US Election Results!

Lloyd90

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can great nations be so readily reduced to child like politics, based on half truths and sound bite argument. How easy it seems to be to dupe a whole nation with bluff and bluster.

Does it reflect the education of the masses or the volume of the mob? The States is not the only western nation demonstrating a complete lack of coherence on a world stage.   

1 minute ago, oowee said:

How can great nations be so readily reduced to child like politics, based on half truths and sound bite argument.

I think that it is due to having developed the habit of believing the news as told by the press.

Years ago, when I was at school. the "Nuffield" way of teaching sciencewas being rolled out (on trial I think at that stage).  This was to have a very 'hands on' and practical type of educationThe key 'principles' were;

• Hear and forget
  • See and remember
  • Do and understand

These days - "hear and believe" seems to fit when people hear what they want to hear .......... and "hear and forget" when they hear things they don't want to hear.

We used to have 'trusted' news here from the BBC, but it is notable now how the BBC is no longer considered trustworthy by so many.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think that it is due to having developed the habit of believing the news as told by the press.

Years ago, when I was at school. the "Nuffield" way of teaching sciencewas being rolled out (on trial I think at that stage).  This was to have a very 'hands on' and practical type of educationThe key 'principles' were;

• Hear and forget
  • See and remember
  • Do and understand

These days - "hear and believe" seems to fit when people hear what they want to hear .......... and "hear and forget" when they hear things they don't want to hear.

We used to have 'trusted' news here from the BBC, but it is notable now how the BBC is no longer considered trustworthy by so many.

There is so little, if any analysis of anything, just belief. It's as though religion has been replaced by belief in social media and this in turn is driven by whoever wants to pay the bill or can come up with a catch phrase.

Are the public really so poorly educated, so engrossed in the religion of populism that they cannot discern fact from fiction? Apparently so. 

I don’t believe people are more or less intelligent nowadays. Historically there were relatively few news outlets and they were, in the main, believed because there was no alternative source. Nowadays, with the explosion of social media, everything posted becomes a news article. The same people who would have believed something because it was on the BBC now don’t believe it because countless ‘Karen’s’ have posted something on social media. 

12 minutes ago, AVB said:

The same people who would have believed something because it was on the BBC now don’t believe it

I think that the people who simply believe what someone/social media tells them without further research is possibly higher ......... and I think that more are open to believing the bizarre theories of the likes of David Icke and Piers Corbyn about things like 5G and 'Big Brother' is higher.  Put bluntly, more today would fall for the "Freddy Starr ate my hamster" headlines!

Georgia's flipped (it flipped with less than 1% of the vote to go!), so if it carries on like this and Pennsylvania goes blue as it expected, it'll be a 306-232 college win for Biden. As well as a 4 million+ lead in the popular vote, that loots pretty decisive.

A few ifs in there, but that's looking more likely right now than any route Trump has to get a second term

306-232 is exactly the same as Trump's margin last time round! funny how things turn out (if they do turn out!)

Edited by chrisjpainter

1 minute ago, Townie said:

I was thinking this morning that it’s astonishing that these two candidates are the best that a great nation like the USA can come up with and that a country that put men on the moon half a century ago takes weeks to count votes.

Both absolutely correct - and as you say - astonishing.

I think the situation both in America and across the western world shows the lack of trust the "average" person has for the "establishment". The working class has had enough and no longer believes the experts or the government, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly, but I think things will get worse before it gets better. 

22 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

shows the lack of trust the "average" person has for the "establishment"

I don't disagree and think much of this has to do with the politicians (selected at random from memory) and their backgrounds;

Many have been what I would call "non-working" all their lives, including Biden, Corbyn, John MacDonnell, Diane Abbott, Milliband, Callaghan, Portillo, George Osborne, and many and many others in the UK, who have been political researchers, union officials, council officers etc.

Then there is a sort of 'half working' (my view) who have been journalists, lawyers, public relations, finance/banking etc. including Johnson, Starmer, Priti Patel, Cameron, Sunak, Raab, Ed Balls, Clegg, Yvette Cooper, Reece Mogg, Nigel Lawson, etc.

Then there are some who have worked 'properly' (or done a military career), ........ but they are hard to find!  A few from memory were Thatcher (chemist), Tebbit (pilot), William Whitelaw (military followed by estate management), Peter (Lord) Carrington (military), Philip Hammond (industry),

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think the situation both in America and across the western world shows the lack of trust the "average" person has for the "establishment". The working class has had enough and no longer believes the experts or the government, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly, but I think things will get worse before it gets better. 

your bang on the money i have never voted because all politicians are LIARS 

35 minutes ago, The Heron said:

When I went to bed at 1/30 the score was Biden 253 Trump was 213 I get up this morning and nothing has changed how come nothing altered? 

Because although Georgia's flipped, it's only flipped in real time votes. No one is confident enough to say that the change is locked in. There haven't been any states called officially since Wisconsin. We're still waiting for these to be officially called - right now they just have a candidate leading:

Alaska (Trump leading, will definitely stay Trump)

N. Carolina (Trump leading, almost certainly will stay)

Nevada (Biden leading, looks set to stay)

Arizona (Biden leading, looks set to stay)

Georgia (Biden's just flipped it, the margin's 1000 but growing) 

Pennsylvania (Trump leads by 18k, Biden will almost certainly take this - eventually!)

Edited by chrisjpainter

On 04/11/2020 at 17:16, JohnfromUK said:

Farage has apparently placed a bet of £10,000 for Trump to win

...oops!

On 04/11/2020 at 10:41, Rewulf said:

I have £55 in bets that Trump wins between 270 and 299 electoral college votes (thereby retaining the presidency) at between 6 and 7 to 1 odds.
Im pretty confident in that bet ....now 

And now?

Funny world this, Trump was never given a fair chance, you do remember, when he was working for Russia, to his impeachment, not one bit of evidence on either, so what has he done?

Build the wall keep illegals out

Take on Iran, The breader of all terrorists

Bring American jobs back to the US

Get Nato to pay it's fair share of defence, and not the US $

Arab nations recognising Iserial

Oh and I nearly forgot, China sells, but doesnt buy, not with Trump around.

no other President did what they said they would, Biden at this stage looks like he is winning, It' clear to this Englishman that he will be a dudd, like Obama, Carter etc, oh well it's called democracy.

Edited by P08

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

I think it just shows they’ve had enough of a wealthy, old, out of touch white man in the Oval Office and are demanding change.

Really? Was the Clinton's, Bush not white and poor? Was Obama poor? Is Biden not old and wealthy? 

There's a bigger picture, just look at what's happening to politics right across the western world.