Isuzu blade

Blakloks

1 hour ago, Blakloks said:

I need to change my discovery 2 to something better mpg wise

Unless you have cash sitting in your account earning no interest, trading up from a 'thirsty banger' to a supposedly more fuel efficient modern vehicle is unlikely to save you money.  Especially if you're doing urban driving rather than long runs.

I'm certainly not much better off, after doing a similar upgrade, though I did go for a notoriously inefficient L200 Auto.

Caveat Spreadsheetor, as the romans said.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Unless you have cash sitting in your account earning no interest, trading up from a 'thirsty banger' to a supposedly more fuel efficient modern vehicle is unlikely to save you money.  Especially if you're doing urban driving rather than long runs.

I'm certainly not much better off, after doing a similar upgrade, though I did go for a notoriously inefficient L200 Auto.

This is very true. Lot to be said for bangernomics. Unless fuel goes up a lot, and if your current motor is otherwise sound, stick with what you have got. 

16 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Brilliant absolutely brilliant. :lol:

I used said sheetor to convince myself to get an A2 to run about it when I need to go into Town rather than take my truck, or my wifes 4x4. Amazing that the numbers came out in favour of my proposal. That said its a lot easier to park :blush:

Edited by oowee

Not sure how people are getting such good fuel economy. A couple of years ago we used a 64 plate Blade for a 1400 mile round trip and it returned figures of 28-29mpg. That was mostly motorway work too.

Edited by walshie

19 hours ago, Blakloks said:

Does anybody run an Isuzu blade or Dmax 14/15 plate? If so what you getting fuel wise I need to change my discovery 2 to something better mpg wise as I use it daily for travelling around town for work 8-15 miles a day stop start but also need something to use for shooting/beating. 

I have the huntsman one of the last 2.5 diesels as said 32 to 35 mpg. Keeper mate has one of the 1.9 new one's returns the same. There very good off road. Only thing I was told is if your doing a lot of towing get the automatic little heavier on fuel but saves on clutches. Had a disco 2 for 15 years and that returned about the same. The pickup is far more useful you can get everything in it and more besides. 

You here lots of silly tales of MPG for pick up trucks . I run a low mileage 2010 l200 warrior . I recently did a 150 mile round trip and returned a solid 34 miles per gallon at an average speed of 60 mph . I was more than satisfied with the trucks performance. I have had most of jap pickups and 2 discos ,with out a doubt the land rovers were both rubbish ,both for performance and reliability. Every time I see a Land Rover on the road I cross my self and say a prayer for the driver .

harnser

6 hours ago, mellors said:

The pickup is far more useful you can get everything in it and more besides. 

This is it.

Whilst I haven't saved money over my old W-plate Disco 2, the benefits of a more modern double cab pick up are definitely there.  The ability to have a separate load area and passenger makes such a difference. 

Modern seats do make a difference on a long journey (though I gather Landie thrones can be reconditioned for sensible money)

And so on...But the economic arguments require @oowee levels of spreadsheet wrangling.

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

Every time I see a Land Rover on the road I cross my self and say a prayer for the driver .

Only times I've ever broken down in a Landie is due to lack of maintenance, one time was a serp belt snapping in the TD5 Disco.  Another was the battery dying (200tdi Disco), said battery was 8yrs old, and previous owner hadn't let the alt belt slip for gawd knows how long...