Extra baffle on moderator

30-6

On the .223 I have a DPT moderator, non- magnum .22 option.

If zeroing I use over ear protection as a lot of shots are to be expected. If just one or two shots are expected I use Napier 9 ear protection ( shotgun ), which allows a little outside noise to be heard.

If I purchased another baffle to add on, would that allow me to dismiss ear protection for one or two shots ? Or would it still not be quiet enough ?

So many variables. I have the same moderator on my 7mm08. Definitely wear good ear protection for target shooting/zeroing, but not for hunting. When hunting, I barely hear the shot! Some psychology going on there. I think the best thing to do would be to drop a message to DPT. They are a very helpful bunch and normally answer my daft queries within 24 hours.

http://www.dpt.co.nz/contact-form.php

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

So many variables. I have the same moderator on my 7mm08. Definitely wear good ear protection for target shooting/zeroing, but not for hunting. When hunting, I barely hear the shot! Some psychology going on there. I think the best thing to do would be to drop a message to DPT. They are a very helpful bunch and normally answer my daft queries within 24 hours.

Likewise, I have a T8 on my .308 and use ear protection for zeroing but never when hunting and I never hear it go off.

Eh?

5 hours ago, 30-6 said:

On the .223 I have a DPT moderator, non- magnum .22 option.

If zeroing I use over ear protection as a lot of shots are to be expected. If just one or two shots are expected I use Napier 9 ear protection ( shotgun ), which allows a little outside noise to be heard.

If I purchased another baffle to add on, would that allow me to dismiss ear protection for one or two shots ? Or would it still not be quiet enough ?

I have the same on my .223 and also wondered what difference extra baffel's might make. Particularly for trying to hide the location of the shot. I broke my first one and the service I received from DPT for a replacement part was second to none.

I have now bought one of their stocks for my tikka 223. It would not suit everyone with its ar15 pistol grip which makes lifting it to sticks with top heavy NV a piece of cake.  It's a brilliant tool for foxing allowing the full length of the stock to be rested on the sticks making it a very stable platform.

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

You’ll not get it down to totally safe without sub sonic ammo.  From personal experience I’d never risk my hearing, hearing aids are a pain in the bum. 

What would the decibels be on a Moderated .223? As others have said I hardly hear the shot when lamping, the impact seems much more obvious.

1 hour ago, kennett said:

What would the decibels be on a Moderated .223? As others have said I hardly hear the shot when lamping, the impact seems much more obvious.

Unmoderated a 223 is around 160 Db at the quieter end a good moderator reduces the sound about 27 Db so your at 133 Db anything over 96Db is damaging.  

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Unmoderated a 223 is around 160 Db at the quieter end a good moderator reduces the sound about 27 Db so your at 133 Db anything over 96Db is damaging.  

What’s a 12g then daf ? 

I never knew a 223 was that loud . 

Ok I was interested in this so googled it . I’m shocked 

CF79C1C5-17A8-4571-89EA-6C4E1DEC3FDD.png

FBD92C07-7ED6-40D6-88E3-1E83E86A22F8.png

On 05/11/2020 at 14:18, Houseplant said:

On 05/11/2020 at 16:37, London Best said:

Likewise, I have a T8 on my .308 and use ear protection for zeroing but never when hunting and I never hear it go off.

Eh?

You might not register hearing the shot but its still doing the damage to your hearing!

7 hours ago, London Best said:

I have been pretty deaf for nearly forty years.

My wife says it is selective:yahoo:

I have mods fitted on most of my barrels other than the 300H&H  8x57 double and the 375JDJ.  I admit I have never noticed a pressure wave from either of the moderated barrels from 17Rem 22BR 257RRI 7-30 Waters all on 16 inch barrels.  I wear in ear protection and Big Heavy duty muffs for the 375JDJ and the 300H&H. 

Had pretty good hearing up to about 6yrs ago when left one started to fail but Heh!! that is after over 60yrs of shooting and being present when shooting was taking place.

NOT SAYING you should not take precautions, you should.

If you are still getting a noise at muzzle then the mod you have is not doing the job get a new better model. You will not ever get rid of the noise as the bullet rtaels through the air.

I can’t hear women say no!

Seriously, I can’t tell what folk say in a crowded pub ( not that I go in pubs much), especially women if I’m not used to their voice. Tyre noise or inside an aircraft and I am hopeless. I haven’t heard little birds sing for 40 years, the last 5/6 years even blackbirds. But I can hear geese a mile away ( two miles if necessary!). I worked in machine shops for 55 years and blame this more than shooting, as very few of my shooting friends are deaf. I do have a moderator on my stalking rifle (.308) due to FC regulations but never bothered with one on the .375 H&H which was like HMS Hood.

When I started shooting 20 years ago hearing protection was very uncommon. I have some tinnitus, the new slim ear defenders are great and so low cost. I must admit that I never wear them when lamping foxes but I do when zeroing. My ears always hum after lamping but with the moderator assumed it was tiredness 🤣

Like London Best I cannot hear women in crowded places, but the wing of a wigeon at 100 paces is like a freight train. I had my hearing tested and it was better than perfect, which surprised me, maybe it is selective after all 🤣

13 hours ago, London Best said:

Seriously, I can’t tell what folk say in a crowded pub ( not that I go in pubs much), especially women if I’m not used to their voice. Tyre noise or inside an aircraft and I am hopeless. I haven’t heard little birds sing for 40 years, the last 5/6 years even blackbirds. But I can hear geese a mile away ( two miles if necessary!).

That is familiar and my audiologist tells me symptomatic of noise induced hearing loss!

14 hours ago, London Best said:

Seriously, I can’t tell what folk say in a crowded pub ( not that I go in pubs much), especially women if I’m not used to their voice. Tyre noise or inside an aircraft and I am hopeless. I haven’t heard little birds sing for 40 years, the last 5/6 years even blackbirds. But I can hear geese a mile away ( two miles if necessary!). I worked in machine shops for 55 years and blame this more than shooting, as very few of my shooting friends are deaf. I do have a moderator on my stalking rifle (.308) due to FC regulations but never bothered with one on the .375 H&H which was like HMS Hood.

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

That is familiar and my audiologist tells me symptomatic of noise induced hearing loss!

But more likely to be age related!:w00t:

What baffles me (pun intended!) is why it is difficult/illegal to own a suppressor in so many countries and even some American states. Anyone who has actually fired a centrefire rifle will tell you that a suppressor does not make a rifle silent like in the movies, it's still bloody loud and a risk to hearing! 

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But more likely to be age related!

Or hereditary. Father was deaf, both his sisters too, and my Grandmothers on both sides, also my sister. I do not blame shooting. I have a friend who has done lots more shooting than me but can hear a pin drop across a field.