Recommend me a shooting vehicle

craig1982

3 hours ago, KronKron said:

M1 rather than N1 in the type approval category 

No that's nots not right... A Dual-Purpose Vehicle can be M1 OR N1 - and in both cases the upper speed limits apply. The fact that the vehicle is a DPV overrides the lower speed restrictions of M1.

I've just looked and cant say that it does. The regs make a lot of reference to car derived vans, but for dual purpose vehicles it refers you back to the construction regs, which state:

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

1 hour ago, TR1 said:

So 86inch where on the v5 is dual purpose vehicle identified ?

It doesn't. There isn't a classification on the V5 as Dual-Purpose vehicle. Which is why they can be M1 or N1 (which defines the taxation class only). 

What constitutes a DPV can be seen on "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986" document.

If your vehicle exhibits the features of a DPV then the upper (default) speed limits apply for it. Simples!

Although what's definitely NOT simple is obtaining the manufacturers Unladen Weight figures (that must include all factory fitted options). Note that the manufacturers usually give Kerb weight, not Unladen Weight. So it can be a minefield.

For all practical purposes, most dual cab pickups (and Defender 110 station wagons & double cabs) will be DPVs.

I am aware of the unladen weight being difficult to obtain , Toyota have never provided me with the info for latest Hilux and ignore the issue. Referring only to kerb weight as you suggest, which is 2090kg for the InvincibleX.

So when you get a ticket from a speed camera (which has taken the N1 class from the DVLA database) how do you provide the DPV data to the authorities to defend the speeding fine?

12 hours ago, TR1 said:

I am aware of the unladen weight being difficult to obtain , Toyota have never provided me with the info for latest Hilux and ignore the issue. Referring only to kerb weight as you suggest, which is 2090kg for the InvincibleX.

So when you get a ticket from a speed camera (which has taken the N1 class from the DVLA database) how do you provide the DPV data to the authorities to defend the speeding fine?

Yeah, now that's a good question! 🙂 But given the kerb weight you only need subtract the weight of driver and fuel and you're well under. Having said that, i've never had a ticket for traversing speed camera areas at 70mph in my Hilux (A55 North Wales for example, quite frequently).

That’s great but without some manufacturer document showing the unladen weight I would guess your plea would go unheard.

Then it’s down to going through legal route with the inevitable costs involved.

Shame the law and motor manufacturers can’t work from the same basis but I guess it’s only the driver who will suffer so no problem.