpg return if I drive it sensibly maybe 28 if I open it up.   I have no intention of ever selling it but Landies are holding their price second hand.  Your wanting a shooting/working motor not something for cruising and picking up totty.

On 04/11/2020 at 07:53, oowee said:

I think of the newer trucks only the l200 and isuzu have the higher speed limits. The Lux is 70 on the  motorway and 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on a single carriageway. It's enough. :)

What’s the higher speed limits? 

Isn’t the normal speed limit 70 on a motorway? Lol

Or is it 70 motorway, 70 on dual and 60 on single for the non big trucks?  

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My Land Rover is circa 1989 and was originally a diesel but I purchased it converted to 3.5 V8 but not very well so I put in a new V8 and an LT85 gearbox and Range Rover Classic rear axle (see what I mean about big Meccano set) added a galvanised chassis and still kept the overall price below buying a good Jap pick up second hand.

It does what it says on the label and with the V8 and high ratio box it will happily tick along all day on a long journey.  The intervening cetre cross panel had been taken out when I purchased it so the seats sit further back making it very comfortable to drive even though I am over 6foot.  I run it on LPG and calculate it gives me about a 30mpg return if I drive it sensibly maybe 28 if I open it up.   I have no intention of ever selling it but Landies are holding their price second hand.  Your wanting a shooting/working motor not something for cruising and picking up totty.

You could pick totty up in yours nev , it's one of the sweetest sounding engines that I've ever heard 👍

I have a 2010 ford ranger supercab. I find it a bit tail light if that makes sense, I have fitted bf Goodrich KM3s mud terrains on it and still slide about on the mud. has anybody got any sensible ideas for adding weight to the rear. 

I have in the past filled the spare tyre with water, used cement bags...I have heard about filling rear bumpers with lead? any ideas lads. 

to answer you question, it is very handy being able to lock stuff in the cab. the bed is big enough for a dumpy bag of wheat to fill up feeders etc..

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2020 at 06:43, TR1 said:

You're correct in that commercially registered equals £265/year tax, but thats nothing to do with the speed limits. The default limits of commercial vehicles applies - 60mps on a motorway, 50mph on A-road etc.... UNLESS the vehicle is classed as a "Dual-Purpose Vehicle" and there are strict rules around this. IF you do have a Dual-Purpose Vehicle then the normal speed limits apply.

See this statement from the government website: - 

"A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas
See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (Part 1 Regulation 3) for the full definition."

Note the Unladen Weight rule - and that this is not the kerbweight is one of the key defining criteria. Alot of high-spec pickups will be over this. The basic ones won't be.