Royal British Legion.

bruno22rf

Now this is not a bashing thread by any means, nor am I in anyway shape or form against remembering those that lost their lives in our defence (I have attended remembrance sunday every year since I can remember and will do so this year despite the RBL saying that I cannot) but the news that the boss of the RBL is on £130k+ and that the charity is sitting on £70million is a little bewildering? Is this old news?

Edited by bruno22rf

Same as a lot of charities bruno Lacs were left a few million by some old cat lady 1st thing they did was give themselves large pay rises. If those at the the Rbl  were the boss of a private company the same size he/she would be on way more salary and perks. This is why I only ever give to small local charities and I wish more people would do the same.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

This is not new.  I had friends in Solihull who lived in a very upmarket road and their next door neighbour was one if not the boss of OXFAM. Brand spanking new Zephyr Zodiac all singing all dancing, in the drive, obviously not just taking a basic wage.

Might this have been sometime last century?

The legion used to be mainly run by Veterans for Veterans, but these days most of the "management" are civies and have never served, the same as the clubs that are now more civi orientated than Veteran with most of the commities being civi's.

The legion has also come under criticism just recently for deciding to close down their convelesance holiday hotels, a move that was just announced without consultation, the reason was to save millions of pounds, and yet they were fully used and a real asset to those that used them.

Of they closed the hotels that were used and benefitted the ones on need, they're just cutting costs and not delivering.

Had a lad I worked with ex blues and royals mounted. He aske the legion for help, was told no, he wasn't a happy bunny and said quite a few servicemen had same from the rbl. He got help elsewhere. There was criteria to be met for help and he had it but still no.

Them sitting on 70 mil I'm not sure if it's a good thing that invested can make money to pay for things, or that it should have been used to help those in need.

Lots of big charities are really businesses and ran as such.

I've cut right back on who I give to and air ambulance is main one along with mountain rescue. Now usually local charities if I see a box I'll donate.

What’s so wrong with it? 

Do we want someone who can run an organisation of that size, take on the responsibility and be paid average U.K. income of something like £30k? 

Dream on. 

Complaining about wages of a very small number of people in very high jobs is just wage envy. 

It’s like comparing footballers to nurses. They can train thousands of new nurses every year. 

You can’t pump out thousands of players on the level of Ronaldo every year. 

Also not sure of the relevance of the fact they have £70m in the bank? Are they supposed to run on a zero sum balance every year? So every year they give away everything they get in? 
Good luck running a huge organisation on that kind of instability. 

All the big charities have savings, it allows them to commit to long term projects, have an idea of their income and outgoings and they often invest it for more income to be used for the cause. 

Don’t see an issue with it. 

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What’s so wrong with it? 

Do we want someone who can run an organisation of that size, take on the responsibility and be paid average U.K. income of something like £30k? 

Dream on. 

Complaining about wages of a very small number of people in very high jobs is just wage envy. 

It’s like comparing footballers to nurses. They can train thousands of new nurses every year. 

You can’t pump out thousands of players on the level of Ronaldo every year. 

Also not sure of the relevance of the fact they have £70m in the bank? Are they supposed to run on a zero sum balance every year? So every year they give away everything they get in? 
Good luck running a huge organisation on that kind of instability. 

All the big charities have savings, it allows them to commit to long term projects, have an idea of their income and outgoings and they often invest it for more income to be used for the cause. 

Don’t see an issue with it. 

I just think my £20 is likely to do more good by giving it to JD rather than the RBL.

You need 'good people' with a business background to run an organisation which does handle a lot of money, manages a lot of people (including a great many volunteers) ......... and is in effect a (very particular type of) business.

The charity "Kids Company" headed by the flamboyant Camilla Batmanghelich illustrates just how badly things can go wrong if the wrong person is at the helm. 

A steady headed and skilled brain is needed at the helm, and is worth paying for (within reason).  Although large by 'normal' standards, a £130K salary for running a multimillion pound organisation/business with thousands of people involved is actually much less that many similar sized 'strictly businesses'. seniors or senior legal/financial/medical professionals/practices.