Defender clutch modification

JohnfromUK

I have a 1993 200 tdi Defender with the LT77 gearbox.  All is well with it and I have owned it for 24 years.  However, as I get older (and traffic gets heavier) I find the clutch very heavy when crawling in stop start traffic.  I have heard that the pedal assembly can be either replaced/modified to considerably reduce clutch effort based on the 300 tdi system. 

On the 200 tdi the pedal itself has a return spring that is a 'stretch type' coil spring I believe.  The later ones used on 300 tdi vehicles have a different type of spring that curls around the axle on which the pedal pivots.  I believe that there used to be a 'kit' to do this, but the only one I have seen recently seemed much more complex?  Does anyone know;

1. if this mod works OK and doesn't bring in other problems?
  2. of any kits available?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies (so far).

I don't think it is a heavy duty clutch (I did have it replaced ...... in 1996 - and don't think I had anything non standard.

A servo would help - but I know there was a quite easy 'fix' of changing pedal return spring spring - which is where the weight is.  A couple of years ago, I had the master and slave cylinder replaced - and even with those out - there is a very strong pedal return spring - and the guy who did the work told me about the kit - and I should have had it done then, but I didn't have the time as the car was needed - and let it lapse.  I'm sure a servo could be made to fit, although there isn't an obvious place where it would be all that easy - but I don't think that is the real problem.  300 tdi (and TD5) are much better without a servo.

This https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/pedal-assist-products/l-o-f-powerspring-pedal-assister-kit/

is the sort of thing - and I think I will need to speak to them - as the article suggests that the pedal box can be changed.

I am currently driving a 2009 2.5 Puma engined 110 and I have to say that the clutch on that is still not what you would call light when you have held it down for a while. I can’t honestly say if it is better/worse than my 300 tdi/R380 box job, or any different to my LT77 box with the old Turbodiesel. I never owned a 200tdi/LT77. Like you say, old age may be creeping upon us!

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I am currently driving a 2009 2.5 Puma engined 110 and I have to say that the clutch on that is still not what you would call light when you have held it down for a while. I can’t honestly say if it is better/worse than my 300 tdi/R380 box job, or any different to my LT77 box with the old Turbodiesel. I never owned a 200tdi/LT77. Like you say, old age may be creeping upon us!

There is a lot of difference between 200 tdi and earlier - which use a linear 'stretch' return spring (like a series II and III) for the pedal and are very heavy - and 300 tdi and later, which use an 'over centre' style radial coil - which are a good deal lighter (I have only driven 300 tdi and TD5). 

Having eventually opened the can of worms - I spoke (phone) to the guy at LOF clutches who was very helpful.  Apparently the spring kit they do can only be fitted to 200 tdi with a new pedal box - which is a faff (as well as expensive) as the pedal itself is different to take the new spring.  He recommends a master cylinder change - which is both relatively cheap and quite easy.  This is their web page https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/pedal-assist-products/lof-power-master-for-defender-series/

Thoughts invited as I'm not in any great hurry to order.

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I looked at putting an hydraulic assisted cluth kit on mine but then decided the outlay was really not sensible as I rarely sit in traffic, the clutch pedal is on and off just to change gear.

Exactly why I have not acted so far, but I do take it occasionally and get stuck in a jam - and it does get hard work!  It looks like the 'special slave' (link as above) is £45 for the part, which isn't a big outlay when a tank of fuel costs a good deal more.

i had forgotten about the pink panthers  spare wheel laid down to push and sitting on a massive petrol tank  not a seat box   no windscreens   a mate used to get these out of litchfield auctions 30yrs ago refurb or spares  inc 101 v8   and lightweights       had a s3 safari 109 2.25d  i put 120k on it  loved it    sold it on  still about today  l reg  72    3 engines rebores  5 gearboxes rebuilds  1 chassis changed by me inc 1 engine and gearbox orig Salaberry diff  a bit like the two ronnies sketch  broom    tell me a modern vehicle lives over 10 yrs