Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Wanted to ask for recommendations for a tripod for foxing il be standing with 222 on it ! been looking on line but lot of cheap rubbish about probably be better making my own ANY Suggestions 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Primos Gen 3 Trigger Stick with 2 point rifle rest. I've used mine for a few years now and it's excellent. I attached some velcro strips to the rest, so that they hold the rifle securely without the need to hold it constantly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried, bipod's, tripods, and so on. Quad sticks are the way to go. The 2 point rest on the tripod is because they are not steady enough alone as otherwise you have 1 point of contact allowing the stock to move freely. They are also more prone to failure of the tubes in the field, not so easy to carry but probably better in an ambush being able to leave the rifle in place.

Quad sticks are so stable that I zero my rifle off mine. Easy to carry and quick to deploy. They work up hill, down hill and they can traverse a tripod simply cannot do those things as easily. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quad stick for me     ive shot foxes out to over 200yds at night with ease off them

saying that a couple of mates are using camera tripods with 360 heads and the saddle clamps

if anyone is intrested i will sort out some pics of there set ups   all the bits come from ebay

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wabbit warren said:

Quad stick for me     ive shot foxes out to over 200yds at night with ease off them

saying that a couple of mates are using camera tripods with 360 heads and the saddle clamps

if anyone is intrested i will sort out some pics of there set ups   all the bits come from ebay

My Primos trigger stick is fitted with a 360 degree swivel head and hog saddle clamp. Very sturdy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wabbit warren said:

Quad stick for me     ive shot foxes out to over 200yds at night with ease off them

saying that a couple of mates are using camera tripods with 360 heads and the saddle clamps

if anyone is intrested i will sort out some pics of there set ups   all the bits come from ebay

That would be great give me idea of options which way to use them 👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had x2 sets of the primo trigger sticks and on both had problems with legs either seizing up on one, and other collapsing, now use the Rekon tripod after using manfrotto tripod with monkey clamp for many yrs, tripods are great for static positions where you can leave rifle in clamp and use both hands freely for using bino or NV spotter, tripod and clamp has to be strong enough to support your rifle, also use viper flex quad sticks when doing a lot of walking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wabbit warren said:

my mate now takes a fishing chair with him clamps the rifle into the saddle clamp on his tripod and sits back

caller out and thermal spotter in left hand  

:lol: Getting on a bit is he? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wabbit warren said:

omg yer   ripe old age of 57  lol ☺️

no he says you sit still more than stand still 

Nowt wrong with 57 :blush: :lol:I get that on a stake out but mobile is the key for more numbers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i was out Tuesday night   shot two from a high seat before 6.00pm went for a walk at 8.00pm and shot two more

and also warmed up  again   lol

to be honest i like both tactics the only thing i dont like is driving round shooting   i feel you miss to much of whats going on

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use both. The quad sticks win for stability, but the tripod is good for some situations. Shooting at very steep angles; shooting from seated; changing point of aim quickly. Also, when I'm baiting pigs, it's useful to have the rifle all setup and ready to go. They can be quite sensitive to noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Primos tripod trigger sticks for me, I shot eight Wednesday night all standing. My mates Ewes are lambing so a fair bit of walking around on hilly ground. They are quick, self levelling, and light most shots I take are within 150 yards I’ve never tried clamps or quad sticks so can’t vouch for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stevieknuckles said:

Primos tripod trigger sticks for me, I shot eight Wednesday night all standing. My mates Ewes are lambing so a fair bit of walking around on hilly ground. They are quick, self levelling, and light most shots I take are within 150 yards I’ve never tried clamps or quad sticks so can’t vouch for them.

Good job mate I’ve been on net researching and the primos tripod got great reviews 👍👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2020 at 08:58, Gerry78 said:

Good job mate I’ve been on net researching and the primos tripod got great reviews 👍👍👍

As I mentioned before, I've used a Primos Gen 3 tripod for a few years. I purchased a 2 point gun rest, which was excellent, but have now fitted a 360 degree panoramic camera tripod head quick release. It's brilliant and fits perfectly on the Primos (Ebay # 123233775281)

Edited by steve_b_wales
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

As I mentioned before, I've used a Primos Gen 3 tripod for a few years. I purchased a 2 point gun rest, which was excellent, but have now fitted a 360 degree panoramic camera tripod head quick release. It's brilliant and fits perfectly on the Primos (Ebay # 123233775281)

Thanks mate il also have a look 👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...