Winchester SXP???

Madyarra

I have an sxp that I use for everything its been pretty good and well worth the money. The only issue is spares, the after sales service from browning is woeful its only broken once but took months for the part to be sent. I also have a benelli supernova which seems to be made from chocolate, however gmk and benelli are excellent to deal with. 

Edited by storm in a teacup

Just got mine out, as stotm says above parts are a nightmare. 

This is my second as the part shown broke and they just exchanged it instead of fixing. 

Great guns tho, light, pointable and fast handling. The pump sliding back a notch to help with a faster reload takes a bit of getting used to, but by hell its a fast pumping gun. No wonder the goule brothers in America use it for trick shooting. 

IMG_20201104_093235.jpg

16044824042733204564689823450526.jpg

Oh like most American guns they are made for dwarfs, so get a extension ready if your over 4'8" 😂

I have a SXP that has been pretty heavily used on the foreshore.  Great fowling and pigeon gun, as above the pump moves back by  itself and this took me a little time to get used to and would catch me out with 3.5 inch shells as the recoil was enough for it to pump itself with out me realising, I would then pump it and find a live shell at my feet and think their was fault with the gun!   It works well with the Kicks hi flyer extra full.  The only time I had a problem with mine was when it locked up completely as I tried to pump it to eject a fired shell.  Couldn't get it to budge for anything, luckily it was the last shot of the flight.

Took the barrel off and tried ramming the cartridge and extractor out of the breech with a rod from the muzzle end but no joy.  Took it to the local gun shop and they had it sorted..........he asked why there was half the beach in the bolt!    The bolt is a rotating bolt (like the bennelli?) and my cleaning regime had neglected ever stripping and cleaning the bolt and after a few seasons of mud and sand it was totally clogged and would not rotate so jammed up.

Never had a problem since.

I would recommend getting one if you think you want to try a pump.

Mossberg 535  never misses a beat  anything up to 3.5"  saddlery and gunroom  parts readily available  if you need any    heavy use no parts needed a 👍 from me      i looked at a few other pumps before  a 6 hour round trip rather than   rfd    about 6 years of  heavy use no dramas

14 hours ago, Madyarra said:

Are there any advocates of the Winchester SXP? If anyone has proven experience I’d love to hear it. I’m having a nightmare with a new semi and just wanting something I can rely on.

what semi auto and what problems

Edited by Saltings

I had a SXP , but it broke a couple of times . Fabulous while it worked ! (It fired sometimes when I pumped it, Ifound out adrenalin was brown).

Swapped it for a Hatsan Field Hunter , which has performed faultlessly , and has shims , to lengthen the stock and, others to trim it 

left or right to make it fit.

@Saltings got one of the new franchi affinity 3.5 elites only had it out twice and the cerakote has came off the action, magazine followed has jammed twice and the recoil spring has took the finish off the magazine tube. Pretty much lost confidence in the build quality so gonna get the pump as a stop gap while I save for an A400 which is what I wanted originally.

So with it being away on warranty rather than missing however long of the season while it’s sorted might aswell get a cheap pump and get out. Who knows how long it will be away with this COVID carry on.

i have two extrema 1     my son and i wildfowling never to sell    mossberg 535 for me if they both come as lighter to carry    the extrema 1 is industrial  heavy built to last  if you can find one buy it    seriously buy it        i have  compared the guts to others inc 400  too much plastic everything lightened accountants cutting costs  for quality   wildfowling  mates  are on their third or fourth gun in the last 15 years   mossberg 535 lighter to carry  a couple of pounds over a couple of miles  at my age makes a difference  + a good walk to the tides edge  the extrema 1 will cycle anything from 2" to 3.5" the mossberg the same    my advise buy cheap buy twice     save and buy the best you can afford   even a revo k200 ou       if going out on the salt marsh from new i spray all metalwork with stove paint and flash over with a gas torch to cure   mat finish   protects the original bluing    

Edited by Saltings

On 05/11/2020 at 08:16, Madyarra said:

@Saltings got one of the new franchi affinity 3.5 elites only had it out twice and the cerakote has came off the action, magazine followed has jammed twice and the recoil spring has took the finish off the magazine tube. Pretty much lost confidence in the build quality so gonna get the pump as a stop gap while I save for an A400 which is what I wanted originally.

So with it being away on warranty rather than missing however long of the season while it’s sorted might aswell get a cheap pump and get out. Who knows how long it will be away with this COVID carry on.

I boughs a400 Xcel the blue receiver earlier in the year been great for clays pigeons and duck hides can’t fault it 👍👍

There is a torture test on YouTube of a fella getting a selection of pump guns wet muddy and sandy.

The one he hates as cheap junk turned out to be the most reliable and worked when all others failed. It either a Mossberg or Remington can't remember which. The video is well worth a watch. 

Edited by figgy